“Delicious and affordable!”

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is an unassuming restaurant in a weird location (the upper level of what looks like an office building). I was a bit skeptical when we walked up, but the dining room was relatively spacious and clean. It certainly wasn't the best decorated restaurant I have ever been too, but I didn't mind the overall atmosphere. Service was friendly, quick, and pleasant. The best part though was the food. I am used to East coast "Chinese" food which is very heavy-handed. We got the sweet and sour chicken, General Tso's Chicken and pork fried rice (I know not very original) but man was it delicious! The food was so much more flavorful and lighter than I had ever tasted from a Chinese restaurant. I absolutely loved it. They gave us very large portions which were more than needed, but I'd rather have too much food than too little when you are hungry. I would definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Let's face it, you don't typically go to a Chinese restaurant for chatty servers and fussy decor, so I've come to expect great food at places that don't look like much, where the service is...efficient but not effusive. This is our sixth visit to Oriental Pearl and each time, the food gets worse and the service more surly. It was unpleasant, from the dirty bathrooms and fish tanks, to the rude hostess and the food slapped down on the table. Which was just not good. There is wonderful food -- world-class food -- in Chinatown. Places with ambiance that work hard to survive in a crowded market. Leave the Oriental Pearl to tourists, and find a better meal.

1  Thank Kate320
Reviewed April 9, 2013

It's certainly one of the best chinese restaurant I've been to. This is a small restaurant in Chinatown with a friendly staff ( an older member of the staff took care of us and was helpful and very funny). The food was plentiful and tasted great. Nice value. Recommended for business travelers, couples and families.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you are looking for great Chinese food then go to Oriental Pearl at SF China Town! From Dim Sum to Pekin Duck! Everything was delicious. Very simple and casual place but the service was good!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had asked our concierge (Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf) for a recommendation for a good chinese restaurant.

Expectations were dashed when we arrived outside the building in the middle of Chinatown and climbed the stairs - it was nothing to write home about. When we entered, however, it looked like chinese restaurants all over the world we have been to. There was a red flowery carpet, many tables with white tablecloths, the fish tank and a reception as soon as you enter the dining room.

The service was professional but not intrusive and was perhaps less brusque than many a chinese waiter.

We had pork pot stickers and half a peking duck as appetisers. The former were succulent and tasty, the latter also delicious but the pancakes were made up for us - something we do not get in the UK. Tough, if you want more plum sauce or no veggies in the pancake. It was not a deal breaker as the food was really tasty.

We then had black pepper baby ribs which were a little chewy, but I think they were meant to be, we also had the sauteed prawns (very tender and tasty) and chicken with black bean sauce - to my mind the weakest dish, but not awful.

This is a good neighbourhood restaurant. It has a loyal following and it deserves it.
It would be easy to get sidetracked into going into any restaurant here. There are people on the streets giving coupons but stay on track and go into Oriental Pearl.