I'll start this by saying I would absolutely stay at Hotel des Arts again! It was very inexpensive (for SF), and couldn't be better located - Chinatown arch is literally across the street, close to Union Square and major BART and MUNI stops. The hotel was very cute, quite unlike anyplace I've ever stayed. Each room is an art installation, and it didn't disappoint. You have to be adventurous though - ours had quite a lot of clutter as part of the "art" and made it feel less than the sterile environment most people expect in a hotel. But we loved it! The bed was extremely comfortable - nice crisp linens. It was clearly an old building and felt like it, but this didn't bother me. I found the pull-grate-door elevator pretty cool. The staff was friendly, but our interactions were admittedly minimal. Finally, free wifi was appreciated.
- As others have complained on here, there was what sounded like heavy dumpsters being emptied and dropped in a back alley at night. 3:00 AM one night, and for about a half hour. Again the next night, but much briefer. There was no sleeping through it.
- No climate control. We had to sleep with the window open, which was perfect in the cool SF nights, but were forced to close it to shut out the noise. Temps were okay, but could be uncomfortable at another time of year.
- You will hear others showering and walking above you. It's an old building. None of this disturbed me - just be prepared. Having always lived in apartments, this is nothing new to me and none of the guests were wild or disrespectful when I was there.
- I ALWAYS see free breakfast as a plus because I really appreciate saving money on one meal each day of a vacation - it adds up! However, it is really bare-bones so just be prepared. Many will opt for eating out anyway (plenty of cafes and inexpensive Chinese bakeries close by), but still I appreciated having the free option.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel des Arts is at the crossroads of Union Square, the Financial District and the Chinatown Gate; perfect for business or pleasure. The Hotel des Arts presents the contemporary work of local artists complemented by the neutral simplicity, modern lightings and clean lines of the hotel furnishings. The result is art as an interactive experience rather than just decoration. Enjoy our complementary continental breakfast or dine in Le Central, a French Brasserie right downstairs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel des Arts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Des Arts Hotel
- Des Arts San Francisco