WINNER WONDERLAND

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #21 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
los angeles
“Service and location are outstanding.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Checked in early. Room not quite ready, but quickly was ready. Reception brought me my key 5 min later. I mentioned that I liked the fruit/vegetable water in lobby because it made me think I was on vacation. 20 min later, she had a pitcher of the water delivered to my room. So simple. So awesome. Thank you hotel Vitale for hiring people who care. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
tvl20:
Thank you for your thoughtful review. I will gladly mention to the front desk team what an impression they made on you with the flavored water. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Vitale. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco.

Melony Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

You just cannot beat the location in San Francisco. The rooms are bright and cheerful, the service attentive and efficient throughout (reception, valet, restaurant, etc.), and the smallish 24 hour gym equipped with state of the art cardio equipment. The price is reasonable for San Francisco.
Areas for improvement: I stayed on the 2nd floor and the noise from the street was a distraction.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
mojo2014samba:
We are so fortunate to be located in such a beautiful area of the city and I am delighted to be able to share that with our guests. Thank you for your review and I will happily pass along your kind words regarding your experience to the rest of the team.

West Coast, Ooh, Ess, Ahh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Vitale is a nice hotel. I wanted to like it more than I did. Prior to arrival the concierge was very helpful making dining arrangements and even sprang for an appetizer at one of the restaurants we
visited. The vibe is modern and urban. The room was clean and well furnished, though I found the bed a bit soft (nit) . The missus and I both got massage at the spa and each of our experiences was quite good, hats off to the therapists on staff. We found the bayfront room noisy both from traffic on Embarcadero as well as the outdoor bar below. If selecting a room for a view be sure to ask for rooms 4th floor or higher not so great below. The staff was quite good and professional though we found that less so in the Americano restaurant , the food was ok. If you want an Embarcadero or financial district address this is a good spot. I thought it was nice , not great , but solid.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Nova R:
Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Vitale, I am happy to hear that the concierge was able to assist you with your dining arrangements. One of our guiding philosophies is “Luxury, Naturally” and I am glad that your room and overall experience was in line with it. I do hope that you will give Americano another try on your next visit, we would love another chance to impress you.

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed in Hotel Vitale on April 12, 2013, for one night. We got a room on the third floor with partial view of the Bay Bridge. The room was very nice and impeccably clean, the cleanest I have seen in SF. Due to some room perfume it had a very nice scent. The minibar war very well equipped and a complimentary bottle of water was delivered to the room in the evening as well as a paper in the morning. The King bed was comfortable and clean.

It would have been perfect, but...when I went to the toilet, my look wandered above and I discovered an incredibly dirty air exit unit. It was unbelievably gross, caked with the dust and lint of years and years....I am sure it has never been cleaned. OK, this is the air exit, so nothing to really worry about, just gross to look at. However the grill of the air conditioner where the air comes in was not very clean either. And that is not a good sign. I therefore called the front desk and complained. We were immediately shown a different and much nicer room, but the vent duct in the bathroom looked exactly the same. The hotel manager then came up and seemed to be genuinely embarassed when I showed him the dirty air exit. As for the air conditioner, he sent up a technician who explained to me that filters were regularly exchanged and even opened the unit to show me the clean filter.

Honestly, I was ready to give the Vitale a very bad review after having seen the dirty airduct. However they were really professional with everything in response to my complaint. They even offered to send something up to the room and I am sure they would also have cleaned the dirty air unit. I did not want them to as then the dust and dirt would really have been in the room’s air (as we are travelling with a 2-year old I am quite concerened about such things).

We went from hotel Vitale to the Grand Hyatt as we had that reservation made in advance. After having stayed in both hotels, I would always prefer the Vitale as it is generally much cleaner and the service is better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Madeleine C
Madeleine C:
I am so glad that you enjoyed your room and overall experience here at Hotel Vitale. Thank you for your feedback concerning the air ducts. We will certainly see to it that the issue is addressed. Please contact me directly if you have any further questions or concerns regarding the matter.

