“Good Food and Great Music”

Les Joulins Jazz Bistro
Ranked #1,533 of 5,861 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Union Square
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I went to the Jazz Bistro for a late night snack. We were drawn to the place by the live jazz band we could hear from the street. The inside of the restaurant isn't much to look at but the mood was festive and the service was good. We ordered the Garlic Fries which were good but VERY garlic-y. Other items on the menu looked intriguing so I am hoping to go back again for a regular meal.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was looking for a reasonably priced nice restaurant downtown to take my daughter for her birthday on 4/27. Looking at the restaurants downtown and the Embarcadero, most of them are touristy over priced. In the past I have been to the Boulevard Restaurant, One Market, the Waterfront, Hawthorne Lane, Rubicon, and Postrio, to name a few, and all are good restaurants, however what you're really paying for is the ambiance and a high price meal.

I was looking for a restaurant that was reasonably priced, great service, and delicious food. This is the place. We didn't have a reservation and walked in around 6:15pm and we were seated right away. The wait staff were very attentive and friendly. We weren't familiar with the items on the menu so we took a while to decide. The waiter never rushed us to order and gave us all the time we needed to decide.

All of the items that we ordered were delicious: Frog Legs, Chicken Breast in Champagne Sauce, Pork Loin, New York Steak, and Spinach Fettuccini. Even the coffee was delicious. I had to ask the waiter what brand it was - it was that good. The coffee they served was Peerless Coffee sold locally from Oakland. Oh, and I forgot about the jazz musicians. They were pretty good and entertaining and no cover charge - where in the city can you find live entertainment without cover charge. Doc, the sax player gave a little history of the songs they were going to play - entertaining info.

I read some of the reviews on trip advisor and looked for the negatives that some individuals posted. I found all of the waiters very courteous and attentive. Some people felt that the waiters weren't attentive. I found that we were enjoying the jazz quartet and they didn't want us to feel like they wanted to rush us out of there. If I needed something, I just flagged them down and they attended to what I needed right away - I think some people have too high of expectations - get real people. As for the tip jar the jazz quartet came around with, they told a story of how that started back in the day and told us if we want to give them a tip that would be great and if you didn't that was okay too.

For the people who were disturb by that,come on now, this was free entertainment, they didn't twist your arm for a tip and you weren't required to give them anything either. I gave them a nice tip because it was entertainment they were giving us for free - just like the tip I gave our waiter for his great service.

I mentioned to our waiter that it was my daughters birthday and they surprised her by having the jazz band announce her birthday and sing happy birthday to her. They gave her a nice champagne glass of ice cream with a candle in it and also offered all of us a free dessert. We were full from our dinner we passed on the dessert.

To sum it up, this place has reasonable prices compared to the other restaurants that I listed, great wait staff, free live entertainment, and delicious food. Compare the prices - you'll see.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

My friend and I visited Les Joulins Jazz Bistro in mid March, while on vacation in San Francisco for a meal. We were both very disappointed. The staff were unhelpful and did not care. The Jazz musicians were only fair and then goes around with a jar collecting money.

The main course was poor and the beef was tasteless and burned and the bread was only brought to us shortly before the main course.

However when we got the bill, they already had added a large tip and the waiter had just vanished. We paid and left and certainly will not be coming back.

This is a tourist trap and as soon as you look at the menu on the outside one of the staff are immediately to you and get you to come in and then once you are in, they do not care.

This restaurant need to improve a lot.

We had a horrible experience and the meal was not cheap.

1  Thank Group T
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Popped in on the way back to my hotel. The restaurant & bar were pretty empty but the jazz music enticed me in. Had an OKish meal (soup was more packet then home made, fettucinni was quite nice if a bit over creamy) but who cares - the jazz music was incredible. Sorry can't remember the name of the act but they were really good. Left the restaurant humming "Take me to the moon" all evening.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Saw four different fabulous jazz bands perform here, and had dinner twice! We were really impressed by the talented performers! This was a short walk from our hotel so we dropped in 4 times during our week''s stay in the city. The wait staff were warm and friendly, and the service was excellent! Had seafood selections both times we dined and were not disappointed. I just wish Les Joulins was in my home town.