“Great location but ask to move if...”
Review of Hotel des Arts

Hotel des Arts
Ranked #140 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed in this hotel from 04/10 until 12/10 in 2013. It's a great hotel in a fabulous location but be prepared to move rooms - as we did - if you find bites on your body and specks of blood on your sheets. This is a perennial problem with any sort of hotel and to the management's credit, they were mortified and said we should have alerted them straightaway and moved us without any bother in to a room without bugs.
I'd stay again and would recommended it to others with a few caveats...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We booked Hotel des Arts in August for price and location but of course also because we were intrigued by the artwork rooms. We stayed in the 'Madonna' room for child appropriate art. Room atmosphere was very cool indeed, room was clean, bathroom needed updating. Hotel has artwork in the hallways, a charming narrow staircase and an old iron gate accordion elevator. This contributes to a unique atmosphere. Our room had its window out to a tiny courtyard which reflected all the noise coming from other rooms especially some partying youth above us. The front desk at least tried to get them to quiet down at 2am.
All together I'd recommend for people without kids that aren't bothered by some sub-par hotel features.

Room Tip: Look at the gallery of rooms on the hotel website and call the hotel to see what rooms are available...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I booked the Hotel Des Arts for two reasons; location and price. San Francisco is an expensive city for hotels, and it is also a city where location is crucially important. The Des Arts is in an excellent location; right at the gate to Chinatown and close to both Union Square and the Financial District. Actually, the location could not be better. It's perfect. The price was also attractive, substantially less than other hotels in the surrounding area, and competing in price with lower-grade chain 'motels' in the Tenderloin district. All good in the price department.

I was buoyed by the excellent reviews that the hotel has received on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, I failed to see why this hotel attracts such enthusiasm. Aside from the location, I did not particularly enjoy my stay. This was mainly due to the standard of the room itself. The 'artwork'; not a bad idea, and it is certainly not unpleasant to stay in a unique and individually designed room, however I could not shake the feeling that this whole concept is merely a method by which to avoid renovation costs. This was particularly evident in the bathroom, where a splash of brightly-coloured paint was not enough to mask the dated and vaguely depressing suite.

Another significant downside was the lack of air conditioning. I know this is common in San Francisco, but it was extremely warm during the night, and I feel that paying more for a hotel with air-con would be a good decision. Leaving the window open was an option, but the noise from the neighbouring Irish pub's open-air seating area was excessive.

The breakfast was fine, nothing more or less than I expected and there was always plenty of it. Another positive point to mention is the cleanliness - the place is generally spotless. All in all, I wasn't particularly impressed with this place and probably wouldn't stay again - unless it's for a very short time, and is very cheap. An average hotel and an average experience.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor room to put some distance between you and the pub next door.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed 9/7/13 - 9/9/13 in room 204 and it was infested with bed bugs. I woke up with bite marks the first night and the second night I had multiple bites. I visably saw the adult bugs around the room. I made attempts to contact the hotel manager with my complaint, but as of now, I've yet to receive a return call. I could deal with the quirkiness of the hotel for a couple of nights, but with bed bugs for $200+ a night. No way!!!!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank BRYAN H
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Located just down from the Chinese Gate and up from Union Square this centrally located hotel is a hidden gem if you are looking for something a bit different and on a budget. Individually decorated by local artists the room we had a was appealing and interesting - after a long flight from London we found ourselves exploring the artwork with renewed vigor when normally we would have flopped straight onto the bed. The entrance isn't much with a door and hallway to access an elevator to take you up to the reception and rooms, it feels more like a hostel than a hotel but don't let that put you off. The facts: squeaky clean, great decor, on the small side but with such a great city to explore we used it as a base to sleep, helpful staff (the BART was on strike when we arrived and they were very informative and helpful) and a small ensuite bathroom which was decorated in the same theme as the room and although tiny (the sink was in the room) it was clean and the shower worked perfectly, vending machines on the floor for snacks and drinks and a charming old iron elevator takes you up from the ground floor. The only thing that brought it down was that the breakfast room was a bit of a disappointment with no tables and an odd couple of plastic chairs but we grabbed a bagel and headed out the door most days and the other my partner was nice enough to pop down and bring me breakfast in bed! It reminded me of my days backpacking and was great as a base for exploring a fantastic city.

Room Tip: Have a good look at the designs of the rooms before and select a few favourites, they ask you to spe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The location of the Hotel is quite perfect close to the center and at 5 minutes by feet to busses and subway.We took a 4 person room and it was confortable enough. Maybe the bathroom was too a little too small.
Suggested for people who want to find central places without a huge cost.
The only thing we didn't like was breakfast. There is no room to sit and almost nothing to eat.. anyway there are a lot of nice places where to have breakfast near the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends