“A slice of North Beach”

Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had eaten here on a previous trip and enjoyed it, so I thought I would stop in again on a more recent visit. Mario's feels as if it's been part of the neighborhood forever, somehow old-school and hip at the same time. It's cozy and has big windows looking out on the lively North Beach scene -- perfect for enjoying lunch and soaking up atmosphere at the same time. Both times I've eaten here (with several years in between), I had friendly service and felt perfectly comfortable as a solo diner (though this would be a great place to bring a friend as well). I like the meatball sandwich, which I ordered this time with a small Caprese salad. It was just right for lunch and delicious, too. I wish I had had time for dessert, as the menu looked intriguing.

Besides food, Mario's has coffees, tea, Italian sodas, beer, wine, and aperitifs, so no matter what you're in the mood for, you're covered. I would have to say this place is one of a kind, and that's a compliment.

There are newer reviews for Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store and Cafe

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

It was just by chance that we walked by, looked at the menu in the window and just decided to go in. Just enough room for a bar and about 6 tables, this little place has quite a history as a cigar store. But it is quite the restaurant. The waitress was friendly and easy going. Food was fantastic. It was an unexpected delight to experience this place. I guess when you just walk into a place, it is a 50/50 chance. But we hit the jackpot. Wonderful meal, wonderful coffee, and wonderful staff. This one is going on my list of places to definitely return to!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Just a cool old fashioned diner type of coffee shop. The type of place where you sip down cup after cup of coffee and hang out a while. Perfect location, facing washington park, right on columbus. I met many good people there and always had a good time. The staff are funny and always friendly.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

The location, next to Washington Park, provided plenty of people-watching opportunities while we dined. The Italian food was authentic, inexpensive and delicious. The decor and staff were eclectic and fun.

1  Thank bethbesson
Reviewed November 1, 2012

First tried this place 10 years ago and went back. It is isnt a cigar store and I don't think Mario owns it but what a great and funky little place to have lunch. Do try the House Campari--mucho refreshing!!!