“Great find!”
Review of Hotel Mayflower

Hotel Mayflower
Ranked #22 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We loved it - super nice people, classic old building in good shape as far as we saw. Felt very continental in every way. If you're looking for a modern American big chain, you shouldn't stay here, but if you want a warm, friendly hotel with character definitely stay here!

Our room was a good size and nicely furnished, bathroom was functional and clean, WiFi worked fine too. Nothing over the top but nothing to complain about.

The breakfast was typical continental, lots of it and pretty good variety - lots of bready food, so if you're looking for healthy you might be disappointed. Nice big room to eat in and seemed to be a real mix of nationalities too which made for an interesting vibe.

The staff were really helpful too so that was a bonus.

We had a car, so the parking was actually a big draw for us and was great to have. No extra charge, but it's VERY tight - we had a Mustang so weren't doing ourselves any favours but we made it in and out without a scratch (barely).

Good location, close to the streetcar, good price. Great find in San Fran...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We just returned yesterday from the Mayflower. We loved it.

Short version for those in a hurry:
Great dollar value, charming old hotel, breakfast is more than the advertised continental. Wifi in the room. Big rooms for that era of hotel. Bathroom and kitchenette in each of the rooms (I think). If you want 5 star and to be waited on pick somewhere else. If you want old school charm, ambience and down home people pick this hotel.

Long version if you have time to read it:
We had room 218 with 2 double beds. We had ample room with a big dresser, a small table and 2 chairs plus an comfy small easy chair. There is a galley style kitchenette with small fridge, microwave and a few dishes, cups and cutlery on one side and on the other is a cute bathroom and a huge walk in closet. There was also a full length mirror on the back of the closet door. We stored our suitcases in there as well as clothes to keep them out of the way. We were at the back of the hotel so our view was over some rooftops but we didn't care the sun shone in and we liked that. It was fairly quite for us, maybe because we had room near the back. The beds were comfy and the sheets were like you would have at home with floral print. Even though the bath towels were white the face clothes were sometimes different colors with polka dots or whatever like home which I thought was cute. They do supply bar soap and small shampoos and conditioners too. Yes this hotel is old, the carpet may be wore here and there and the cupboards are just painted wood and not laminate but who cares it adds to the charm. They have added different painted murals in each room and different names on the doors. I loved the foyer, the staircase, the sitting area upstairs on the second floor where the computers are. The front desk staff was helpful. The housekeeping staff were friendly, who by they way also serve the breakfast. The breakfast area is big enough to seat several ppl at once. It does get congested when busy around the toaster and the coffee but you will get a chance to get in there, just relax!
I have read reviews where ppl are complaining about several different things. Like the computer speed, really? I used wifi in my room and only had a problem once, the fact that they have wifi is an extra and was happy it worked as well as it did in our room because I have been to several other hotels where you would have to go to the lobby for it to work.
The breakfast consisted everyday of OJ, coffee, tea, hot water, milk, apples, fruit cups (like apple sauce and that sort) instant oatmeal and sometimes on that side of the serving area there were hard boiled eggs. We didn't always get down right away and so I just assumed when they weren't there I had missed it. On the other side of the serving area there was 2 or 3 types of bread, bagels, mini muffins, mini chocolate chip cookies and mini shortbread (yum), jams, peanut butter (smooth and crunchy), nutella, plates with white cheddar cheese slices and again sometimes sliced ham, again I assumed that when we were late we had just missed it. There is also a microwave. But it was plenty to get us started in the morning. Yes there is lots of carbs as the previous person mentioned but listen up people the hotel advertises CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST! Do you know what a true continental breakfast includes, it's coffee, OJ and toast that is it! You are getting way more choices than that so everyone quit complaining!!!!!!! We only paid $116/night which is a lot less than most hotels that do not give you breakfast at all.
The hotel location is good too. Only about 2.5 blocks from the cable cars. 3 blocks to union square. Ride the cable car to the wharf or to market street and catch another bus to somewhere else if you need. Lots of little restaurants and bars close by. We frequented Bacchus Kirk pub, we liked it. Every block seems to have a small market or two and laundry places.
I am only posting a couple of pics of the breakfast area as there are lots of photos of everything else from others.

Also I would like to point out some things that AshlandVicki had complained about that the hotel has no control over. Walking thru the cloud of smoke, well I am not a smoker and I don't really like it either, but people smoke and they have to do it outside, it's better than inside. And the homeless people asleep on the street, there are homeless ppl everywhere in San Francisco but honestly I did not walk by one sleeping on Bush street period let along by our hotel. And for those of us affording the luxury to sleep in a hotel because we have jobs and are mentally capable. I think we should be thankful that we aren't in the same situation as some of the homeless people in SF. Grant you do get annoyed by some of them for sure but sometimes you just have to ignore them and when you so choose give them a little something. When we left we gave one fellow our left over pop, fruit, cheese and pkg of cookies we had from our fridge and he was very grateful. I even left a pair of my shoes behind. We were in the back of the room so I can't comment on party crowd noise we didn't hear any.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank SuHay
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I thought this hotel was fair. I picked it based on all the other ratings about "great hotel" and the ability to have protein at breakfast. Big mistake.

You walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke to enter the hotel; its old, and the beds are hard as rocks. Yes, it was clean and the grocery next door is a plus. But, the breakfast is a carbohydrate and fat bomb. The internet was slow and continually kicked me off line. Poor tv reception in the room. And, it was noisy. Outside party traffic from local clubs, perhaps? Loads of homeless asleep up and down the street made walking - even at 5pm - a little scary.

There are nicer hotels. Yes, its a bargain. I got what I paid for. Won't stay here again.

Room Tip: My tip is to stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank AshlandVicki
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was a lovely hotel. VERY REASONABLY priced. We had a family room as there were 3 adults in our party. Comfortably queen bed & a day bed that had a trundle bed , huge walkin closet, kitchenette complete with dishes & eating utensils. The breakfast was more that adequate, ham & cheese one day & hard cooked eggs another. Good quality bread, scones & cookies. A big plus was the parking garage. Location was near transportation. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank re74dra4
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Great location , good price,clean and quiet hotel and the staff was very helpfull.A little grocery store just next door and 5 minutes walking distance a car rental garage.

The room was clean and very big.

Good breakfast at the HOTEL everything morning.

We will go back !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ginette L
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a great hotel, in the style of europe's boutique hotels, in a fine location, steps from Union Square and at the foot of tony Knob Hill. Yet it's a really good price. It's a bit a dated in terms of decor and such, but it's clean, rooms are large, bed is very comfortable and there is even a kitchen nook if you feel like cooking.

Free continental breakfast is substantial

Staff is super nice, friendly and helpful!

I really liked this place and would stay here again, as well as recommend to others.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank kattrins
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a good priced hotel near to the centre of SAN FRAN
The room was clean with plenty of space. The breakfast was sparce and old fashioned but the food tasted good and there was plenty of choice of drinks. I was quite happy with the limited choice but it was not tempting enough to get my 18 and 20 year old out of bed!!
We came in and out of the hotel with very little talk or interaction from the reception. Just a quick HI . Thats ok though, they were busy which is fine.
good choice for our sightseeing holiday.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family