TripAdvisor
San Francisco
Post
Inbox
Search

“Best valued breakfast in SFO!”
Review of Golden Coffee Shop

Golden Coffee Shop
Ranked #617 of 6,556 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Diner
Neighborhood: Lower Nob Hill
Neighborhood: Lower Nob Hill
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Highly recommend this place for a great breakfast before a day of sightseeing. You can afford to eat here and fuel up for a big day of walking those hills.

Write a reviewReviews (107)

Reviewed September 25, 2011

The Golden Coffee shop was located a couple of blocks from our hotel, this was another place I had read about on Trip Advisor but stumbled upon it one morning.
The interior itself is a little run down, but please do not let this put you off. The shop is run by two older gentleman who make sure you don't go short on the coffee and provide an excellent service.
The shop isn't massive, but there are always people eating in there, we had breakfast here every morning we were in San Francisco and you begin to recognise the same people in there so they have a large group of regulars.
The portions are a very good size and as I mentioned, your coffee is constantly refilled. They run a tight ship with one gentleman taking the orders and serving the coffee and the other concentrating on the cooking. We were served almost immediately every morning with coffee.
The place is excellent value with pancakes or waffles and bacon being roughly $4.25 which is a bargain as it is so yummy!
I intend to return to San Francisco in future and I will definitely be having my breakfast here!

Date of visit: September 2011
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Delicious brekkie in this delightfully shabby outlet. Very very good value.

Reviewed September 11, 2011

Outstanding food. Hash browns that my wife loves(she is a connoisseur). The atmosphere is spartan. Sit at the bar and enjoy the food.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

Now I like to try new eating experiences as much as the next woman, but I laughed out loud when I read a review of this place once that complained that they didn't offer challa french toast. Dude look in the window, read the reviews, the Golden Coffee Shop is a place to go for a genuine, no-frills, freshly cooked breakfast for a ridiculously tiny price, not fancy brunch food. The brothers who run this old-school diner have been doing so for decades. Whenever I land in San Francisco it's always my first stop - Avocado and Jack Cheese Omeletter served with hash browns (freshly grated not out of a frozen packet). I think the most I've ever paid for breakfast here is $US8 including a 25% tip. The french toast is a huge stack, the pancakes generous. The only thing I steer clear of is the poached eggs, made in a steamer and served in a bowl alongside your plate, and the coffee is not fabulous. Go hungry, sit at the counter, be polite to the lovely man behind the counter, don't be a jerk and try to order something that's not on the menu, like Challah French Toast or a skinny soy moccacino. Leave a generous tip. Repeat.

Date of visit: February 2011