“Superb Tasting Menu”
Review of Michael Mina

Michael Mina
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael Mina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #141 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Front and Battery
Transit: MUNI & BART: Powell Station
Description: Michelin-starred MICHAEL MINA is the crowning jewel that captures the core of Michael's philosophy: bold yet balanced flavors achieved through a combination of acidity, sweetness, spice and richness. At the helm, Executive Chef Raj Dixit achieves these bold, balanced flavors in a cuisine, which draws upon global influences, showcasing the highest quality authentic and seasonal ingredients. The 5-course tasting menu invites guests to explore a dynamic expression of Chef Michael Mina's vast culinary influences while also providing options within each course for the guest to define their ultimate dining experience. The tasting menu is offered for dinner only at $135 per person, with vegetarian options and supplements at an additional cost. A paired down 'a la carte' dinner menu is available at the bar. Lunch is served in the dining room featuring an à la carte menu and at the bar featuring an array of seasonal small plates, as well as salads.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I managed to get a reservation with Michael Mina just two weeks before my trip to San Francisco. I was totally impressed and it definitely deserves the Michelin 1 star ranking bestowed. The ambience was romantic with low dim light. I had the tasting menu and each dish was just as delightful in terms of taste and presentation. Service was just average and a bit slow but that could probably be attributed to a full restaurant.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

It was an unplanned and unexpected visit..but wow ...it was great!!!
We had the 6 course tasting menu..and it was superb!!! I was with 3 others. I don't like game or lamb, so they were kind enough to "customize" my courses to work with my tastes.
There is a 9 course tasting menu which I shall come back to try!!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Last night Annie and I ate at the San Francisco flagship restaurant, having been to the Michael Mina at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. It was supremely satisfying in both expected and unexpected ways. The service was attentive and prompt, friendly and knowledgable. They started us off with a complementary hors d' oerve: a tiny grilled cheese sandwich to be dipped in a teensy cup of unbelievably tasty red bean soup. Sensational!

She had the salmon: fresh, tender, and lightly flavored. I had sliced ribeye served on a bed of chanterelle mushroom & sweet corn risotto--- that itself may be the best thing either of us have ever tasted!! Oh my goodness!!!!

We raved about the risotto so effusively that our excellent waitress persuaded Giovanni, the maitre d, to escort us into the kitchen. There, Chef Jason Halverson explained to Annie exactly how he makes the risotto.

So, in addition to a meal that was superb, we had the surprising delight of seeing the fast-moving kitchen in action, meeting Chef Jason, and learning how to make this stunningly incredible dish!!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We went to San Fran for the weekend to go to Michael Mina's. We ended up doing their 6 course tasting menu paired to distinct and delicious wines. It was a splendid meal and one of the finest I've had in the world. The service and food was amazing! The courses were devine but I didn't care for 2/6 wine pairings. We were so excited to finally try this restaurant after so many years. It did not disappoint!!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Although I'd dined at the Las Vegas Michael Mina--and enjoyed it--this was my first visit to the San Francisco one. The ambience is very pleasant, tables far enough from one another so that diners do not hear adjacent conversations, and the room welcoming. We were escorted to the table at exactly the time of our reservation. We opted for the six-course tasting menu, and on the whole it was well done, though just below the haute cuisine we were expecting. Understandably, the chef was using seasonally fresh ingredients, but almost half of the dishes contained corn, which was more than we'd like. Of the six courses and the amuse bouche--most were excellent, but the sashimi and the duck courses were not up to standard. The duck was practically raw, and the sashimi was tough. The squid ink seafood pasta was outstanding, as was the lobster. The portions were just right, so that we were able to enjoy the variety of tastes without feeling stuffed. The wait staff was indeed excellent: explicit, attentive, solicitous to our dietary restrictions, friendly and pleasant. The meal was paced very well, allowing for the leisurely enjoyment of the dishes. The dessert was the the weakest, but was remedied by the chef's added offering of delectable chocolate cups which melted in the mouth. Next visit, we'll be interested in ordering a la carte for comparison.