“Fantastic concierge service- great location- complimentary driver in the AM”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #50 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 days on business and found the service to be impeccable-especially the concierge- great restaurant recommendations and each concierge went above and beyond this diva's social needs- I didn't have the greatest of views and have to say- the bathroom was a little unremarkable- I'm used to walk in showers or at the very least- rounded shower curtains that don't molest you when you are taking a shower-(see pictures of bathroom). Liked this hotel and I'll be selecting it for #Dreamforce in November. Did not like the hotel restaurant -Americano- very understaffed during happy hour when the weather was nice but it the waitress was wonderful and very accommodating- it was just unfortunate that they didn't have more staff available when they were mobbed at the outside bar. The food was meh- however. Booze was a-ok!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank pickytraveler20
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear LHO2024,
Our Concierge Department is always striving to create a meaningful stay for our guests. In fact, they were quoted in Conde Nast Traveler as “the most intuitive and thoughtful concierges in the United States”. I am sorry to hear that your experience in our restaurant was not on par with the concierge department. We will work on improving before you return in November for Dreamforce—we look forward to welcoming you back.

Antoine Berberi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,741)

Reviewed April 20, 2014

My office is in the financial district and this lovely boutique hotel is within walking distance. Even better it is across the street from the Ferry building and very near AT&T Park. Don't miss the chance to take in the view from the hotel's rooftop deck. The rooms are large and well appointed but it is definitely worth the extra bucks to get a room with a water view. The hotel staff, especially the concierge team, was friendly and really helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a water, bridge view
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear CapCityTravelers,
Being able to walk to work is so nice, especially with the recent warm weather. Also, if you are not familiar with the area, walking is so much easier than having to rent a car or figure out public transportation. Since you enjoyed our rooftop terraces, be sure to visit Spa Vitale for a Bathing Ritual next time. The individual deep soaking tubs on our private spa terrace are a soothing urban oasis! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Great location right on the waterfront, with the market, great shops and restaurants all in walking distance. I had a bay/waterfront view, and I highly recommend requesting it. I had a lovely nook right by the window and was entranced by the sunset and lights on the bay bridge, a perfect San Francisco experience. The bed was very comfortable with an abundance of pillows. The room and bathroom was spacious, I had a huge shower, with remarkably refreshing products provided. There was a very well stocked minibar with lots of snack options, typically expensively priced though. Wifi was free and generally reliable. Service on the whole was good but it was a bit hard to track down the concierge. The biggest disappointment was the food at the terrace restaurant, it was pretty mediocre. But it was a great location right on the front with comfortable seating.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Chris C,
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room, the window seats are lovely for reading or simply enjoying the view. If the concierge is unavailable, our front desk team is always around to help with a few neighborhood suggestions. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy the restaurant cuisine. Our menu is continuously improved with seasonal ingredients, so I welcome you to give it another try on your next stay with us.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Despite a fantastic location, and stunning view on Embarcadero and the Bridge, as well as beautifully designed hotel, the hotel lacks of soul and "customer care", as in "we are happy to have you here, what can we do to make your stay unforgettable" ...considering the price tag.

Service, mostly in the F&B section, wasn't up to par, I invite you guys to step up and show how much you enjoy doing what you're doing for a living.

Room Tip: choose the waterfront, money well invested.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Laurent776

Dear Laurent776,
Please know that we do aim to create a unique boutique experience for our guests and I am disappointed to hear that your time with us did not reflect that. I do hope that you will give us another chance to impress you, on your next trip to San Francisco, please contact me directly and I would be happy to assist with you reservation.

My apologies,

Reviewed April 16, 2014

he best thing about this hotel is the location. It is right across the Ferry Bldg and our view was the Bay... beautiful! So ask for the Bay View when booking.
The rooms are small but well designed that it does not feel cramped. They are clean and modern. Then the bathroom amenities are "Fresh" --- love it!
Service staff are friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: Ask for the Bay view for a good view
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear MJB1104,
Thank you for you review, it is uplifting to know that your stay was altogether wonderful. The views of the bay and bridge are some of my favorite things about our location—especially with The Bay Lights at night. They are quite a show! We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to San Francisco.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

This was my second stay at the Vitale and I learned that the first visit wasn't a fluke. It's really a very nice place to stay. The hotel has a very peaceful feeling and is in a great location - across the street from the Ferry Terminal, close to BART, and walking distance to lots of other places you'll want to go. The hotel offers a yoga class each morning - a nice ammenity! The first time I had a room with the Bay Bridge view - quite spectacular. But, this time I overlooked Mission Street and a corner of the bay. The room still had lots of light and I had a view of an interesting sculpture of a barbecue chef on the roof across the street.

The lobby restaurant is good - much better than typical hotel fare. My only complaint - each night the turn down service only left one piece of chocolate, even though there were two of us in the room!

Room Tip: The rooms on the front of the hotel overlooking the Ferry Terminal and the Bay Bridge have spectacul...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank soozeeq

Dear soozeeq,
It is lovely to hear from a satisfied repeat guest, and we hope to see you more often! Our location is great for people visiting for vacation because there are so many unique shops and attractions within walking distance. For business, we are right in the financial district and near plenty of restaurants. I am sorry to hear about your turndown chocolate—please let our front desk know next time and they will be sure to take care of you. I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Vitale. The room was conveniently laid out, the bed comfortable and the desk efficient. It was clean and the furnishings were stylish. The hotel is centrally located right at the Embarcadero so it is really easy to get around. The staff were also very nice and accomodating. On our second to last day we asked if we could have a late check out and were immediately accomodated for a 2pm check out at no extra charge. I will say that the hotel was expensive but that is expected in the heart of San Francisco.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear cmpizz,
I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our décor—our presiding aesthetic is “Luxury, Naturally” to allow our guests can relax and enjoy the natural beauty that surrounds this area. The Embarcadero does make it simple for transportation, whether on foot, by bus or car, by ferry—we even have bicycle taxis! It is wonderful that you enjoyed you time at Hotel Vitale and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco.