“Beautiful Views”

Franciscan Crab Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Franciscan Crab Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Taylor
Transit: Muni: F-Line
Description: Named best food at the Wharf by Sunset Magazine. Enjoy breathtaking views of the Golden Gate Bridge while feasting on fresh seafood & more.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This restaurant had a great art deco feel and amazing views of the bay. We had a window table directly overlooking Alcatraz. It wasn't until the end of our meal that we discovered our table came equipped with binoculars as well. My boyfriend and I enjoyed drinks, an appetizer, and meals here. All of our food was delicious but unfortunately I found a metal shard in my food. The staff was very embarrassed and offered to bring me a new dish. They also brought us a dessert because of the inconvenience. The food and views were great just be careful of your fork, although it should be a rare occurrence.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,125)

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We came here because the day we toured Fisherman's Wharf it was a little cooler outside and we wanted a restaurant that offered a great view while we warmed up. It was just a quick stop - a couple of Anchor Steam pints and a order of raw oysters. The service was slow and the décor is obviously being maintained to look the same from when it was big back in the day; not our style preference. However, the oysters were delicious and right on par with the price of oysters at other restaurants on the Wharf - $2.50/oyster.

Overall, the Franciscan was good for a quick stop to warm up, have a beer and enjoy some oysters in a very touristy area.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We arrived iin SF after a 4+ hour flight and headed straight to Peir 39 area to find some food. This was the first resturant we noticed and headed in. It was around 5pm so the place was pretty empty and where seated right away. We didn't get a window seat but still could see out window and was a nice view. My daughter and I had the prefixed meal for 39.99. This included soup, main entree and frozen Kustard. We both chose the calm chowder and crab alfredo. This was the best alfredo that we have ever eaten. The crab pieces where huge. The calm chowder was awesome. I can't remember the name of my husbands dish but it was pasta, olives, tomatos and he added shrimp. Another excellant choice. My son ordered off the kids menu and had the buttermilk battered chicken which he gave a thumbs up to. He usually orders off the adult menu but went with the kids because he wanted to save room for the Chocolate Truffle Mousse. He said it was heaven. Total price was high at $180 with tip but we expected that. Excellant first meal. So why the 4 and not 5 rating. The bathrooms where disgusting. Paper on the floor, toilets dirty, gross. When I pay that much for a meal I expect cleaner bathrooms then that. Makes you wonder what the kitchen is like. Overall the service was fast and friendly. Would go again.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I got a table next to the window... Well, I read the menu, and wanted to get some advice on selecting the crab.... 2 mins, 3 mind, 4 mins, 5 mins... Just saw those waiters and waitress standing right there chatting. I tried to look for someone to order... 1 min, 2 min, 3 min... Well I wanted to leave. They served others, but not me (I was one person). Then I asked a guy wearing black uniform, then he said wait a min... A girl came to me... The I can finally make another... She told me another waiter will serve me... Gosh! Actually I saw the waiter served the other tables very good.... Is his thinking I'm in only one that I won't order much...? I didn't want to pay the gratitude actually...
Food was too salty..i ordered crab enchilada.
The only good thing is this restaurant has good view!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The Franciscan has a hard working staff, great location and unbelievable views. They have most of what it takes to be great, except food. If they were bought out by Landry's or Red Lobster it would be a big improvement. The chowder's only taste was fishy, the crab was forgettable.