“Great lunch prior to Opera House”
Review of Max's Opera Cafe

Max's Opera Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Max's Opera Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,652 of 5,797 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Golden Gate
Transit: BART - Civic Center Station. SF Muni - Lines 5 Fulton, 31 Balboa, 47&49 Van Ness
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We enjoyed two different soups (Matzo ball chicken and Mexican vegetable) with caesar salads for a lovely lunch. Both were full of flavor and delicious. For dessert we ordered a piece of the gluten free cheesecake to share. Four people would have been satisfied with that generous helping but we gainfully finished it off. I would recommend Max's any time if attending an event at the Opera House. Valet parking is just around the corner and then it is a short walk. Make sure you have enough time, the restaurant was busy and service a little slow, but waitstaff very helpful.

1  Thank californiawalker

Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I are rather unfamiliar with the area around the Opera House in San Francisco. After walking a few blocks around the area, we came across Max's Opera Cafe. Having arrived 2 hours prior to the show (a holiday matinee of the Nutcracker) we thought we may have arrived too early. It turned out to be perfect because an hour into our lunch, the line to get in extended outside the restaurant. I don't know if it was because of the holiday, but the restaurant had a great energy and was very festive. I had a salmon caesar salad which was perfectly cooked and was delicious. Service was excellent. It's also definitely family friendly! We will definitely return!

Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I have been eating at this Max's for decades. It is centrally located in San Francisco and both street and garage parking are nearby. On out last visit we were hosting 7 other people: My niece and her husband, their two teenaged sons and their three elementary aged girls. We chose Max's for a family gathering because the menu is varied, the portions gigantic and the atmosphere family friendly. The service was almost spot on and the waiter knew to get food to the three younger ones fast. There was ample variety on the menu for everyone, the food came out of the kitchen quickly and was up to Max's normal high standards. The one small issue is that the meals on the kid's menu came with ice cream and it took a long time to get to the table, not good when three little girls are getting squirmy. Our lunch was not cheap but I considered it a value, blending costs/quality/service.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Good food and prices are reasonable. Very convinient if you are there for the show at the Opera House (it's within walking distance a couple of min from the Opera House). We always visit before or after the ballet.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I do not get to San Francisco that often but I have had occasion to eat at Max's several times in the past and found it to be fun, friendly and the food filling and tasty. This was not the case this past weekend.

The crab cakes were wonderful but my burger was dry, the bun stale and the fries cold. Other people at our table had similar issues as well.

I only hope this was just an off night for Max's. I will say the lady singing show tunes and opera was wonderful! GIven the opportunity I'll try Max's again but it might be awhile.