“Quick pick-me-up with pizza”
Review of Escape From New York Pizza - CLOSED

Escape From New York Pizza
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: The Castro
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I always like walking into Escape for a quick and affordable slice of thin pizza. Basic pepperoni is always a winner, as are the pesto slices. If the pie is not right out of the oven they re-bake it for a bit to re-heat it. I've learned to ask them not to put it in the oven for their full-length of time because it gets too HOT (read: burns the roof of your mouth). Not many places to sit if the place is full - this is the only down-side of this pizzeria.

There are newer reviews for Escape From New York Pizza

Reviewed November 10, 2012

It's really good pizza by the slice. Huge slice by the way. Crust was crispy, sauce tangy and toppings balanced. The setting might not be for everyone.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

You can find better quality without much effort. The crust is indelible, the tomato is never cooked enough and the mushrooms are not of the best brand. Portions are quite huge though

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Fantastic weekend ending with a horrible experience at this pizza place. I can't really understand the good reviews here, what a nasty negative bunch of employees. I was visiting the city and on my way to the airport my friend took me to this place for a quick slice. When I went in, I asked for 2 slices of pizza with extra sauce. As I watched him place the pizza in the oven, I asked him if he could put the extra sauce on the pizza before he warmed it up. He said no? He said he could give it to me on the side. I asked him if on the side meant that it would be cold extra sauce, and he said yes. I pointed out that putting cold sauce on a hot pizza wouldn't be not so great. Then, with a smile on his face, he tells me "he isn't allowed or doesn't have permission to put extra sauce on a pizza." This got a good giggle from the other guys working behind the counter. Since I've been eating pizza for most of my life, I have never heard this before. Now, if I asked for more pepperoni or cheese, I would have of course gotten it on the pizza before it went in. That's just common sense. So to gleefully speak to me like I was an idiot was unacceptable. I was stunned. I always thought it was a compliment to a pizza parlor for someone to ask for extra sauce? All the guys were smiling and giggling at how funny it was too put me in my place for asking for extra sauce. To add insult to injury, the guy tells me he can take the cold tiny plastic container and place it on top of the stove and "maybe" the bottom sauce in the plastic container would warm up. Again, San Francisco had been so warm and friendly; I just wasn't prepared for such unfriendly service. After the pizza was done, he took it around the corner out of site with some of the other guys who worked there, then reappeared with it in a bag... so, I left the store with my spit on, or God knows what put on it, while they came out of the store and watched my walk across the street. I didn't want to give them the satisfaction of eating some spit or trashed on pizza, so I just threw it in the garbage. My money wasted and food wasted. I wouldn't even give it to a homeless person, as no one should have their food spit on. I couldn't understand why they went out of the way to make my experience so horrible, but I received the message LOUD & CLEAR. Not only will I never go there, but also I plan to share my experience with everyone I know so they can avoid this place.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Good, simple pizza. I like the thin crust. This place is favorited by many young drunks.