“Sister restaurant in Santa Rosa seems to be the only Dim Sum in Santa Rosa”
Review of Hang Ah Tea Room

Hang Ah Tea Room
Ranked #16 of 261 Coffee & Tea in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Santa Rosa, California
“Sister restaurant in Santa Rosa seems to be the only Dim Sum in Santa Rosa”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Delicious Dim Sum in Santa Rosa at Hang Ah's sister restaurant of the same name. From chicken feet to pork buns of all types. Excellent Chinese greens. Tasty sauces. Saves the one hour drive from Sonoma County to San Francisco to find Dim Sum.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Chris B

Calgary
“So this guy on a corner hands me a menu.....”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My family and I were walking through China town. We stopped at a street corner...noticing a playground and a guy hands us a sheet of paper for the Hang Ah tea room. Normally we'd keep going but I like to visit shops and restaurants just off the main streets. I figure they typically have to better prices / quality to stay in business. We gave it a go and were glad we took a little walk up the hill.

The prices were very reasonable (especially for SFO) and quality was very good. We had the $20 "meal for 2-3" plus a couple of orders of spring rolls. It served three adults and two (small) children lunch. We're not big eaters - but it was just the right amount of food - for the right price.

...and then kids ran and played in the playground for 30mins.

• Visited July 2012
Brooklyn, New York
“Authentic Chinese food”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Great value and good tasting authentic Chinese food.

Visited May 2012
Montana
“Hidden gem worth finding”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I am so glad that I found this place! A friend and I were exploring the city, and I was looking for a new go-to place for dim sum since my old standby Y. Ben House was closed down. I found it! Hang Ah is slightly off the beaten path, which I enjoy. It was very busy the day we were in there due to the Chinese New Year Parade/Street Festival, but we found it to be well worth the wait.

Not knowing what to expect with portion sizes, we assumed tiny tourist trap portions and after a long morning of hiking and exploring we were starving. Between the two of us, we ordered: shrimp dumplings (4p), 2 orders of the hang ah bbq pork buns (2p), curry beef rolls (2p), egg rolls (3p), hum su gok (3p), pot stickers (3p), fried wontons (8p), and beef balls (3p). We ended up waaay over ordering. The food covered every surface of the table, and we gave it everything we had but still had to tap out with at least of 1/3 of it left. No regrets, though, as most everything was delicious, and we gave out the leftovers to the homeless we passed on our way back to our hotel. The pork buns were absolutely perfect - I still dream of these pork buns! Large, soft, delicate flavor, just the right amount of meat...I think my husband has grown tired of me waxing poetic about them! The curry beef rolls had just the right amount of curry for my taste: not overpowering, but enough to give off that rich flavor & aroma and leave a bit of heat in the back of your throat. The pot stickers were also huge and had great flavor. The wontons had a meat filling, which neither of us expected, but we definitely enjoyed. My friend found the shrimp dumplings and egg rolls to be perfectly cooked with delicate crispy outsides and nice consistency on the inside. The only misses for us were the hum su gok and the beef balls. The beef balls are boiled/steamed, and for me they had a weird texture and the flavor was so subtle I could have been chewing on anything. With the hum su gok we weren't sure what it was or what to expect, but we got it in the city spirit of being adventurous. Maybe it's how it is always prepared, but for me the crispy outside/slimy chewy inside just weirded my senses out. I'm one of those texture eaters, and things like that just don't do it for me...but I digress.

In the long short of it I'll definitely be back, and I would recommend it to anyone else wandering through Chinatown as well.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank onecreativejen
Tacoma, Washington
“I've been missing this food”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

On arriving in SF we went looking for lunch and ended up at Hang Ah. You have to look for it as the door is on the side of the building, facing the fenced play areas. We ordered off the ala carte menu. The green beans were some of the best we've had, the pot stickers were excellent, and we ordered extra pork buns to go. The foil wrapped chicken was so-so. I don't remember everything else we ordered, but we walked away very happy and the bill was very modest compared with other meals in SF.

• Visited March 2012