“Excellent View with Great Location”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #36 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mandaluyong, Philippines
“Excellent View with Great Location”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Sitting right near the edge of Pier 1 and with a great shopping experience right across the street (not to mention breakfast, lunch, or dinner, too) this place was a spectacular hotel. We asked for a corner room since we were staying there two nights as part of our honeymoon and they obliged. We stayed on at least five stories up, which kept any traffic noise out of earshot. I'm not sure if there would be any traffic noise at night anyway.

The room was average in size but nice in amenities.We very much enjoyed the view of the Bayside Bridge. The fog in the morning is an incredible sight to wake up to.

We very much enjoyed the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keith B
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Keith B,
First of all—Congratulations! Second of all—thank you for choosing to stay with us for such a momentous occasion. I am glad that you enjoyed exploring the Embarcadero area as well as your time at Hotel Vitale. We look forward to seeing you next year for the first anniversary!

Antoine Berberi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Vitale during a girls' getaway weekend. What a convenience to be able to leave the car at home and take the ferry to the city. Hotel Vitale is directly across the street from the Ferry Building, so it's just a quick walk from the ferry to the hotel. Valet parking at the hotel is $55, so I highly recommend taking some sort of transit there instead of driving.

Check in at Hotel Vitale was quick and easy. Our room was spacious and updated. It provided everything we needed and a comfortable, quiet night's sleep. While we didn't have a bay view from our room, we went up to the rooftop, located on the spa level, and sat out there overlooking the water. If the weather's nice, this is a really lovely way to spend an afternoon.

The concierge was extremely helpful with dinner reservations and just friendly in general. We ended up eating at the hotel's restaurant, Americano, one night, and our meal was very, very good. I would go back to the hotel for the restaurant alone. Other restaurants I recommend in the area include Barbacco and Perbacco, plus all the great options in the Ferry Building. We enjoyed walking over in the morning for Blue Bottle coffee and Pepples donuts. Boulette's Larder is wonderful for brunch.

Don't miss Hotel Vitale's spa. In particular, their rooftop "bathing ritual" is pretty amazing. They have outdoor spa baths, where you soak peacefully amidst rose petals while looking up at the sky. Absolutely heavenly and very relaxing.

In all, we had a great weekend at Hotel Vitale. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Erin74,
Thank you (and the girls!) for choosing us for your weekend “staycation”. The ferry is one of the most relaxing ways to travel our hotel and it is so convenient. I am so glad that you were able to try our spa and restaurant as well—it sounds like you didn’t even need to leave the building! Next time you are planning a ladies getaway, you may like to try one of our “Wellness Experiences”—they are special one-day retreats at our spa that include massage, meditation, healthy eating, and more. More information on our website if you are interested—we hope to see you there!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 15, 2014

The hotel is in a great location across the street from the Embarcadero and the Ferry Terminal. Rooms are clean and comfortable and the employees are very friendly. Unfortunately when we arrived the rooms with views were already taken.
We had a very quiet room, albeit no view. The color schemes throughout are very pleasing. They have wonderful towels in the bathrooms. Improvements could be made with the addition of curved shower rods instead of the old straight rusty ones. Also they should get rid of the tray of snacks for sale, it cheapens the room. The addition of a coffee maker would make much more sense.
We went to Walgreens to buy Clipper passes for transportation around the city. However, The San Francisco Railway Museum is directly behind the hotel. It is small but really interesting and it's free, hours are 6 to 10. You can also buy Clipper passes there. The 3 day pass is best, allows you to ride the buses, trolleys and cable cars. The Hotel is within walking distance to the Fisherman’s Wharf and Pier 39; however, a Muni Pass comes in handy if you don't feel like walking. If you drive a vehicle to the hotel, be prepared to pay $63 (incl. tax) daily to park at the hotel. Parking a car in San Fran. is expensive anywhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear buckranger,
If you are interested in bay views and your room is facing the city, nearly all of our rooftop terraces open to everyone. They are a fantastic way to enjoy the sights and outdoors without even having to leave the hotel. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our guest rooms, and so I greatly appreciate your suggestions. Also, you are always welcome to request a coffee maker from the front desk and they will arrange to have one placed in your room. I am glad you enjoyed the Muni Museum—the story of our vintage streetcars is quite unique. Thank you for visiting and we hope to see you again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Vitale for three nights last week. We really loved the convenience of the location. It's across the street from Boulevard Restaurant and a block away from the Ferry Building Marketplace. It is also a few blocks away from the Embarcadero BART station.

On our first day, the hotel welcomed us by sending us wine and a cheese/fruit plate. We were pleasantly surprised and it was delicious.

We really enjoyed the morning coffee and tea setup in the lobby. Plus being a tea drinker, I was really impressed that they served quality tea - Mighty Leaf Tea.

There is a small, 24 hour fitness room which we both used during our stay. I really enjoyed the free morning yoga but on our last day, it was cancelled. Treasure was our yoga instructor on the mornings that it was available. It was so nice to have personalized yoga instruction with a few of the waterfront in the room that we used. We also used the business center a few times, which was on the same floor as the fitness center.

The staff was very nice and friendly. Our maid was okay. One day we returned to a clean room but she forgot to replenish the bathroom supplies. Another day, the maid forgot to remove the dirty utensils and glasses that we used. Otherwise, the room was always clean.

The bed was very comfortable so we always slept really well.

Also, it was the Stanley Cup playoffs and some hotels don't have many cable channels, but Hotel Vitale had the other sports channels as well! We were so excited that we were able to watch the hockey playoff games in our room.

I would love to stay here again when I return to San Francisco!

Room Tip: We had a partial waterfront view overlooking the Bay Bridge.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear sfslinky,
I would absolutely say that our location is one of the most convenient and beautiful you can find in the city. I am glad you enjoyed our tea selection, we always try to keep things local and Mighty Leaf Tea was actually started by a husband-and-wife team in San Francisco. Thank you for attending our morning yoga sessions—they are the best way to wake up and begin your day. As a part of our “Green Dreams” sustainability program, we replenish bath products only when necessary. If your amenities have not been replaced, please let us know and we will be happy to send some up. We look forward to welcome you back when you return to San Francisco!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I expected a top quality hotel with elegant service after I had been referred to this hotel. What I found upon arrival was quite disappointing. The first room I was given (an actual upgraded room) had worn, cheap furniture and one piece was actually broken - with a door hanging off. My new room had the same quality , just no damage. During the middle of my light meal, sitting at the restaurant bar, a bartender ( not the one who had served me) walked over, reached across my plate - while I even had a forkful of food - grabbed a lemon wedge and proceeded to squeeze it all over my food. I was half way through my dish and he just leaned in and started messing with it! Runnier a nice quiet meal. The rest of the stay was up eventful but not pleasurable and, for the price, very disappointing.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear kaodonnell,
First and foremost, allow me to offer my sincere apologies for your less than perfect stay with us. I can assure that we have an ongoing preventative maintenance program for our rooms and always appreciate feedback on what we can do to improve. Additionally, I am appalled at your dining experience—please know that it not typical of how we serve our guests. I will be sure to address this with our food and beverage team. Please contact me directly next time you are visiting San Francisco, and I hope you will give us another chance to earn back your trust

Best,
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Mixed feelings.
Staff were lovely, room was clean and accessorised nicely, bed was big and comfy, ground floor bar was the place to be.
However ... room was noisy (don't attempt to sleep in), B grade business centre, restaurant disappointed with poor menu, and the room stay was generally over-priced.
May return, however am likely to look beyond.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Tastytucker
Dear Tastytucker,
I am so glad to hear that your room was enjoyable and Vitale team made your stay with us comfortable. On the other hand, I am disappointed to learn that some aspects of your stay and dining experience were not as you had expected. Please contact me directly to discuss how we could have made a better overall impression on you.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Although check in was very pleasant and housekeeping excellent, I would have to say that this hotel concentrates more on its bar business than anything else. That's their main focus from my perspective as a guest. Case in point is room service , if you can call it that, in evening. Takes FOREVER. So long I called to cancel it and was told they are super busy with bar as if that is okay when you are waiting close to an hour for two glasses of wine. Ended up feeling like asking anyone for anything at this hotel is putting them out. So almost 8 days here and interact less and less with the hotel staff. Housekeeping again is great but they ration shampoo and soap like I have never seen before. Right down to the pint I thought I was going to have to meg for some but the turn down service go ally came to the rescue. But the housekeeping is excellent for the most part. Location is our main reason for staying here. Great if you run or want to use the YMCA to work out few doors down from hotel. The hotel says it has a spa. But clearly hard to tell what that means seeing they don't market it well. Again, they want as little to do with sleepover guests as possible . They love their bar patrons! That's what this place is all about. Crazy loud crowds or business people. Just so you know what you are getting into.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear TJENYC,
I am very disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not as you had expected. Please know that your room service wait is not typical and I will be sure to address it with the team. As a part of our “Green Dreams” sustainability program, we replace bath amenities only when needed. If they have not been replaced, please let the front desk know and they will ensure you receive new bath products. Our spa is on the eighth floor and is open daily, be sure to visit for a Thai Herbal Infusion or The Bathing Ritual next time. Please be aware that all of our guests are extremely important to us—the restaurant can be quite busy at times, but that does not change our standard of guest service. I do hope you will keep that in mind on your next trip to San Francisco and give us another chance to impress you.