“I can't possibly complain”
Review of Hotel des Arts

Hotel des Arts
Ranked #140 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I normally stay at normal hotels for business trips, but it was just way outside the budget this time. Because I'm staying for a few days at the end for myself too, I figured I'd just pick one hotel that was reasonably priced. I admit I was nervous as I approached the hotel.

The building's old, and the windows are thin. It's loud sometimes, but not nearly as loud as other posters have said. It's also 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of any other hotel in the area. You get what you pay for -- and here, I think you get a little more.

Breakfast is reasonable, just bagels and muffins. The WiFi is extremely fast -- I've stayed at much more expensive hotels that had WiFi that felt like AOL dial-up circa 1990. Room was extremely clean and simple. Not too small.

The bathroom was only a few steps out the door of my room.

I only have two small complaints -- the elevator is rickety and old I half expected to plunge to my death, and the water pressure on the 5th floor made for mediocre showers. But, for the price, I think it was expected that it wouldn't be luxurious.

TL;DR: It's not a cardboard box under a bridge. Fast WiFi.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank berlinflyer83

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Stayed here in June, 2012, with my girlfriend. Located near Chinatown and Union Square. We stayed in one of the artists rooms, with a bathroom. Hotel was clean and fairly quiet.

One thing that stood out was the exceptional wi-fi here. It was as fast as my home DSL connection. At most hotels I've stayed at, the wi-fi is frustratingly slow, but Hotel des Arts hired the right people to install their Internet!

The hotel is near a bunch of nice restaurants and close to the Montgomery BART station.

I would stay here again!

Room Tip: I would try to book a room away from the alley. We were woken up in the early morning by a crazy ho...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank triiiangle
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I had brought a group of the students I work with here as well as colleagues. We stayed here for two nights, we had a block of private rooms and two suites. Therefore, we got to see lots of great artwork inside the rooms.

The beds were super comfortable and private rooms came with a little refrigerator. The suites came with fridge and microwave and had access to fire escapes.

They offer free continental breakfast which was adequate and sufficient, nothing fancy though just bagels, toast, fruit, muffins, and coffee/tea/juices.

We all enjoyed staying here and would love to come back in the near future!

Room Tip: request specific rooms to stay in when making reservations. the peacock room is very nice. don't...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I really, really wanted to love this hotel. Honestly, I was really rooting for Hotel Des Arts to come up trumps. But it didn't, what a shame. There's such great potential too.

We stayed in room 503 on the top floor. It was one of the painted rooms and was really cool and quirky. When I opened the door I was sooo pleased - a lovely big, comfy queen bed, a sink, desk, telly and cupboard, as well as some beautiful paintings of a mermaid on the wall.

We had a shared bathroom and I thought this would be an issue too initially - how wrong I was. It was 2 seconds down the hall and in one week the shower was only in use once. For the amount of money we saved, one busy shower in a week was fine for me.

Unfortunately though, the noise was just unbearable. Our room was right next to a restaurant next door with the loudest air conditioning unit known to mankind. Every night when we went to sleep it was like having a drill going into the side of our brains. It was just awful. Even with earplugs screwed in it still didn't drown the sound out completely. The only reason we slept at all was because we were SO tired every night from sightseeing.

The other problem was the heat of the room. There was no fan or A/C and we couldn't open the window because of the terrible noise from outside. Yikes, it was so hot at night.

Kind of gutted really - the hotel couldn't move us to another room because it was fully booked. It should have been such a great stay but it was just so average because of the noise and heat.

On the plus side, it's VERY cheap and smack bang in the centre of town. I think it depends what you want to get from the place. We dealt with the noise and heat to save a packet and be in the centre of it all. There was also free wifi and a free breakfast every morning.

Would I stay there again? Perhaps - but I'd need to be on the other side of the hotel away from the A/C unit next door!

2  Thank clairescottish
Reviewed April 28, 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank jenna m
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Some of the rooms are beautiful. Unfortunately I got stuck in one of the rooms done in graffiti "art," which looked more like that room you see in the movie when the police finally find where the serial killer lives. Difficult to be comfortable there. However -- the location and price were great, staff was wonderful, and I would stay there again for a personal trip, just not a business trip. The old-style elevator was a little difficult to maneuver luggage into, but other modern amenities like free wi-fi and continental breakfast were great.

Room Tip: You may want to request a non-shared bath if that is important to you. Also recommend checking out...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank skolding
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Fantastic unique hotel in a great location. Very short walk to Chinatown, metro and downtown. Room itself was very comfortable with a lovely bed (made getting up difficult!), large flat screen TV and ensuite. Room was decorated in a very unique style and the styling of the hotel overall makes it a memorable stay. Breakfast was a bonus with great bagels, fruit and muffins. Loved being able to take it back to our room to eat. Would definitely recommend Hotel des Arts.