“Best Breakfast in Fisherman's Wharf Area”

Joanie's Happy Days Diner
Ranked #111 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The first morning we were in SF, our valet recommened Joanie's. The portions are large so if breakfast is not your most important meal, you may want to share. I think the both of us had something different every morning. We ate a large breakfast so we could skip lunch and not have to stop our tour of the city.
They are open from 6:30 a.m to 1:30 p.m I think. We were able to stop in before our flight home - both for breakfast and to have a last visit. The family that owns Joanie's are very personable and we felt like we had known them forever.
We ate outside as the weather allowed and were able to visit with fellow travellers from the USA, Austrailia and Norway. Some of them even shared the names of their favorite eating places with us.

Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Read some previous reviews and decided to try here as it very close to our hotel. The service is quick and so friendly. We were in San Francisco for 2 weeks and returned to Joanie's each morning. All breakfasts have been excellent & their hash browns delicious, so light and crispy-I've never liked hash browns before and always left them but I enjoy every bite of them at Joanie's. If I'm back in San Francisco I'll certainly return & would recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank TJayJay
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Ate here twice, convenient to the warf & good food. Large portions & friendly staff. Outdoor dining available. We enjoyed it here and it is always busy but not too crowded.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My hubby and I are a couple of foodies from Portland. We're not snobs, but we want good service and food that we can't/won't make at home. In most respects, Joanie's is a great little place. The service was spectacular - the wait staff are attentive, kind, prompt - everything you'd hope for. The location is great if you're staying in the wharf, and the outdoor seating is a nice place to people-watch. The food really just depends on what you're looking for. The folks on either side of us clearly wanted an American-style big breakfast experience, and they were very, very happy. I am not a big fan of American style breakfasts in general, so I was at a disadvantage from the get-go. If you want a homestyle, bacon/eggs/pancakes type of fare, this is your place, and I believe the reviews that nobody does it better for miles around. If you're looking for something a little more unique, healthy, artisan, etc, then you might be disappointed (but if you're looking for that, you should probably avoid the wharf altogether since you'll be disappointed at everything). In general I can't fault them - they do a particular type of food, and they do it very well. It just wasn't my thing, and we should've picked a spot more suited for our mood that morning.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Concierge at the Courtyard Fisherman's Warf pointed us to Joanie's. Timed it perfectly as we got a table just before a rush of people. Egg white omelet was fresh and yummy and my husband's huevos rancheros were also superb! They have the kind of service you expect at a small town diner but rarely get in a touristy area of a city. Yum!