“Waffles are a rhapsody”

Ranked #163 of 272 Quick Bites in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Bernal Heights North
Neighborhood: Bernal Heights North
Reviewed July 29, 2017

Cafe St. Jorge is a bit of a drive for breakfast but billed as Portugese and Azores-inspired, it offered a prelude to our Portugese holiday in the fall.

At 9:30 am, Saturday, a line was just sprouting, but seats were already scant. We queued up, admired the lopsided frames of landscapes on the walls and the pastries in the showcase, surveyed the healthy bowlfuls enjoyed by the crowd of diners who looked and sounded as if they had just earned their degrees, most fingered their phones while waiting. Babies abounded, dogs are allowed.

The raven-haired counter girl with a lovely accent was flustered when I asked if the "conserva" was house-made, made me show the list on the menu and only then recalled the preserved sardine, tuna and octopus sides were imported from Portugal. We opted for the waffles, the house specialty, saving our seafood appetite for the real thing in Lisboa.

My Orange Blossom waffle topped simply with yoghurt was a rhapsody of crisp and fluffy, creamy and sweet with a splash of maple syrup. Loved every mouthful, left no room for the pasteis de nata, somewhat a national treat

M's savory waffle was loaded with ham and cheese with spinach, robust and satisfying to the palate and the belly.

The place touts its coffee ($4 bottomless), but considering ourselves java connoisseurs, we played cautious, went for the mug ($2.75, $1 retouch). Which was wise because theirs paled against my morning golden brew from non-fancy beans. Theirs was a bit on the bashful side.

Don't go hungry because the wait can last over 20 minutes as in our case, though it was worth it. Also, by 11 am, the line was out the door, tables scarce. Maybe order out.

Date of visit: July 2017
Write a reviewReviews (17)

Reviewed June 22, 2017 via mobile

Wonderful breakfast and coffee. Good service and atmosphere. I would thoroughly recommend. they also had cakes, pastries and granola bars to go.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed December 3, 2016 via mobile

Man, am I glad I found this place. Such a wonderful ambiance. Seemed like Oakland in SF And the food? Fabulsoso. The Hispanic name is misleading. It was kind of a "natural foods" influenced-Gallicized-West Coast delicious.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed October 22, 2016

Hipsters, techies, students, and business people—generally a young crowd—fuel up here at this small, very cool café on Mission. With lots of Portuguese treats and good wifi (of course!), this is a great place to start your day, whether you are writing code for a new app, writing an exam, or even writing a poem to your loved one. The chairs are a bit low for the tables, but that's a quibble. Check it out!

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed August 11, 2016

I was staying in an air bnb across the road from Cafe St Jorge and my host said I could get some great coffee and breakfast there. He was right! I ended up eating here on several occasions and happily working my way through the breakfast eats! The coffee is excellent as is the food and the space. Go!

Date of visit: March 2016