“Locals in the know eat here”
Review of Butterfly - Embarcadero - CLOSED

Butterfly - Embarcadero
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Bay Street at The Embarcadero
Transit: Take the bart or muni to Market Street. Catch the F-line street train towards Fisherman’s Wharf. It stops in front of our restaurant at Pier 33.
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Met a resident ofSF on plane who recommended Butterfly. I had dinner there on a Friday after my Alcatraz visit. Good wine selections, interesting food (the best Caesar salad I have ever had). I highly recommend this place. make reservations so you can get a table overlooking the bay.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Celebrated a birthday here and couldn't have been happier with the food, and portions were also impressive. Waterfront location but not much of a view unless a ship is passing by but the decor and 'happy' atmosphere make up for it. Wait staff is exceptional, friendly and helpful. One in our party ordered chicken wings, which don't usually excite me (ho hum!), but theirs were meaty, very crisp with a glaze to die for! One of the best creme brulees ever. Daily specials truly are special!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

OK, here's the deal... I went to SF and set up the Alcatraz night tour. Did the sightseeing things for the day and honestly was not too impressed with SF in general. Sorry to the locals...just not my thing. Well, I hopped off the Big Bus tour at Pier 39 with the intent to hang around there and then walk up to Pier 33 to get the Alcatraz tour. Pier 39 was very crowded and all tourists - I had two hours to kill and was jostled around a little but also realized that it was very corporate! Maybe you understand what I am saying -- a MANUFACTURED pier experience. Nothing really local or authentic -- looked like cafes and fast food type places anywhere in the USA. Sort of like NY becoming "Disney-fied". Looked like fun for families with little ones - but no real sense of any kind of authentic flavor. Let me preface -- I did not expect it to be authentic - I was just looking for a place to kill a couple of hours before Alcatraz.

We walked back to Pier 33 and there literally was no food/bar options anywhere around. There was a restaurant across from Pier 33 that required reservations and then there was Butterfly, which was next door to the cruise. We were in between brunch and dinner so only were offered the Appetizer menu, which was quite limited.

Here's the upside, the bill for 2 adults with one liquor drink each and 3 shared appetizers was $60 all-in. The drinks were well made and they were generous with the liquor. The appetizers were small portions and a bit greasy. It was really average bar-food if I compared it to any other places I have been. Good, nice atmosphere, very competent and friendly wait staff, but nothing exciting.

If you have a couple of hours to kill before your Alcatraz cruise, this is a good spot to hang out at, have some drinks and appetizers and wait. I would be remiss to suggest this as a destination for dining as I just wasn't feeling it -- even with their full menu, which was fairly limited.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We went to Butterfly with friends while visiting the area. The food was good, not fabulous. Actually, somewhat ordinary. It was mostly upscale bar food. If you put this restaurant in another city, you would say it was very good, but for San Francisco, you can do better.

The service was just OK. We ordered the sliders medium. After eating one, we determined they were very raw. When we called the waiter over, he took the order, and just nooked the others. Said he couldn't cook the one we had already bitten into. They should have redone the entire order.

1  Thank TRDesk
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had lunch with some business colleagues at Butterfly on the waterfront in San Francisco. The food was a mixture of American and Asian cuisines. I had the Vietnamese fish sandwich which was crispy and flavorful. The side of fried potatoes was particularly good. The food was a highlight but the decor and view of the bay helped to enhance the dining experience. Service was quite good as well, prompt without being intrusive. The noise level was low which allowed us to have a good business conversation over our meal.

1  Thank CarpeNox