“good location and original hotel”
Review of Hotel des Arts

Hotel des Arts
Ranked #135 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Roma
“good location and original hotel”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

The rooms are each hand-painted in an original and modern. The only flaw is some hotel rooms overlook the street at night where unfortunately we do not sleep well because of the noise of the garbage truck ... In any case I would recommend to a friend. Alternative hotel, cheap and very special and different from the usual hotel!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Hotel des Arts is San Francisco funk-a-delic! We loved it. We really enjoyed all the art work. The rooms are "European" (smallish), but comfortable. It's not plush, but makes you feel like you're staying in an authentic SF apartment. Just a few steps to Chinatown. Many nearby good restaurants and great shopping. Near enough to subway stops. We are a family of 5 -- kids ages 9, 8, & 5. We had a suite and the room was comfortable. Smaller than we are used to but fun & quaint. No frills, but had lots of fun. We were there for 7 nights and would book it again if we return. Good deal for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room to get away from the street noise. But note - there are narrow stairs and the...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Betsy429
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Three of us decided to plan a girl's weekend in San Francisco and one in our group discovered this gem. We had a blast!
The room itself is quite large in comparison to a standard hotel room. We booked a suite. The bedroom had a queen bed while the main room had a futon. The bathroom was small but functional. Wireless is free and the room comes with a refrigerator, hair dryer and iron. There are more outlets than I would have thought due to the age of the building.
We had no problem locating the hotel and the location can't be beat--Chinatown right across the street, nightlife practically right outside the window. You can get to the trolleys easily from here and there were times we just walked to the harbor area because we felt like it.
Entrance to the hotel is via a smallish elevator or steep stairway. Upon entrance you see the eclectic decoration that the hotel is known for. Check in was easy and quick. The rooms even have the old school keys instead of magnetic credit cards! I don't remember the room having air conditioning, but the temps were reasonable. We tried sleeping with the windows open and were awakened during the night by the garbage truck as well as a man who was very obviously upset with a woman. If you are looking for a room with a view, you should try somewhere else. However, we wanted to be downtown and found the extra noise just part of the things we could joke about later.
The bed itself was OK, but the futon (we each took our turn on the futon one night) was lumpy and didn't lend itself to comfort.
A continental breakfast was available but it was sparse. We ended up going to one of the little bistros down the road. There is also a Starbucks nearby.
I would stay here again and book earlier to try to get a different room. Not because I didn't enjoy the room we did have, but to be able to check out the painting in other rooms. The cost was high, but we felt that we would pay that in cab fare if we stayed outside the city. The convenience and time savings was well worth it.

Room Tip: You can view the website and check out all the rooms before you book.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Three of my friends and I had been staying in San Fran for a girls weekend. I decided to stay on an extra couple of days on my own, and booked myself into the Hotel des Arts. I'm a huge art fan, so the opportunity to stay at an 'art hotel' was intriguing to me.

The minute you enter the hotel, you can tell it has a funky, relaxed vibe. A wide variety of murals and prints adorn the hallways and reception area. Upon my arrival, I found my room was not yet ready, but the two young men at the front desk were very nice and agreed to store my luggage for me, while I went off to explore the city. I didn't get back to the hotel until very late at night but the staff members remembered me immediately and retrieved my luggage for me and ensured I had everything I needed for the night, which was much appreciated. The stairs up to the rooms are very narrow and curved, and there is also a small old-fashioned elevator to help ferry your luggage.

I can't recall the name of my room, but I enjoyed the graphic artwork on the walls. My room looked onto a small courtyard, which featured more murals painted on the brick walls. Rooms are small but well-appointed, with great attention to detail. For those people not accustomed to staying in older hotels, the sink area is separate from the shower area, which featured a clawfoot tub and eco-friendly Gilchrist and Soames bath products. Shower pressure was definitely on the weak side, but again, old hotels often have temperamental plumbing. The bath linens were soft and fluffy and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have had the pleasure of sleeping in at a hotel.

The location of the hotel was great-directly across from Chinatown and within easy walking distance to the financial district and Union Square. I found the area a bit seedy at night, but never felt unsafe walking alone. Parking is virutally non-existent around the hotel, but for $26 a night, the hotel has an arrangement with a nearby parking garage with in and out privileges. There are two Starbucks within a block or two, as well as Cafe de Presse, which serves up an excellent breakfast.

My only real complaint with the hotel was when I was checking out and went to retrieve my car from the parking garage and pull it up to the hotel to load my luggage (which was filled with cases of wine from Napa) and I noticed that the white zone the staff had told me to unload at the previous day now said it was a no-parking zone. I ran up to ask the girl at the front desk where I could park instead, but she was exceedingly rude, told me I was an idiot for getting my car before I got my luggage and yelled at me to get my bags as fast as I could. I was a little taken aback by her rudeness, as I am not a local and don't know the intricacies of San Francisco parking. Brushing up on her customer service might be a good idea!

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel des Arts. It's a unique place with interesting guests at an affordable price and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: You can request your top three rooms when you make your reservation, although the hotel does not gua...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Manchester
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Loved this hotel - stayed here for two nights. Rooms were comfy and the art in the rooms was amazing. Kept finding little bits of art in the room that we didn't spot when we first arrived. Staff were friendly and gave great advice on where to go and what to do. Breakfast was muffins and croissants, basic but nice. We had a shared bathroom which wasn't great but for this price and this location nothing to grumble about...

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Interesting hotel, but the room we had had a large mirror on the wall in front of the bed. We noticed the blinds did not close all the way on the sides becuase of the way they were installed, and just about anyone in the rooms to the side of us (our room was situated in a court yard style setting), could look in and see the room where the angle of the mirror was. We ended up hanging a sheet on the side of the blinds. The staff was OK, not much spectacular. We had a room change for various reasons, and the person at the desk didn't understand what to do with our luggage, if we should keep it in the room or relocate it. Once we agreed to leave it in the room, we were told to take our luggage to the room, being the room where breakfast was being served. Confusing to say the least. Definetly go for the suite since the regular rooms are very small and cramped.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The location is great - across the street from the entrance to Chinatown - and the staff is friendly, but we ended up paying the same as we would have for a "real" hotel room. The room was minuscule and the bathroom may be the smallest thing I've ever seen outside of a NYC apartment. Although, now that I think about it, the elevator was also Lilliputian. My husband and I laughed it off but this was definitely not what we intended or wanted. We are in our late 30s and we felt, well, old in this stylishly rundown youth hostel. Yep, they may call it a hotel but it honestly is a youth hostel. For $20 more we could've stayed elsewhere. There were tons of backpackers.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple