“Great fish - Great Chefs - Very Japanese”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Okoze Sushi

Okoze Sushi
Ranked #1,109 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Seafood
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Left Coast
“Great fish - Great Chefs - Very Japanese”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

Just off the Hyde Cable Car line this is a great little sushi restaurant. I had made a reservation at Sushi Groove only to find out when I arrived Sushi Groove was closed (yeah... I had a reservation with email confirmation, and they were still closed.) A quick review of the iPhone and I was on to Okoze Sushi just a block away. Boy was I glad too. The fish was very fish and the highest quality, on par with what I have found in Japan. The chefs were nice and knowledgeable, answering my questions and the questions of my children. They mixed traditional Japanese preparations with modern style rolls. I will go back. If you are looking for dinner, mix it up with a cable car ride to Okoze, sushi, then a walk down Lombard.

• Visited March 2012

Providence, Rhode Island
“Had a great meal here and will go back.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

My brother and I went to Okoze (on Union at the intersection of Hyde and Union behind Swensen's) after seeing Beach Blanket Babylon. We walked right in and did not need a reservation on a Friday night. But it wasn't empty, either.
We started with the Sashimi Combination and an order of Tempura Scallops. I liked some things more than others, but it was just personal preference. The octopus was one of my favorites and the Tempura Scallops were very tasty! After that, we ordered the Mirugai (Geoduck) because we had never tried it and the Tek-Avo roll and the Spider roll. I wasn't crazy about the Geoduck, but it was my first time trying it.
The service was great, the atmosphere was nice and I really enjoyed the food. I would go back in a second!

• Visited December 2011
San Francisco, California
“Slightly alternative sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

I ate here with 2 friends. The place was fairly full, but fortunately we didn't have to wait for a table. The food was good, too, but definitely not the standard selection of california, dragon and rainbow rolls. Most rolls seems to have components like gobo and shizo, and I still have no idea what those are. The chef also seems inordinately fond of eel, so that showed up a lot, too. The tables are well-spaced, unlike the jammed-in and much-overrated Sushi Groove around the corner/ The decor was also very pleasing.

• Visited November 2011
Jacksonville, FL
“Good enough sushi, but I've had better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

I visited Okoze with a party of 5, and so was able to sample quite a variety of their offerings. I would describe the various samples I had to be good, but nothing special. None were outstanding and all were pretty generic. For their price point in truth I had expected better, more creative fare. Moreover, presentation certainly lacked the flair one oftentimes sees from sushi chefs. In part I was a bit put off by the edamame we received at the start of the meal, which had been handled in some kind of manner to give it both the appearance and texture of warmed over canned peas. When a meal starts that poorly you tend to pick fault with everything that follows. If the pricing had been more in line with the menu I might have given the place 4 stars, but can't recommend it as it currently is being operated.

• Visited April 2011
San Francisco
“Best Sushi Value in the City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

This is my go-to restaurant for visitors to San Francisco. The sushi is always fresh and there are lots of interesting rolls and specials. Prices are very reasonble given the high quality.

Definitely start with the Spicy Ahi Salad.

It gets crowded so reservations are a must.

2 Thank shanghaimarc