Espoo, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

First we booked a room with waterfront-view, but noticed it too loud and restless (2nd floor). We got excellent service and had opportunity to change the room, which was good. The room was well equipped and comfortable. Newspaper every morning on doorhandle was nice bonus. We had only breakfasts in Americano, but found service good as well as breakfast itself. Nearby there was a amazing sushi-restaurant (Ozumo), which is certainly worth visiting! Hotel Vitale is next to Ferry Building where's also Farmers' Market on Saturdays. It's very easy access to downtown by bus or tram, as well as by car to SF international airport.

Uma61091:
Thank you for your kind review and I am glad that we were able to find a room more to you liking. Breakfast is my favorite meal at Americano—the house made granola is not to be missed! Incidentally, the Ferry Building is a prime source for our fresh restaurant ingredients. It is wonderful that you enjoyed your time here and we look forward to having you dine and stay with us again soon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at this lovely hotel at the embarcadero with my wife and was completely amazed at the quality of service and the attention to detail every one took during our stay.

The room was amazing - great modern look with a warm feel and gorgeous views of the bay!

We ate at the Americano restaurant downstairs and we were blown away by the service and the quality of the food. The restaurant itself has very pleasant ambience. Its not quiet but it is not as loud as most restaurants in San Francisco

Room Tip: Make sure to book a massage and soak in the tubs before hand
Joe F:
How wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are pleased you were able to have the full Hotel Vitale experience by visiting Americano and Spa Vitale as well. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco.

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Dear Hotel Vitale,

I was so underwhelmed by both the property and the service. I wanted to love you but you just did not deliver. I would like to thank you for that fabulous view because without it I would really regret my decision to stay with you. The pizza our first night at Americano was somewhere between burnt and soggy and unfortunately this proved to be a theme with the food there. In that city that showing of food is embarrassing. It’s a good thing you are across the street from the Ferry building. Word to the wise- go across the street to the Ferry Building Marketplace to have your meals and don’t waste your time at the hotel. While there stock up on little treats, fresh fruit, veggies, hummus and wine to take back to your room.

Please really take note of this - I am happy to pay $50 per night (plus all the other extra taxes, donations etc. that you manage to tack on) in order to park my car at your property since I do understand space is limited HOWEVER when I call down to the valet/bellman 20 minutes ahead of time (as instructed by your staff) to request my vehicle please ANSWER the phone so that I don’t have to try calling back 3 times before I give up and call the front desk. Annoying, this didn’t happen once it was 2 mornings in a row, the same exact thing. It would be a good idea to ask housekeeping to empty the trash on a daily basis. I am not asking for much and you don’t even need to change the bag just empty them so that my room feels refreshed when I return in the evening and I remember what my $999 per night plus every random extra charge you could come up with is for. Also the wooden stool in the shower is just gross. Do you know how much moisture and bacteria that cracked wood holds on to? You might as well just set a petri dish in there. Honestly, nobody in their right mind is going to sit on that thing, take it out. These are very simple (and cost free I might add) things that can be done to enhance your guests’ experience.
If I were visiting with my girlfriends and just looking for a trendy super convenient place to crash you might be it. Perhaps after a few cocktails it would be easier to overlook the extreme lack of attention to detail, cleanliness and comfort that I expect when spending that type of money. You are like many Vegas hotels - from far away and after a few drinks it’s awesome but in the light of day not so much.

One of your best assets is Rhonda, the massage therapist. To those of you reading this I highly recommend you see her, it will be the highlight of the otherwise mediocre customer service you will receive and most importantly she gives a fabulous deep tissue. The complimentary coffee is decent though and is set up bright and early (before 6 a.m.) which is greatly appreciated. Here is a tip to kick it up a notch - it wouldn’t hurt to have someone pass by every now and again to clear away the trash, opened sugar packets, clean up the spills and refill the milk/creamers.

Your location is magnificent and your website is outstanding so I understand how you have made it this far.

1 Thank Cici14
Cici14:

My deepest apologies on your experience. We have a very high standard of service, so I am disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not in line with that standard. Americano is known for our pizzas, so I will definitely discuss your experience with the team. Regarding our shower stools—they do include a cloth that is intended for guests to drape over the stool if they would like. Nevertheless, I am glad that you enjoyed our complimentary morning coffee as well as your spa experience; I will be sure to praise Rhonda for her attentiveness and skills. Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss your concerns regarding any aspect of your stay with us.