“Very decent hotel, helpful staff”
Review of Hotel Mayflower

Hotel Mayflower
Ranked #20 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights in September 2013 and had a great stay. It was our first time to the states and the staff were more than helpful in giving us information about the city. Rooms are good, cosy, would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mayflower

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Until a terrible lack of service on our final day, I would have said this hotel was poor but at least had two things going for it - it's cheap and well located. The historical quirkiness that has earned its good reviews on this site are only positives because of the low price. Otherwise the antique elevators are just slow and the absence of air-conditioning would be a problem on even a mildly warm day (if you open the windows at night for air, the street noise would prevent sleep). The one modern amenity, free wifi, drops out constantly. As I said, until some of the worst service I have ever encountered, I would have accepted the hotel's pitfalls because of the price. However, on our final day we found ourselves in a situation where we really needed the hotel staff's assistance and we got none. Having arrived at San Francisco airport for an early morning international flight, we realised we had misplaced an expensive new cell phone. I called the front desk at 7am and explained our predicament, asking the front desk clerk to check our room for the phone before we made a decision on whether to race back and risk missing our flight. To my astonishment, the clerk refused this basic request and said they couldn't leave the desk unattended. This lazy response ignored the presence of other staff for the breakfast service a few metres from the front desk (which commences at 7am). I suggested the clerk could simply lock the front door and take 2 minutes to check our room for the phone, but he responded that he would tell the housekeeping staff and maybe they could send an $800 phone to us overseas. There are few times in a hotel stay when you really need the staff's help and when this rare occasion arose, this hotel's staff essentially refused to get off their backside to provide basic assistance to their guests. Totally unacceptable. Luckily I found a cab driver who, upon hearing of our problem, drove like a maniac and got me from SFO to the hotel (where I recovered the phone my self from our room) and back to SFO in rush hour in just 50 minutes total. You expect that kind of service from a hotel, not a taxi driver!

8  Thank 4leaf1981
mayflowersf, Front Office Manager at Hotel Mayflower, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

In reading your review, we wish to reiterate what you were told on the phone: the clerk was very busy checking people out...and the "housekeeping staff could check when they arrived and we could send it to you. " Yes, we have done this for guests MANY times and for items even more valuable than $800....laptops, i pads, favorite boots, watches. We could have overnighted this to your next destination.
Your comments are disappointing as we bend over backwards to provide customer service before and after check out.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Mayflower for two nights over a weekend. We selected this hotel based on reviews on this site, and were not disappointed.

The hotel itself is old, but full of character and charm - from the classic elevators to the individual artwork adorning the corridors and stairwell. It is perfectly positioned, with Union Square only a few block away. We also walked to Chinatown and the wharf (although this was a bit of a walk).

There are excellent restaurants, diners and bars on the surrounding streets, that offered great food and seemed to the less touristy than those closer to Union Square. The staff were helpful in supplying a map on checkin, and highlighting attractions, eating options and public transport.

We were lucky enough to get car parking, which was free. Parking is limited, and operates on a first come first serve basis. As stated in other reviews here - the parking is TIGHT. We were driving a small car (very small by US standards), and it only just scraped through the entrance (pun intended). However, to get free parking that close to the centre of San Francisco made the stay even better value.

1  Thank natgrob
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I checked in on the 15th of september and was greeted and chekcked in by a handsome young man by the name of Charlie. Very helpful staff and Very basic breakfast. I did have some troubles with the wifi the first night but after that everything was just peachy. (side note, I ended up asking charlie the night desk guy out on a date and said he had a girlfriend) :(.
I would def stay here again..

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in August 2013.
Hotel is well positioned, on bush street, just a couple of blocks from Nob Hill and 10 min from Union square and Powell Street stop. Chinatown is close to the hotel also.
The area is ok even in the night.
Hotel is located in a historic building of first decades of 1900 but the building has been restructured.
Not all rooms are equal..some rooms have been recently restructured and look like brand new while others are older. New rooms have a higher rate than older ones.

Our room was restructured except from the bath which was quite old, without hair drier but acceptable (we already knew it, but we choose a lower rate..) . The room was equipped with fridge, kitchen and microwave, bed size was just ok for two people. Room and bath were very clean.
Breakfast is included in the rate, there is not so much choose but you won't stay hungry!
One positive thing for Italians: there is Nutella!
Personnel was kind and gave us some useful tips to visit the town.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I adored this hotel, the location was amazing and the staff were excellent. I turned up without luggage and the ladies were amazing, gave me lots of advice and nice discount voucher to go shopping with.

the road noise can be a little much at times so if you have trouble sleeping do ask for a room at the side or back or take ear plugs. Beds can also be a bit squeaky but are still really comfortable.

Great chinese restaruant down the road too, think its called city chopstix from memory. Garlic shrimp(prawans) were to die for.

I loved the elevators and the whole vibe of the hotel, would definitely stay here again and again.

Room Tip: Go from rooms on the side or at the back
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Hotel Mayflower is located in a very nice neighborhood within walking distance of several great restaurants and Union Square. The Hotel is very affordable, quiet, and clean. We rented a double and were happy with the size of the room even with 3 people. The breakfast was decent and worked for our 1 night stay but I would have switched it up after the first day. Overall, I would highly recommend this place, especially for those traveling on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends