“Choose the Right Room for a Five Star Experience”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #48 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Its not easy to pick a hotel in San Francisco. There are really no "must stay" hotels and each neighborhood has its pluses and minuses. My friends decided on the Hotel Vitale and I can't say it was even on my radar. I am very glad they did. But walking in my room...I was ready to "walk out". It started very well with a great doorman and valet (Great with a capital G) and continued on to the front desk staff. They even gave a choice of a higher floor with a city view or a lower floor and a Bay Bridge view. As I was able to see the rooms of my friends.....I made the wrong decision. (Photos attached) You had to put your face to the window and crane your neck to the left to see the bridge. The small window in the room was "sad" and the actual view was of the Boulevard Restaurant. The room itself was pleasant enough. I got a kick out of the nightstands but even the bathroom with the tub/shower combination was very outdated. (although the hotel...built in 2005 is maintained exceptionally well) So...why should you stay here. Rooms with Spa bathrooms (or walk in showers).....larger windows and small seating areas are quite wonderful. 100 percent worth the upgrade. Even looking away from the water, the urban views out windows that extend from the building are fun. Although...with the new lightshow....a REAL view of the Bay Bridge is a sight to see.
But the whole place slowly won me over. The location is a nice walk to Union Square. It was great not to be in that craziness (or that construction nightmare that it is now) Construction is everywhere. Even a few blocks away at the Hyatt....everything is torn up but the area around the Vitale is perfect. Street noise was non existent but maybe my little window helped there. And having the Ferry Building with its food stalls and restaurants just across the street....spectacular. We were over there at some point each day.
The Americano bar seems to be THE place to be after work. It was packed on Friday at 5:00 but our waitress was still able to take great care of us. Breakfast the one morning we tried it was terrific too.
The gym is quite small but serviceable but a good YMCA is free nearby with a pass.
One last shout out.....One of the best Housekeeping staffs I have ever seen. Super friendly in the hallways......they even got Ice for the half bottle of Champagne I had left and put the bottle in the bucket at turndown. Take that Four Seasons.
I will be back.....and maybe splurge for a Panoramic suite.

Room Tip: As you saw in my review....this is a place where you have to choose wisely. I didn't think the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear Renztem13,
Friends always seem to have the best recommendations, so I am glad they put us on your radar. Our front office team is fantastic and it is wonderful to know that they made a lasting first impression on you. Alternatively, I am sorry to hear that your view did not live up to your expectations—you should absolutely try one of our Deluxe Panoramic Suites next time—the 180 degree views of the Bay Bridge do not disappoint! If you enjoyed walking to Union Square, I would definitely recommend a stroll along the Embarcadero for wonderful views of the bay as well as restaurants and attractions. Housekeeping will be flattered to know that their thoughtfulness was appreciated—we look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Antoine Berberi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,795)

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I've officially switched from the major chains in SF to staying at the Vitale everytime I come to the city. While prices are slightly higher the proximity to the water, the ferry building, embacadero to go running in the morning and the kind staff you meet everywhere while staying at the hotel are very convincing. Joie de vivre really has a meaning here. I like that staff open the door when you enter or leave the hotel, that you get a fresh cooled towel when you arive, that the ladies of the room service are more than attentive and polite and that the entire place has an atmosphere of professional elegance. #distinguish
Stay and you'll find out for yourself. ;)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear ambassadorger,
I am so flattered that Hotel Vitale has become your accommodation of choice. The Embarcadero is fantastic for running and if you are ever interested in alternative routes, our Concierge would be happy to provide you with some suggestions of other jogging paths. Thank you for your review and I will be happy to pass along your kind words to the whole team—it is always nice to know you are appreciated.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed at this hotel based on a recommendation from a friend. It was a short stay but worth it. The hotel is in a great location right next to the Piers. We had great service while we were there. It was clean and fairly quiet. The room we stayed in was very modern with a comfy bed. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear barbscott03,
I am so glad to hear that we were personally suggested to you—friends really are the best source for recommendations. It is wonderful that you had an altogether pleasant stay and we look forward to welcoming you back when you do stay with us again.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

