“Terrific food, zero atmosphere but who cares!”

Marnee Thai - Ninth
Ranked #882 of 5,775 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Sunset
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Wow, this was special. Make sure you make a reservation, line is out the door in this small, neighborhood place. Imperial rolls, banana curry (red with duck) and pad Thai were excellent. Service was good once we got started and the price was right. Strongly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Marnee Thai - Ninth

Reviewed September 22, 2013

So many restaurants in the world.... so much competition.... How can one hold its head higher than the rest?

At Marnee Thai, you feel in another country, the Siamese/ Thai cuisine is so delicious that you forget you are in San Francisco... As soon as you enter the restaurant, you notice the nice fragrances and the small (but clean) space. You will then be gratefully seated and welcomed.

The menu is on the larger side, lot's to choose from. The portions are generous as well...

We were 4 adults and 2 young children, and I can definitely say that this place is family friendly. I would summarize my experience by saying that I felt that we got served Michelin Star food, in a modest environment.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Delicious food, super fast service and surprising specials. We tried two specials, coconut cakes and banana curry and our favorite lemon grass soup and were impressed.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I took our friends visiting from the UK to Marnee Thai this last weekend. I've read the rave reviews and figured it would be an amazing experience. It wasn't. First off, they screwed up our reservation, so we ended up waiting 30 minutes for a table. Then service was fairly slow and spotty, but then again, it was Saturday night and the place was crazy busy. One of the bigger problems was that we ordered a second plate of Pad Thai after we received the first (at the beginning of the meal) and it didn't arrive until right before we were intending to leave and we had finished all our other entrees, and after we told them to cancel it because it was taking too long. So we ended up leaving with a plate of Pad Thai we no longer wanted, wrapped to go. Not impressive.

So what about the food? The food is good here. Is it the best Thai I've ever had? No, it isn't. Is it the best Thai I've ever had in SF? No, it isn't. Was it tasty and good and fairly affordable? Yes, it was. Would I make huge efforts to return here on a regular basis? Probably not. Its a good restaurant, not great, and not anything worth raving about.

Good food, with spotty service and fair prices does not make Marnee Thai exceptional in my book, but if it was around the corner from where I'd live, I think I'd be understandably proud to have it nearby. If you're in the area, give it a try, but forget about trying to make it into a culinary experience you'll remember forever.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The staff was friendly and helpful, and the food was delicious. I cannot pronounce the name of my dish but it was so tasty. My friend had the BBQ chicken which was sweet and flavorful and juicy!