“Great value for money - couldn't ask for more!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Mayflower

Hotel Mayflower
Ranked #24 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great value for money - couldn't ask for more!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Just stayed at Hotel Mayflower for three nights over the Memorial Day weekend, and will be back again when I return to San Francisco. I paid just slightly over $90 a night for a single room including taxes and breakfast - unbeatable value for the city and its location. The hotel is a short five-min walk downhill to Union Square and the shops along Market St, within easy access of Chinatown, Pacific Heights (shopping and restaurants) and a few blocks from the cable car line that will take you to Fisherman's Wharf and the piers. The area around the hotel is mostly residential - there are a few interesting cafes and restaurants and there's a small store just next door (Mayflower Market) if you need to buy any essentials like bottled water etc.

Service was warm and friendly, I arrived just after noon but Nancy at the front desk checked me in even though I was there before the check-in time of 3pm. The room was clean and spacious - huge walk-in closet, small kitchenette with silverware if you get take-out, decent-sized bathroom. Yes the room does look a little dated but it was very clean, and I was used to it since I live in an old 1920s building back home!

Nancy was very helpful in giving me tips about public transport and where to avoid walking. The hotel is just north of the Tenderloin, and I was told to avoid passing through it on the way to Market St. The best way to return to the hotel is to take Powell St up before making a left on Bush. I travelled alone and I felt safe as a woman returning to the hotel every night.

The breakfast wasn't much to shout about, but it was good enough to get me started. There is no hot food - only scones, muffins, bread and boiled eggs. Still, can't complain with the rates!

Overall, would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank intransit111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

This hotel rocks , it is a little dated but very quaint and friendly . Computers with free printing and free breakfast . I would recommend it for anyone who doesn't need a brand new room .

Room Tip: got a room in the back per my request , quiet but a little dog barking across the alley
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank johnybwood
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

I paid $92 incl tax for 1 night

Needed somewhere to stay for one night before getting on a cruise ship out of San Fran and chose this place as the reviews were pretty good.

The best way I could describe the service at check in was in-different - I was told breakfast ended at 9am (I slept through my alarm so didn't wake up until 9 and assumed that I had missed breakfast so didn't go down - at check-out I discovered on a Sunday breakfast is until 10am)

I arrived with 2 suitcases and an arm in a sling (due to elbow surgery just before trip and not being able to cancel trip) so asked for assistance to get my bags to my room. The guy at the desk seemed like I was making trouble asking for help. The lifts are small and when in the lift with my 2 suitcases and the man from front desk, we were squeezed in and my backpack was preventing the door from closing so the man from the front desk pushed my backpack, which pushed me and I nearly fell over which could have been a disaster, luckily I didn't. I got no sorry or anything.

Room was spacious, clean with a little kitchenette, bathroom small but had everything I needed and since I was traveling alone it was great for 1 person.

I was on 4th floor on side of building and I heard no noise from anywhere

At check out the 2 women at the front desk organised someone to get my suitcases from my room (no drama this time) and also someone to hail me a cab (quicker to hail then call and they were right) - had a cab in less than 5 mins

Even with the issues at check-in I would still stay here as location is great, rooms are basic but provide everything you need and the price is great (and apparently they provide breakfast LOL) - I just wouldn't stay here alone if I knew I needed assistance

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

We liked this hotel. The entrance hall and seating area is lovely. Each room has a wall mural of a part of San Francisco, which was part of its charm. We stayed here twice in May and preferred the non-corner room as the extra window in a corner room meant more city noise for sleeping. However we hasten to add, that generally this was a quiet hotel for city noise and we slept reasonably well. There were walk-in closets in our rooms to stow suitcases and clothes, a big bonus. The bathroom was done in a deliberately dated style, which was quaint but could have done with a little more space to stow toilet bags (wash bags). There was a sink/microwave area in the main room that we used for this. There was no air conditioning, but it was not needed in May anyway, and the windows opened fully for ventilation.

Breakfast was served 7-9am on weekdays, (and until 10am on weekends) and was serve yourself style - boiled eggs, porridge (oatmeal) , coffee, cheese, cookies etc.

The lifts are old-style: with a cage door you open but the lift closes, much fun! Overall we were glad we stayed here - the reception staff were very helpful. Its a convenient and safe area to stay in.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HampshireMim
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed for 7 nights at the end of April 2012. The location was great and within walking distance of many cool neighbourhoods and the cable car lines and other public transportation. By walking and using public transportation we never had to use our car once. Our room at the back of the hotel was very quiet. The breakfast (toast, instant oatmeal, peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, apples, scones, cookies, muffins, tea, coffee) was very good. We stayed in a standard queen room. The bed was comfortable and the room was a good size with big closets. The computers with internet access and printers on the second floor was very helpful. There is a good grocery store next door and a laundry very close by. The parking lot is very small and I was glad that we drive a Honda Civic. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Charming lobby and elevator. I would definitely stay again. You could pay way more and stay elsewhere but with everything they offer there is no reason to.

Room Tip: Room 119 was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RDKF99
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

We paid just ov $100 night for two nights, which we budgeted for. There was a mixup with my reservation but they kindly gave me the older, lower rate. The hotel was built in 1929 and besides the TV and wi-fi, (and microwave and fridge) little seems upgraded. This is kind of cool in a city dripping with history like San Francisco but I might have thought it kind of grotty elsewhere... The bathroom had those tiny hexagon tiles on the floor, which reminded me of my first apartment 40 years ago (as did the quaint wood cabinets and fittings of the kitchenette) but I could not help worrying how clean they could get it, really. Some of the grouting was a bit worrisome too. I asked for a quiet back room and I got 509 which looked into the window of the next door building, which I thought was fine, planning only to sleep here, (and there were good blinds) but my partner did not like it. Pluses: beds comfy, handy fridge and microwave (with a nicely stocked market downstairs). Decent continent breakfast included, not fancy (toast, instant oatmeal, hardboiled egg, juice, coffee/tea, apples, cookies) enough to get you out the door. The elevator is a funny antique that takes some getting used to, but you can pinch your hand in the metal gate. One caution: we found the walk up Jones street from Market 9pm at night full of very scary characters...it is not a good neighborhood.

Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Wings-it
goleta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

I searched tons and tons of hotels and read hundreds of reviews to finally find the Hotel Mayflower! It was our very first time in SF, and wanted a place in the center of the beauty. This hotel is in the most perfect location- blocks from union square and both cable car turnarounds! Bus stops super close, at least 5 coffee shops within close walking distance- just cannot beat this location.
The hotel itself was perfect! FREE parking! Yes it's a small garage and you have to have a small car to get down there, but what a great value!
Our room was on the 5th floor and was so quaint and cute, small bed, but it felt like our own little SF apartment, with a mini fridge, microwave, silverware cups and plates, and the best part a WALK IN CLOSET! so perfect!
The staff was super friendly and helpful with directions and such.
Would definitely recommend and will stay here again and again on our next trip to SF!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple