“Great beer and food”

Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Haight-Ashbury
Description: Gastropub and artisan brewery serving house-brewed ales. Specializing in English-influenced and cask-conditioned beer alongside made-from-scratch, locally sourced California pub food. Bar always open at least one hour after kitchen closes.
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Magnolia is real highlight in the Haight. We stopped for a quick drink one afternoon recently and ended up not only having two of their quality house-brewed beers but also the tuna sandwich. It’s not often that a sandwich is Tripadvisor worthy, but this one definitely is. Great food, beers and friendly service.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was looking for beer and a burger for a later dinner, and Magnolia fit the bill in the area. The burger was good, no complaints, and the fries were decent.

The beers I had were decent, not great. I was a little disappointed that at the time they had a few bitter and extra-special bitter styles, which are not my favorite styles, and the draft list seemed partially themed that way. Ok, bad timing on my part. It's unusual stuff for an American microbrewery, especially to have 3 or 4 of them. That said, the beer I had was good but not shipping bottles cross-country stuff (to be fair, that's a hard standard for anyone to meet, in my opinion).

I'd definitely go back and would probably give a try to some of their sausage and cheeses to pair with their beers, but on my visit I wanted a big burger and I left happy.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I wasn't eating today, but that food looked EXCELLENT. I was instead drinking a sampler of 6 beers from the tap. Which was awesome. The brown was by far the best, and had the most amazing malt flavor. And, to top it all off, there are some very attractive bar maids to watch while you eat or drink....

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My brother and I went in Sunday evening on a holiday weekend. The bar was busy but there were several tables empty in the dining area. We asked if we could sit down at a table to drink because we had already ate. The waiter told us we had to order food to sit at a table. We asked if we could order beers and an appetizer and we were told there is a 10 dollar minimum for food per person to sit at a table. We saw multiple parties walk in and leave because there was nowhere to sit. It seems like they could sell more beer if they would expand the bar seating. The beer selection was good, lots of interesting Belgian beers. We probably won't be back.

1  Thank newmexico11
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stumbled upon this little pub after walking around the trendy Haight-Ashbury neighborhood. It was crowded and a pretty long wait but well worth it. We just happened to go there on a Thursday night and their special is the fried chicken (only on Thursday nights). They get the chickens from a local farm right there in San Fransisco. I am from the South and I am not exaggerating when I say this was the best fried chicken I have ever eaten. It comes with a delicious biscuit topped with some sort of gravy. The best part is - drizzled over the fried chicken and the carrots is this sort of honey sauce. Great meal.