“Convenient dining close to the Sundance Theatre”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
India Palace Restaurant
Ranked #3,851 of 5,861 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I ate here, primarily, because I finally found parking directly across the street when I was headed to a matinee at the Sundance. I had recently returned from a four month stay in India and this was my first chance to have Indian food since then. I was in a rush so I opted for their buffet lunch. It was good - not great - with a large selection, from appetizers to entrees to desserts - all for $10. The tandori chicken was moist, not dried out as I frequently find in Indian buffets. I found most of the food a little bland, though. I like my Indian food spicy. The waiters were most attentive - but, since the restaurant was almost empty, they had little to do.

This is a good choice if you are going to a movie at Sundance though street parking in the Fillmore is horrible.

It is, by far, NOT the best Indian restaurant at which I've eaten in San Francisco. My personal favorite is the India Clay Oven on Clement Street.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

The dahl was so salty, we could not eat it and did not get a refund. The sauce of Navratan Korma was poor. The Saag Paneer was also salty. Restaurant carpets and floor were dirty.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

If you are looking for ambience, this is the wrong place. If you are looking for good food at reasonable prices, then you have arrived at the right place. The Buffet costs less than $10 per person all you can eat. There are starters, a reasonable spread, many chatnis and pakoras and samosas.

Roti is served hot and like everywhere else in the USA tends to be thicker than it is in India. be it Naan or be it Roti. for vegetarians, there is a reasonably good spread with there or four choices and a good dhal to boot. Generally garlic free unlike many other Indian restaurants that reek of Garlic.

Tremendous value for money, quick and efficient service without much fanfare. This is the Indian version of a quick dinner and lunch place.

I suspect delivery is from another place and not from this restaurant as there seems to be a world of difference between delivered food and what you get at the restaurant. Delivered food is not good at all !!!

Reviewed September 16, 2011

This $9.95 per person all-you-can-eat buffet for dinner is the best steal the city has to offer for Indian cuisine fans. Added bonus, the food is pretty good. The daal was the only disappointment, everything else was good.

1  Thank TonyLINY
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Maybe I just came in at a bad time, around 7p, but these guys don't seem to know how to run a restaurant. After walking in, my guy and I had to wait for someone to acknowledge us and they eventually pointed at a table. Never said a word or asked us if we wanted the buffet or drinks or a menu or anything.

After a couple of minutes of being ignored, we got up and got food from the buffet. The buffet was mostly cold, and poorly stocked. The buffet is slightly over half vegetarian. The food was mostly very good quality, but extremely mild, with some dishes unflavorful. But you can't beat ten bucks for dinner. They did refill our water acceptably fast, but never spoke to us at all, even though there were about as many waiters as patrons (it's a small place, and not very full), and I know at least some of them spoke English because they spoke with some guys who came in to get take out. I got the distinct feeling that they specialize in take-out and the restaurant is a distant afterthought.

After we were already done, they did start to bring out fresh food and plates. I would eat here again, but only because it's so cheap. Expect to pretty much wait on yourself and go up to the counter to pay.