“a great taste of Italy”
Review of Allegro Romano

Allegro Romano
Reserve with OpenTable
Allegro Romano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #564 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Reviewed December 29, 2008

Someone in our hotel recommended Allegro Romano for good Italian food on Nobb Hill. Their menu is excellent, as was the food. Add to that attentive service (the owner served us, and treated us to some bruschetta and port on the house!), a cozy atmoshpere and VERY reasonable prices, and you can't go wrong with this one.

1  Thank Tino1976

Reviewed July 20, 2008

Our hotel suggested we might enjoy going to Allegro. It was an experience I was glad we had! Be forwarned, Allegro Romano is TINY...I counted about room for 44 people, give or take a few. It is a long, narrow restaurant with booth seating on both sides with chairs opposite the booth chairs. A few tables are scattered between the two sides and that is it.

Dinner was FABULOUS. Our beginning choices were the ensalada de campo (a light mixed green salad, perfect!) and my husband ordered the ensalada caprese. One thing we did note around the SF area...the caprese salads often had tomatoes that were not as beautiful and ripe as we might have liked. I guess it is just too cool to grow tomatoes nearby, but we were surprised that some of our restaurants really did not have very nice tomatoes. Main dishes were the gnocchi alla gorgonzola and a pasta dish with fresh lobster. The gnocchi were light and delicate and the blue cheese flavor of the gorgonzola were not overwhelming. My husband's pasta was served with a small lobster tail and claw on top. Both meals were extremely good.

We left our wine choice up to Lorenzo, the flamboyant Italian in all red that evening, who orchestrated all of the happenings. Wine was a superb match to the food (I had red, hubby had a white) nice and dry.

Lorenzo hooked us up with a ride home, too. "Tony" drives an area limosine and apparently comes to eat at Allegro. He happened to be out front and when we asked for a cab, Lorenzo offered up Tony as a ride. Fun! (we did "tip" Tony $20 for the lift!)

If you want to feel like you are in a little piece of Italy, where the waitstaff and Lorenzo throw Italian around at each other and the food is great...check it out! You can check their website...www.allegroromano.com for info. (Reasonable prices... $$)

1  Thank texbell
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 11, 2008

this place is amazing. so rich, so delcious, i really think my taste buds and my wallet can take one visit a year, but you can't miss it!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 7, 2008

The food is terrific, I haven't had better service, and the place is really cute.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Because I've read many positive reviews we had to try this place. We came another time but after 1 hour couldn't find a parking spot. This is not the restaurant's fault. We live in the Bay Area but not SF. We arrive at 4:45 because web site said they opened at 5pm. It was cold & windy & were told they opened at 5:30. I did not call this to their attention. Had time to look at menu on window outside. Went to car and sat for 1/2 hour. It might have been a nice gesture to have been invited in out of the cold. My review now is, perhaps, different. The FOOD WAS EXCELLENT and not necessary to mention what we had . First the menu on the window, a piece of paper that could be removed, had "Osso Buco" on it but I was told they didn't have it. That's fine! My beef is different. Good restaurant experiences now are more than the food. Having lived in Buenos Aires I'm fluent in Spanish & enjoyed talking with my waiter & bus persons in Spanish but I am of Italian decent and as my Grandparents & Parents are born in Italy, I am fluent in Italian. I loved listening to Andrea Bocelli but I would also have enjoyed speaking some Italian with the one Italian wandering the dining area among all the Latins. He went outside frequently on his cell phone. He knew I was Italian as I had asked him earlier in Italian when they opened. Never came to the table to ask how everything was. Maybe he had something serious on his mind-we all do on occasion! I would guess because of the difficulty parking that many customers are local and a few are tourists who come by cab recommended by hotels and , maybe, are one time customers. We, although we don't live in SF, are relatively local and could be repeat customers liking more than the food but also a complete wonderful dining experience. Complimentary Bruschetta ??? Not for us!!! I read in one review about continuous pours of complimentary port wine & some biscotti-"niente", nothing! I can see if there is a need for a table but there were empty spots. I will not say anything more derogatory about this place but, unfortunately, because food is good as recommended in other reviews , will not be back as there are quite a few places in North Beach & will not mention names but the Italian personnel are much more friendly to their "Paisani". Again, the food is molto buono so if you don't care about speaking Italian, this is a great spot!!!

3  Thank Guaglione