“Enjoyed Stay, good location”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #51 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I always look forward for my visit to SFO city, and love boutique hotels instead of normal chain hotels except I don't get points:).

I got this hotel through Hotwire, and it was a good deals($160+taxes) considering city & location. First of all, the best part of this hotel is location, just opp water front and 15-20 mins walk to Union Square and 7 mins walk to Market place. You can also walk down to local eateries.

The room size is decent with nice beds and desk. There are wonderful views of bay.

The checkin was smooth and rooms are nice & fresh. The Americano restaurant & bar is really nice and it was open till midnight.

I would recommend this hotel and do check on hotwire if you can get a good deal.

Room Tip: - Go for higher floors for great views - Check out for hotwire for good deals
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Sid2310:
We are proud of being a boutique hotel—our size gives us the opportunity to provide guests with personalized attention. If you are interested in hotel points, Joie de Vivre’s loyalty program is the Joy of Life club, which allows you to redeem your points for exclusive amenities, stays, and experiences. Please refer our website for more information on joining. I am glad to hear that your stay went smoothly and you enjoyed our surroundings as well as our hotel.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here back in September 2012 when I traveled to SF for an job interview. Managed to get an okay rate and secured a deluxe room. Room wise it was clean, modern, a decent size and well appointed. I did not see too much wear and tear and have stayed in far worst in the US. I particularly liked the local organic toiletries provided.

The location was great, very central but as I was on a lower floor facing a busy street so did get a bit of noise early mornings from municipal trucks doing their business. Not too much of an issue for me.

Service was tepid but it was a couple of balls ups on which nights were getting charged to whom that caused me the most annoyance(even though I gave clear express instructions), so just the lack of attention to detail and service was my main gripe for the stay.

Otherwise this is a good modern choice suitable for both business and holidays.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dezzydez:
Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Vitale, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and the location as well. I apologize that there was confusion with your room charges and will follow up with the staff to ensure that this sort of issue will not come up in the future. I hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip to San Francisco, we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Enjoyed a one night stay here. We arrived early, but were not made to feel difficult while they located a vacant room. Front desk the most professional and friendly I have met in some time. Room was a good size. Tasteful and light. If you can afford it have a city or bay view - worth it! Rooftop views are breathtaking and free, so be sure to go up there. The spa looked good, but not enough time to try on this trip. Comfortable large bed. Fairly standard bathroom. Only downside - no coffee machine in the room and noise from the corridor was quite loud when the cleaners got started in the morning. Really good location on the Embarcadero to walk or take many of the excellent transport links. I would stay again since I hate large hotels, but this made me want to go back - a good sign!

• Stayed: February 2013

NeedaholidayUk:
Thank you for taking the time to recognize our front desk team, I will gladly pass along your compliments. You should try Spa Vitale on your next visit, especially if you enjoyed the rooftop patios. The Bathing Ritual in an infinity soaking tub on the rooftop bamboo garden is not to be missed! We offer morning coffee and tea in the lobby daily, as well as a coffee maker for your room on request. We look forward to welcoming you back to San Francisco on your next visit.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've been coming here for happy hour for years but had to stay overnight for a conference downtown the next morning. The room was tiny, with a view of the tent from the outdoor bar area (which the hotel called a partial water view), and the price was outrageous. To add to the misery, the hotel charged me for the full water view room and after two phone calls, has still not reimbursed me properly!

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Austen824
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Austen824:
I am sorry to hear that your room was not what you had expected. At Hotel Vitale we strive to create a relaxing environment of luxury, naturally and I am disappointed that your experience was not as such. Please contact me directly and I would be more than happy to assist in sorting out your room charge situation.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

As the other reviewers have said, you can't beat the location of Hotel Vitale. I was in San Fran for a conference at the end of October and choose to stay here instead of the Hilton. It was really refreshing to come back to Hotel Vitale and have the amazing views out of my window.

Other than the view, there's not that many great things to say about this place. My room was alright but the couch and chair were very worn in. Also, the office chair at the desk was gross, it looked like it had huge sweat stains down the back of it. The shower floor also had big stains all over it. I was over the bar patio, a few floors up and at a couple of points it got really loud. Luckily, it started raining which drove the crowd back inside.

The housekeeping and valet staff were all very nice and accommodating. The coffee downstairs in the lobby in the AM was really good too. The folks at the front desk and at the bar/restaurant were pretty snotty. Just because you are wearing a hoodie, doesn't mean you should be treated any differently.

That being said, the location is fantastic. Because of this I would stay here again but would have to get a very good rate on a room.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

DanegalB:
It is so nice that you were able to enjoy our views, we are so very fortunate to be in such a beautiful and convenient location. Coming up in March, our bridge views will feature a fine art light installation—The Bay Lights—by international artist Leo Villareal. I am, however, saddened to hear that your room was not up to par. We do have an ongoing preventative maintenance program, so I thank you for your constructive feedback on the condition of our rooms. I would appreciate being able to speak with you further so that I can get more information regarding this—please contact me directly. Also, I will pass along your kind words to our housekeeping and valet teams, and we would love the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to San Francisco.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at Vitale several times spread over several years. It has been one of our favorite hotels. But we doubt we will return. First, the staff throughout is great, so it is not due to their efforts that we are disappointed. Rather it is the actual physical deterioration and problems with the rooms, unless #357 is an anomaly.

The bathroom had significant mold coming from grouted areas between the floor and wall tile. The stone countertop needs proper deep cleaning. The toilet seat was not aligned with the toilet itself. Surprisingly, the sink had severe cracks throughout and should be replaced. The overall room needed deep cleaning and all of the cabinetry needs touchup and drawer/door realignment. Oddly, the light block blinds do not fully cover the windows to the ceils so significant nightime light comes through from outside. The feel was not of a 1st class hotel room. Going to breakfast in the morning we noticed the filthy and wornbench seating. This beautiful hotel is simply not getting proper physical upkeep, and for the price it is inexcusable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank TravlorSacramento

TravlorSacramento:
We always appreciate feedback—especially from such loyal guests—so thank you for your comments regarding our maintenance issues that need attention and please know that we are addressing them. I have responded to you personally and look forward to regaining your trust in Hotel Vitale. Please contact me directly so that I may assist with making your reservations.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We decided to spend new years' eve in The City, and booked a king room with a city view a month out. Arriving at the hotel desk at 6pm, we're told we now have a 'studio' room, an upgrade they claim. The oddly-configured room, with a queen bed, was on the 2nd floor hanging over the busy intersection, with floor-to-ceiling windows that made us feel very exposed. We asked to be moved to a king room, as we'd booked, and were downgraded to a closet with a king-sized bed. It was a let down. The location is wonderful, and the service otherwise excellent, but at these prices, don't think we'll be returning if they can't guarantee a booking made a month ahead. I have to say, the house-made yogurt was delish.

Room Tip: Eschew the studio.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Susan B:
I am sorry to hear that your New Year’s Eve stay with us did not meet your expectations. If you would like to stay with us again for your next occasion, please reach out to me directly and I will ensure that you receive the room type that you are looking for. Also, if you enjoyed your breakfast at Americano, be sure to try our fresh pasta menu featuring four unique “Pasta del Giorno” made in house daily.