TripAdvisor

Cuisines: American, Diner
Neighborhood: Lower Nob Hill
Neighborhood: Lower Nob Hill
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

As others have reviewed this place to be a hole in the wall, I did not feel that way. Yes it's old but definitely not as dirty as some have mentioned. Good diner food for a great price. Quick and friendly service.

2  Thank Heather R
Write a reviewReviews (107)

Reviewed July 16, 2014

It's grubby, dated and greasy but the good is amazing!

Husband cooks and wife is the server. Local hotel owner tipped us off about this place and we were dubious about going in and even more dubious when we got inside bit ended up having breakfast/brunch there everyday of our trip.

Omelettes are amazing and are served with a fab hash brown. My husband loved the pancakes!

It's always full, the locals love it. Don't be put of by the exterior or interior!

Date of visit: June 2014
1  Thank raychieh
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We had a great breakfast here, really good home cooked food in a shabby diner style. The bar stools face the workpit and you can watch your breakfast being cooked.

I might be a bit of a snob, fair enough but if this place was located where I live it would be shut down for all the health and safety rules that are so structured here in Victoria BC. The walls are grubby, greasy and dusty. Don't look up at the ceiling... just eat the amazing food and enjoy a GREAT cuppa coffee for an amazing price!!

I'd go again... look straight, ignore the grime and eat up!

Date of visit: June 2014
1  Thank P C
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I am quite sad and resentful to be writing up such a glowing review of Golden Coffee, because I know in a few months everyone will realise how amazing it is, and then I will have to queue up for hours if I ever want to eat there again!

We were originally planning to eat at Dotty's before discovering they'd relocated, and a local tipped us off about this place. From the outside, it's old school Americana - nestled on the corner of a block, U curved counter, high stools, got a bit of a rough around the edges vibe. It's as down to earth as they come, with a delightful mix of shabby charm, but it's the food that elevates it to new heights - pancakes as thick as your arm (well almost.) Strong coffee, great omelettes, amazing hash. Cheap, too!

Grab yourself a plate before Rough Guides gets hold of it and the place will forever be rammed.

Date of visit: May 2014
1  Thank KitKatSplat
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This is a fabulous place for breakfast especially if you're a tourist anywhere near Union Square. It's old-school diner style breakfast. Very good, back to the basics eggs, hash browns and coffee. You can splurge and get the pork chop with eggs and still be under $10. I make it a point to eat here whenever I'm in San Francisco.

Date of visit: December 2013