“Very cool place.”
Review of Hotel Mayflower

Hotel Mayflower
Ranked #19 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We really enjoyed this place. It was kind of vintage and cool, the room was spacious, clean and comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I will gladly stay here on future visits to SF. Location was quite good and near public transit. My only gripe, which may have just been a fluke or accident...there were no wash cloths to be found in the room. I thought that was kind of odd, but wasn't a huge enough deal for me to ask about. Haha! I know...it sounds weird. I did very much enjoy my stay overall though. Great, charming hotel. Great staff. Comfortable, spacious and clean rooms. A win, overall for sure!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank NATHANHOUSTON

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Visiting San Francisco can be an expensive hotel stay but luckily I found the Hotel Mayflower. It was very reasonable for $125 per night before tax for a "premier deluxe" view with two double beds. It is walking distance (with some hills) to Union Square, BART, and the start of the cable car line on Powell Street. It was built in 1929 and the lobby still retains the design details of that era. They have two vintage elevators where you have to close a door and press the floor button so the metal gate will close before you can go up or down. Our room had a view of the city and we were able to see the top of the Transamerica building (the one with the pyramid)…..pretty cool. There was also a kitchen area that consisted of a small refrigerator, microwave, sink, dishes, and utensils we put to use for our restaurant leftovers.

The front desk is very helpful in giving tips on where to dine, how to get around the city using public transportation, and booking shuttle service back to the SFO airport for only $11 per person. The free continental breakfast was from 7am to 9am and consisted of cereal, toast, muffins, cookies, orange juice, coffee, milk, hard boiled eggs, cheese slices, apples, and peanut butter & Nutella spreads. There is a local market next door that has a deli where we purchased our snacks and water each day before journeying around the city.

The hotel was a convenient starting point to get to Fisherman’s Wharf, Pier 39, Chinatown, the Financial District, and ride the cable cars to other destinations. I would definitely stay here again when in San Francisco.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank CaliLAgirl
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I recently returned from an extended stay in San Francisco (19 nights). Because of the length of my stay, I needed to find something cost effective, and fortunately I found the Mayflower. The front desk staff is incredibly helpful--they were able to recommend restaurants & a reliable shuttle service back to the airport, for example. The room was very basic, but included TV (reception for some channels sometimes sketchy) and WIFI that I found to work well (there are also 2 Apple computers in a public area with a printer attached if you don't have a laptop or tablet with you); & the room is kept clean. A basic, but adequate, breakfast is included in the price of the room. Two areas for which I would recommend improvement is for the hotel to update sheets and towels with fresh, new (white) ones--towels and sheets are absolutely kept clean, but are obviously older; bed sheets are patterned, and most towels burgundy--new, white sheets and towels would make a big difference. The second thing is that I would add better lighting to the public computer area--especially at night the area is not well lit. Just a note to be aware of--there is no air conditioning (it is S.F., and usually not needed), but in the event of rare warm days (of which we had a couple when I was there) you might be uncomfortable if sensitive to the heat. Also, at least at the time I booked, you could not book online--you need to email and/or call.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the Mayflower for the budget conscious traveler.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank TravelingLibrarian11
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Location - great.
Service - excellent, beyond expectation, very helpful and open
Facility - old. Great, fun old elevator that needs a manual. Rooms are functional, comfortable, appropriate
Overall - We would repeat.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank dewitthouse
Reviewed May 22, 2014

The Mayflower is located halfway up a hill so there's a bit of walking uphill involved in getting
there. The staff is friendly and laid back. There's not much in terms of "extra features". Everything is basic, including the free breakfast which consisted pretty much of sliced bread, orange juice, cold eggs, cheese, butter and cornflakes. No hot food.
The rooms are basic. We got a family room on the fifth floor which was quiet and spacious.
The interior was slightly worn and some walls and ceilings needed a bit of touching up.
What surprised me was the cleaning, which was OK some days and then very bad other days. We had been to a beach one day and the floor visibly needed vacuuming. It was simply not done even though the cleaners had been there. I had to point it out and they fixed it but it was very evident that they hadn't done essential cleaning. Perhaps our daily tip was not enough?
I assume people go here for the affordable rates. So did we, but I'm not sure if the high rating here on Tripadvisor is reasonable unless it's strictly based on price. There are some things to fix but kudos to the reception staff. They were awesome!

Room Tip: Away from street on fifth and sixth floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank K_S_Sjogren
Reviewed May 22, 2014

When I emailed the staff for accommodations of 8 people, they were EXTREMELY rude in their response! They emailed back saying just "No" when I asked if they had double beds for a certain date. They really need to step up their game or fire some rude people. I stayed once before and they were much nicer back then even though the hotel room was old and with a bad odor. NEVER even thinking of staying here again!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Lis_107
mayflowersf, Front Office Manager at Hotel Mayflower, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Though you said you stayed in May of 2014, your email said you stayed last year with your boy friend and you"loved it so much that we wanted to bring the family!" . We responded "thank you for wanting to return with family...but it is busy already and we even have a university group taking all the Family rooms...sorry this time."
It's ironic that she said she wanted to return after a year and is now saying our rooms smell!
I feel this is counter productive to make negative remarks because there was no availability.

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights. The location is good, a 10 to 20 minute walk will get you to most places, including AT&T stadium. About $15 for a taxi to Fisherman's Warf including tip.

The rooms and building are very old, and they have continued with that theme with the decor. Everything is in pretty good condition but I found the room gave me allergies. Not sure exactly what the cause was.

The bed was too small for two people and we both seemed to roll to the middle. The room was spacious for 2.

The staff were fairly helpful and approachable. We were given a run down of the area and the bad area of town was pointed out on a map for us.

Overall an ok place to stay at a fair price.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple