“Dum Sum in the alley”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were on our first visit to San Francisco in 2009 and were walking along Grant Ave. in Chinatown. We were wanting to have Dim Sum while there. A older lady was standing on the corner advertising for Hang An tea room. When we said, yes, we would like to try it, she took off up the hill toward the restaurant, which is tucked down a small alley next to a playground. We had a hard time keeping up!
Hang Ah is tucked away down a alley next to the Willie "Woo Woo" Wong playground. Seriously. It's decor is a combination of worn yellow and lime paint. That's not a putdown. It has the kind of "character" we like. It also had what appeared to be older pictures of Asian beauty pageants around the room, which added to the kitsch factor in a good way.
The dishes we had were all good. I tried chicken feet for the second time but it's apparently just not my thing. I would certainly return here anytime we were lucky enough to be in Chinatown again.

1  Thank Eddie H

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I am in agreement with the only "only fair" reviewer. I saw the food as being only average and very disappointing for a tea house that has been around for as long as it has. The chow mein and fried rice was very greasy. Ordering dim sum off the menu definitely took away from the experience.....a very limited selection.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We always visit this off the beaten path little place for Dim Sum when in SanFrancisco. I like to sit up in the small area in the corner of the place up a few stairs. The service is spotty, but sipping some tea & having a little nice sit down time always works for me. I love the Dim Sum here. For me, this place is a tradition!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We went for Dim Sum here, as it was highly recommended, but ordering the dim sum off the menu is not the way to go, unless you get one of the pre selected meals. Each item came very slowly, and service was very inconsistent. Food was good, but not enough for a second visit unless ordering something else. Price was quite reasonable though.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I love Hang Ahs. I have been dining here since 1977, and it is my one required restaurant visit in San Francisco. Opened in 1920 and secreted in a tiny alley straight up Stockton past Willie Wu Playground, there is no easy way to get here. This fact alone makes it one of China Town's best kept secrets.
Ok, the food. The best pork buns in SF, and the foil-wrapped chicken melts in your mouth. Also love the shrimp dumplings and spring roll. This year tried the braised bok- choy for the first time. Will always order again. The cost for 3 trying everything on the menu? $29.00. Jasmine tea included.