As a frequent business traveler to SF, I typically stay at the 4 Seasons or the Ritz. This past week I decided to try the Hotel Vitale. Room rate was $650 - comparable to my usual haunts but service was lacking and it is noisy with the bustling restaurant, outside music and street noise.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank endlesswinter

Dear endlesswinter,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit with us. On behalf of the entire team, allow me to apologize for your less than satisfactory stay at our hotel. I can assure you that we take your feedback very seriously and will do whatever it takes to address your concerns. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your stay in more details and hopefully I will be able to arrange a more quiet room for your next visit with us so you will no longer be inconvenienced by the noise emanating from our restaurant and bar. I look forward to speak with you and welcome you back to the Hotel Vitale. My direct line is 415-278-3710.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

My husband and I needed to stay overnight in SF with our 7-month-old baby. As others have noted, the hotel itself is very well located, and quite lovely, but the real star at this hotel was the service. I travel frequently for work, and this hotel had simply the most helpful and agreeable staff I've encountered in a long time. We were even gifted a bottle of wine which is most welcome for tired parents. My only caveats are that room service was quite expensive (even for room service) and so was the valet parking. However the Ferry Building is right nearby, so that solved the food question. There are a few less expensive places nearby to park your car, however.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear MarinaSF,
I am glad that you enjoyed your family “staycation” and thank you so much for recognizing our star team. I truly believe that they make the hotel both a wonderful place for our guests to visit as well as a great place to work. We hope to have you and your husband stay with us again next time you need a getaway. Or if you don’t have the time to stay overnight, just visit us at Spa Vitale for a side-by-side massage—it ranks up there with a nice bottle of wine for tired parents!

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed in the 6th floor suite with the breathtaking 180 degree panoramic view of the bridge and the city. Oh my! It was just stunning. The room was beautiful and the concierge made sure that we were greeted with a lovely welcoming platter of breads, fruits, cheeses, and wine! How thoughtful! He also went out of his way to provide maps and information. Kudos!

On the downside, the mattress was far softer than what we had expected and rather uncomfortable, but perhaps that's just a subjective thing. What surprised me was that the wi-fi was very spotty from our location. For upwards of $1,000 a night I did not expect this. To the property's credit, they did have an engineer reset the router, but it didn't help much. I'm not sure why. Still a small price to pay for a room with such an amazing view.

Overall it was still a first rate property, beautiful and clean with every amenity you could want. Our sincerest thanks to the Hotel Vitale for making our stay first rate.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear doxygirl123,
I am so pleased that your stay with us was first rate. The circular suites are a guest favorite—because anyone who has experienced the soaking tub with views of the bay would agree with you. I will be sure to mention you kind words to our concierge team—they certainly are the best at surprising and delighting our guests! Alternatively, I am sorry to hear that the mattress was not to your liking and the Wi-Fi was not up to speed—we did just recently upgraded our wireless system, so I will have the team look into it. Thank you for staying with us and we do hope to welcome you back next time you are visiting San Francisco.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Nothing to say about my stay. Very nice/very clean/ nice room/ service from front desk to the bar service was the best I have ever experienced. Everyone who works there goes out of their way to make your stay there special.
Location to die for....IMHO.
Reason for 4?
At $450(with tax included) per night I expect to be given the world. Maybe that's an OK rate in SF but seemed really expensive to me. I would say this is a 4 star hotel but for the money I want 5.
If the price does not knock your sox off then stay here. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: They add dollars for what they call a water view.I did not pay for an upgrade. I stayed in an 18...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear john b,
I am happy to hear that your stay with us set a new record, and it made my day to know that it was the Vitale team that really made the difference. I must say I agree with your opinion—our location has fantastic views and is very convenient for everything from public transportation to restaurants and shopping. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again next time you are in the Bay Area.