“Good lunch at the Thirsty Bear”

Thirsty Bear Brewing Company
Reserve with OpenTable
Thirsty Bear Brewing Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #250 of 5,800 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: 3rd Street
Transit: New Montgomery Station MUNI & BART
Description: ThirstyBear Organic, Small Batch Beers Are Available Fresh, Only On-Draught, Only At ThirstyBear! ThirstyBear is San Francisco’s only Organic Brewery and Certified Green Business. We offer ales, lagers, sours, cask-conditioned, and barrel-aged beers, paired with exceptional Spanish tapas, paella, artisan cheeses and charcuterie. ThirstyBear takes a contemporary approach to traditional Spanish cuisine. We use organic ingredients and the freshest seasonal produce, seafood, and meats sourced from local farms. Our full bar offers artisanal cocktails, and premium California and Spanish wines.
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Enjoyed delicious tapas and an amber beer at the Thirsty Bear. The environment was nice and the service was very good.

1  Thank friofrio
Ron S, Owner at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Glad you had a nice time with us! Good food, good beer, good atmosphere, good service—it sounds like we were right on point, which is really great to hear. If you're ever back in San Francisco, drop by for a bite!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Far better tapas then you'd expect at a brew pub - and right across the street from the W. I'll be back.

Ron S, Owner at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Happy to hear you enjoyed our food! We work hard to impress our guests with tasty tapas, and it's nice to know we were on point. I appreciate the review and look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Good selection of beers. Ok for a quick bite, and a nice change from traditional bar food. Wasn't blown away.

Ron S, Owner at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Although I'm glad you were impressed with our beer selection, I'm sorry our food didn't blow you away. What did you order? How could it have been better? If you have any specific feedback to offer, feel free to email me at ron@thirstybear.com. We're always trying to improve and welcome constructive criticism. Thanks for your time.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have eaten in many restaurants across Spain from small tapas bars to high end restaurants so feel competent to comment on the food served at the Thirsty Bear.

The first experience wasn't great. The place was pretty quiet and we were shown straight to a table and given menus and then waited, and waited and waited. Eventually took our order for beer and wine. I started with the Panda Beer (delicious) and my wife had Russian River Pinot Noir (nice).

We ordered Prawns (small helping and no real flavour), Cod Fritters (Bland), Patatas Bravas (the oddest Patatas Bravas I have ever eaten and nothing like the classic Spanish recipe), Filet Steak (OK but miniscule portion) and Mussels and Clams (OK).

Red Grizzly was also an exceptional beer.

Overall the service sucked and was very indifferent. Food was average but compared to the Spanish flavours you would expect it was very bland. Beer was great.

Great place to come with a bunch of friends and drink beer but only if the food takes second place.

Ron S, Owner at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Although I'm glad our beer hit the spot, I'm sorry the rest of your experience was not so great.Our tapas are more contemporary than traditional, which may explain why they tasted different than those you had in Spain. That said, we hope our guests find our food bold and flavorful, and it's disappointing that we fell short with you. I'll let the kitchen know what you thought. They always appreciate honest feedback.

I also apologize for our service and will be sure to speak with my staff about picking up the pace. It's never too late for a training opportunity.

If you're ever back in San Francisco, I hope you'll stop by. We'd love to have you back for an improved experience.

All the best,

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went to San Francisco to sample beer at three breweries: Thirsty Bear, Rogue, and 21st Amendment. Of the three, I thought Thirsty Bear was the best. We went on a Monday at lunchtime and the restaurant was uncrowded, so we got great service. Our server, Betsy, was in training (so she had another waitress shadowing her to observe and help), but she seemed very competent, and what she didn't know, she was quick to find out. We had a sampler of all the beers, a small plate of Spanish cheese that came with a beer taster, two small plates (the Patatas and a the pollo al ajillo dish), and finally we split a smoked turkey sandwich (to soak up all the beer). The food was very good and so was the beer!

My favorite was the Panda Bear Ale, which is described as "A unique ale, lightly hopped and easy drinking, but “dry-hopped” with pounds of whole vanilla beans and now TCHO cocoa nibs to infuse the beer with flavor and provide an incredibly aromatic sensation." This beer was DIVINE, although not having been to the other breweries, I didn't have much to compare it too. After we went to the other breweries, we decided we wished we had time to go back to Thirsty Bear. If you are in the area, I definitely recommend this place.

Ron S, Owner at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thanks for stopping by! Great to hear you enjoyed our food and beer! The Panda Bear is indeed a unique beer! Thanks for your kind words and great review, we look forward to your next visit1