“The Only Place to stay in San Francisco.”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #40 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 23, 2013

If you have made it to this review. Stop searching now and just book a room. There is no where else you should stay in SF. I felt welcome from the second I walked in. Excellent service at every interaction. Well appointed room. Very Comfortable bed and pillows. Top notch restaurant. There is not a better location in downtown. Helpful, smart staff. Sometimes upscale hotels are unnecessarily "stuffy".. This is not the case at Hotel Vitale. You feel comfortable, almost like home. You've heard the expression, "I left my heart in San Francisco".. Well I left half of mine in the city and half in Hotel Vitale. The only negative is that you will inevitably have to turn your key back in. An absolute pleasure. Eat at the restaurant at least once. Go to the Farmers Market across the street on Saturday morning. Ride the F-line. Most importantly.. Stay at Vitale.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank ScienceSales
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

ScienceSales:
Thank you for your glowing review, this just made my entire day! It is wonderful to hear that your stay with us was altogether excellent. If Hotel Vitale and Americano were able to capture half of your heart this visit, try Spa Vitale on your next visit to round out your experience. The Bathing Ritual paired with a Warm Bamboo Renewal is sure to capture your whole heart! Thanks again for your thoughtful words and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Francisco.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I don't have anything bad to say about this hotel. I would highly recommend Hotel Vitale to others looking to stay in San Francisco. The hotel is within walking distance to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, plus transportation to Market Street. I was allocated a room with a disabled ensuite which was excellent because the batheroom was extra spacious. The staff were friendly and accommodating. It was a great stay to end my vacation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

AnaRCV:
Thank you for your kind review—our location is very convenient for getting around the city and it is wonderful that you enjoyed the relaxing stroll along the Embarcadero to Fisherman’s Wharf. That stretch of the waterfront is an especially nice walk if you are able to catch a glimpse of the America’s Cup races! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel Vitale and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next vacation to the Bay Area.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed here for a two-day trip and it exceeded my expectations. I was able to get a suit pressed for the same day after an early arrival and the concierge was very helpful with restaurant recommendations. Valet parking was simple and efficient, hotel bar had an attentive bartender. Room was clean and amenities were high quality - boutique toiletries and a particularly comfortable bathrobe made from a sort of soft dri-fit material. Location near the Ferry Building was extremely convenient and the reason I chose to stay there in the first place. All in all, a very upscale and professional operation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

suffolkblueline:
I am gratified to hear that we were able to surpass your expectations. Our team works diligently to ensure that every guest experience is relaxing and revitalizing, so I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the team. Our proximity to the Ferry Building is a favorite among foodies—we actually source the majority of Americano’s fresh, organic produce from local Ferry Building vendors. We hope to see you again next time business brings you to San Francisco.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I just returned from two nights at the Vitale. Looking at the recent reviews, I have to say that the negativity surprises me. I continue to think the hotel is superb. The concierge arranged dinner for me, and steered me toward an athletic club where I could swim. The coffee in the lobby was great, and the breakfast at Americano is consistently good. I also think the rooms are great. I stayed in one of the smaller ones, but it was comfortable, clean and pleasant in the best sense of that word. There's also this -- the hotel is electric at night and it's vibrancy makes walks through the lobby or a drink in the bar feel more interesting than anywhere else I stay on business. It's a very good place -- proximate to everywhere. The staff is exceptional. Do not be dissuaded by folks saying there's been some change for the worse here. It isn't so.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

JMDODNSS:
Thank you for another uplifting review, we always appreciate encouraging feedback. I am glad that you continue to think Vitale is “great” and that our concierge was able to assist in making your stay enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again—perhaps your next stay with us will be for vacation?

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Originally from SF, I stayed here the first month the hotel opened for Bay 2 Breakers. Then twice again before this most recent trip. Though I love the location, this is probably be my last stay at Vitale. I probably should have decided not to stay when I booked and told them I was a repeat guest and they couldn't find me anywhere in their system. Most hotels at least acknowledge a return stay.

Pros: Staff across the board are very kind and really exceptional.

Cons: Restaurant hostess and staff are NOT so good. We ate there several times; the food is good, but the service is problematic. Communication is poor between restaurant staff and hotel and restaurant staff. One day I wanted a cup of coffee at 2:30 PM. The coffee in the lobby was gone and the bar wasn't open. I asked the front desk if there was a way to get a cup and they said yes, they would send one up. (They have coffee in the back as they generously gave me a cup another time). Ten minutes later, room service arrived with a cup of coffee for $16. I said that I wasn't willing to pay $16 for a cup of coffee, and he took it away! Wow, really bad, huh?

The rooms are a bit worn; I saw three before selecting one. None have enough storage; small closets and only ONE drawer.

The room I had booked had a view of the AC equipment of the neighboring building. I chose to pay an upgrade of $30/night to look at a building across the street. Much better, but still very small rooms and few amenities.

Though the hotel seems to need some basic operational and upgrade help, I want to stress that most of the staff was genuinely excellent!

Room Tip: Be sure you get an outside room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank swankyhotels

swankyhotels:
I am sorry to hear that your last stay with us did not live up to your previous visits. We pride ourselves on our standards of service and it is disappointing to hear that was not your experience this time. Please contact me directly to further discuss the issues you encountered. That being said, I hope that you will give us another chance to earn back your trust, and I would be more than happy to help with your reservation next time you are visiting San Francisco.

My apologies,

Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel is quiet, and pretty new. No complain about it.
There is not much service though. The people working in the frontline probably need to be trained in customer service.
Lack of smile - No service - No greeting.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

CWittichai:
I am disappointed to learn that your time with us did not live up to your expectations. I must assure you that we have very high standard of service and I apologize if that was not your experience. I would appreciate hearing more about your stay so that we can improve—please contact me directly to discuss.

My Apologies,

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We live in San Francisco and I wanted to surprise my husband with a 2 night stay at a hotel in our city. I found Hotel Vitale through a friend who is a San Francisco native. She stays at this hotel anytime she has a special occasion. I checked it out online. I wanted to make everything perfect and had only 48 hours ahead of time to do it. I called the hotel and the staff was very helpful. They were also extremely helpful in helping me pick out which room would make us happiest. After two recommendations from two different people at the front desk, they said I would like the partial city view/water view room the best out of my other choices. The room I really want had been already booked up for months due to America's Cup happening the same week. I even went down to the hotel to take a look at my options, and both rooms I saw were beautiful, but I went with the recommended room. Dan was at the front desk. He showed me the rooms and was very helpful in my indecisiveness. I mentioned that I was surprising my husband for his birthday. And the day of check-in, Dan and Hotel Vitale surprised me with a Giants shirt, Giants beanie, card and bottle of sparkling wine on ice. AHHHHHMAZING!!!
Thank you again to Hotel Vitale's customer service and beautiful hotel for the best stay I have ever had in my city.

Room Tip: Call ahead of time and ask the front desk their recommendations on their choice of rooms they would...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Ashley J:
I am so pleased that Hotel Vitale was chosen to be a part of your husband’s birthday surprise. We strive to make every guest experience unforgettable and it is wonderful to hear that we succeeded with you and your husband. We look forward to welcoming you both back for your birthday!