“Still great”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #51 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I just returned from two nights at the Vitale. Looking at the recent reviews, I have to say that the negativity surprises me. I continue to think the hotel is superb. The concierge arranged dinner for me, and steered me toward an athletic club where I could swim. The coffee in the lobby was great, and the breakfast at Americano is consistently good. I also think the rooms are great. I stayed in one of the smaller ones, but it was comfortable, clean and pleasant in the best sense of that word. There's also this -- the hotel is electric at night and it's vibrancy makes walks through the lobby or a drink in the bar feel more interesting than anywhere else I stay on business. It's a very good place -- proximate to everywhere. The staff is exceptional. Do not be dissuaded by folks saying there's been some change for the worse here. It isn't so.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

JMDODNSS:
Thank you for another uplifting review, we always appreciate encouraging feedback. I am glad that you continue to think Vitale is “great” and that our concierge was able to assist in making your stay enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again—perhaps your next stay with us will be for vacation?

Alex Novo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,774)

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Originally from SF, I stayed here the first month the hotel opened for Bay 2 Breakers. Then twice again before this most recent trip. Though I love the location, this is probably be my last stay at Vitale. I probably should have decided not to stay when I booked and told them I was a repeat guest and they couldn't find me anywhere in their system. Most hotels at least acknowledge a return stay.

Pros: Staff across the board are very kind and really exceptional.

Cons: Restaurant hostess and staff are NOT so good. We ate there several times; the food is good, but the service is problematic. Communication is poor between restaurant staff and hotel and restaurant staff. One day I wanted a cup of coffee at 2:30 PM. The coffee in the lobby was gone and the bar wasn't open. I asked the front desk if there was a way to get a cup and they said yes, they would send one up. (They have coffee in the back as they generously gave me a cup another time). Ten minutes later, room service arrived with a cup of coffee for $16. I said that I wasn't willing to pay $16 for a cup of coffee, and he took it away! Wow, really bad, huh?

The rooms are a bit worn; I saw three before selecting one. None have enough storage; small closets and only ONE drawer.

The room I had booked had a view of the AC equipment of the neighboring building. I chose to pay an upgrade of $30/night to look at a building across the street. Much better, but still very small rooms and few amenities.

Though the hotel seems to need some basic operational and upgrade help, I want to stress that most of the staff was genuinely excellent!

Room Tip: Be sure you get an outside room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank swankyhotels

swankyhotels:
I am sorry to hear that your last stay with us did not live up to your previous visits. We pride ourselves on our standards of service and it is disappointing to hear that was not your experience this time. Please contact me directly to further discuss the issues you encountered. That being said, I hope that you will give us another chance to earn back your trust, and I would be more than happy to help with your reservation next time you are visiting San Francisco.

My apologies,

Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel is quiet, and pretty new. No complain about it.
There is not much service though. The people working in the frontline probably need to be trained in customer service.
Lack of smile - No service - No greeting.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

CWittichai:
I am disappointed to learn that your time with us did not live up to your expectations. I must assure you that we have very high standard of service and I apologize if that was not your experience. I would appreciate hearing more about your stay so that we can improve—please contact me directly to discuss.

My Apologies,

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We live in San Francisco and I wanted to surprise my husband with a 2 night stay at a hotel in our city. I found Hotel Vitale through a friend who is a San Francisco native. She stays at this hotel anytime she has a special occasion. I checked it out online. I wanted to make everything perfect and had only 48 hours ahead of time to do it. I called the hotel and the staff was very helpful. They were also extremely helpful in helping me pick out which room would make us happiest. After two recommendations from two different people at the front desk, they said I would like the partial city view/water view room the best out of my other choices. The room I really want had been already booked up for months due to America's Cup happening the same week. I even went down to the hotel to take a look at my options, and both rooms I saw were beautiful, but I went with the recommended room. Dan was at the front desk. He showed me the rooms and was very helpful in my indecisiveness. I mentioned that I was surprising my husband for his birthday. And the day of check-in, Dan and Hotel Vitale surprised me with a Giants shirt, Giants beanie, card and bottle of sparkling wine on ice. AHHHHHMAZING!!!
Thank you again to Hotel Vitale's customer service and beautiful hotel for the best stay I have ever had in my city.

Room Tip: Call ahead of time and ask the front desk their recommendations on their choice of rooms they would...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Ashley J:
I am so pleased that Hotel Vitale was chosen to be a part of your husband’s birthday surprise. We strive to make every guest experience unforgettable and it is wonderful to hear that we succeeded with you and your husband. We look forward to welcoming you both back for your birthday!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Have stayed on two occasions at the Vitale. Great location, very close to the Embarcadero BART station and the financial districts.

The rooms are very nicely done and are pretty large in size. very comfortable and large sized beds with plenty of space to move around. Both the times I was lucky to get a room which offered the most amazing views of the Bay bridge.

Service was excellent on both the occasions with friendly staff at the reception. The concierge was very helpful and gave us great insights on getting around the city using public transport.
Would highly recommend a visit to the organic fruit and vegetable market that is set up every Saturday morning across the street from the hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room overlooking the ocean. Imagine waking up to the fabulous views of the pacific ocean and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Tzell:
Thank you for staying with us again, we always appreciate hearing from return guests. I am glad that you found your room comfortable and relaxing. The water view rooms are especially lovely now that the Bay Lights installation is up—it’s like having a light show every night! I will make sure our concierge and front desk teams receive your compliments. The Ferry Plaza Farmer’s Market is a great way to spend an afternoon for locals and visitors alike and our chefs get much of our fresh, organic produce for Americano at the Farmer’s Market. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is the premier boutique hotel on the Embarcadero. This hotel is beautifully designed with an upscale modern interior. The rooms are nice sized and extremely comfortable. My boyfriend and I had a marvelous couple of nights there and we ran into "The Fonz" in the lobby...Ehhh.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

DPazienti:
Thank you for your kind review, I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our décor as well as your stay here at Vitale. I hope you had a safe journey back to LA and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the Bay Area.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Vitale for a night before a long visit to San Francisco. I immediately appreciated the hotel's convenient location, (near the financial district, so close to work) and on the Embarcadero. The staff was kind and helpful, pointing out necessary directions and helping deliver my bags to my room. The room itself, though small, was neatly decorated, with nice modern touches. However, the modern touches were a little overboard in the bathroom. The bathroom was similar to those I have seen in European hotels - the shower is not distinctly separated from the rest of the bathroom (other than with a curtain). The entire bathroom shares one floor, so water from the shower goes all over the floor (around the sink, etc). In addition to making my feet wet every time I went in, I also slipped multiple times while trying to get to the sink to brush my teeth or get ready. This was my biggest complaint and I would comfortably give the hotel 5 stars otherwise.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Sashenka1021:
Thank your for your kind words, we are all grateful for such a beautiful and convenient location on the waterfront. I am glad that you enjoyed the room, but sorry to learn that the shower design was not to your liking—next time you stay with us, be sure to request a room with a bathtub. We hope business brings you back to San Francisco again soon.