“So this guy on a corner hands me a menu.....”
Review of Hang Ah Tea Room

Hang Ah Tea Room
Ranked #481 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My family and I were walking through China town. We stopped at a street corner...noticing a playground and a guy hands us a sheet of paper for the Hang Ah tea room. Normally we'd keep going but I like to visit shops and restaurants just off the main streets. I figure they typically have to better prices / quality to stay in business. We gave it a go and were glad we took a little walk up the hill.

The prices were very reasonable (especially for SFO) and quality was very good. We had the $20 "meal for 2-3" plus a couple of orders of spring rolls. It served three adults and two (small) children lunch. We're not big eaters - but it was just the right amount of food - for the right price.

...and then kids ran and played in the playground for 30mins.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Great value and good tasting authentic Chinese food.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I am so glad that I found this place! A friend and I were exploring the city, and I was looking for a new go-to place for dim sum since my old standby Y. Ben House was closed down. I found it! Hang Ah is slightly off the beaten path, which I enjoy. It was very busy the day we were in there due to the Chinese New Year Parade/Street Festival, but we found it to be well worth the wait.

Not knowing what to expect with portion sizes, we assumed tiny tourist trap portions and after a long morning of hiking and exploring we were starving. Between the two of us, we ordered: shrimp dumplings (4p), 2 orders of the hang ah bbq pork buns (2p), curry beef rolls (2p), egg rolls (3p), hum su gok (3p), pot stickers (3p), fried wontons (8p), and beef balls (3p). We ended up waaay over ordering. The food covered every surface of the table, and we gave it everything we had but still had to tap out with at least of 1/3 of it left. No regrets, though, as most everything was delicious, and we gave out the leftovers to the homeless we passed on our way back to our hotel. The pork buns were absolutely perfect - I still dream of these pork buns! Large, soft, delicate flavor, just the right amount of meat...I think my husband has grown tired of me waxing poetic about them! The curry beef rolls had just the right amount of curry for my taste: not overpowering, but enough to give off that rich flavor & aroma and leave a bit of heat in the back of your throat. The pot stickers were also huge and had great flavor. The wontons had a meat filling, which neither of us expected, but we definitely enjoyed. My friend found the shrimp dumplings and egg rolls to be perfectly cooked with delicate crispy outsides and nice consistency on the inside. The only misses for us were the hum su gok and the beef balls. The beef balls are boiled/steamed, and for me they had a weird texture and the flavor was so subtle I could have been chewing on anything. With the hum su gok we weren't sure what it was or what to expect, but we got it in the city spirit of being adventurous. Maybe it's how it is always prepared, but for me the crispy outside/slimy chewy inside just weirded my senses out. I'm one of those texture eaters, and things like that just don't do it for me...but I digress.

In the long short of it I'll definitely be back, and I would recommend it to anyone else wandering through Chinatown as well.

2  Thank onecreativejen
Reviewed March 3, 2012

On arriving in SF we went looking for lunch and ended up at Hang Ah. You have to look for it as the door is on the side of the building, facing the fenced play areas. We ordered off the ala carte menu. The green beans were some of the best we've had, the pot stickers were excellent, and we ordered extra pork buns to go. The foil wrapped chicken was so-so. I don't remember everything else we ordered, but we walked away very happy and the bill was very modest compared with other meals in SF.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I try a new restaurant every time I'm in Chinatown, and Hang Ah was the latest. It's an elderly place, with a bit of a funky atmosphere, complete with 1960s Miss Chinatown photos. White table clothes under glass spruce it up. It's in a basement, and not very big. It was crowded, so we had to wait a while, and service was slow.
We got shrimp and pork dumplings, Hum Su Gok (meat filled crispy mochi dumplings), black bean spareribs, turnip cake, and chicken feet (not on the main menu, but I asked, since they are a favorite). My husband got the ginger and green onion noodle soup in addition. He could have skipped the latter, since it was more than he could eat, with the dim sum we had ordered, and the noodles were blah store-stock, though the broth was good. Everything else was great, and the turnip cake some of the best I've had, very savory and crispy on the outside. Chicken feet are a firmer texture than most I've had, slightly redolent of star anise. (There are as many recipes as places that serve them.) My husband's favorite was the Hum Su Gok, which was excellent, chewy and crispy, with a tasty fine-textured meat filling.
Allow plenty of time if you eat here. We finally had to go find someone to get our bill ($22 for more than the two of us could eat), as I think everyone was on break after the big lunch rush.