“Tasty and proper!”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Haight-Ashbury
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Known for their 'scrams' which is basically scrambled eggs mixed with a whole variety of things! My fav being the 'haight scram'. That's not all though, a range of French toast with fruit and bagels also fill the breakfast menu! Also on offer, proper coffee which is a relief! :)

A definite place to check out for breakfast and don't be put off by the queues as it is always busy!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We ate as a three cafes in the Haight and this was the best. Strong on pancakes and waffles for the children ( the favourite with berries bananas and nutella). Mrs M had a bagel full of cream cheese and vegetables and I had the lox scram - scrambled eggs, spring onion, capers, with wonderfully grease free hask browns and wholewheat toast. Another time we shared cornbeef hash with the hash B's on the side which was also not greasy. the portions are not as excessive as in other cafes but the food quality was high. Great selection if teas, weaker on coffee ( but US cafes are) good freshish juices - the grapefruit was the best. We sat outside on a sunny day. On saturday it was packed which suggests a loyal local clientelle. Welcoming attentive counter staff. Not as pricey assome others but several levels above a greasy spoon.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

This place was recommended by staff from our nearby hotel. We went for breakfast, and I have to say that it was the nicest breakfast I've ever had. This was a pleasant surprise, as I'm such a fussy eater. I kept it quite simple, due to my fussiness, and I chose the French toast with mixed fruit. It was light, tasty, and not at all greasy. The staff were friendly and approachable, and the place had a nice relaxed vibe. It was so good, that we're going again tomorrow : )

1  Thank HOLABALU
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I've only had breakfast here, but each time it has been top notch, so I wouldn't hesitate trying it for lunch or dinner. Fresh, delicious food and friendly service make it a delightful spot to relax. Sitting on the outdoor patio gives one the opportunity for good people watching!

Reviewed September 22, 2011

The Grind Cafe is a friendly, bustling place in Lower Haight. We had breakfast there our first morning in SFO during a return visit. Last trip we frequented Kate's Country Kitchen a little farther down the street, but we wanted to go to different spots this time around.

You walk inside to the clean and woody (kind of noisy) atmosphere and choose from the menu boards hanging overhead, then order, pay the friendly cashier, and then go someplace else to wait. We told her we wanted to sit at an outside table as the morning was so sunny, and she said that the food would be brought right out to us.

For $20 or so we got granola and coffee, and eggs/ham/hash browns/toast and coffee and a couple of glasses of tap; not a bad deal but hardly a bargain. This is kind of an expensive town.

The quality was pretty good, however, and the friendly server brought our order to the outdoor area where we had staked our claim in order to watch life's passing parade. Food was brought promptly and everything that should be hot, was hot.

The people we watched on the sidewalk seemed to be slightly heavy on street folks and homeless at that earlyish hour (09:00), which is not really conducive to good digestion, not to mention the feelings of guilt that often accompany sightings of young and down-on-their-luck fellow humans. There are lots of homeless in the major cities in California, and a large number hang out in Lower Haight, too.

The combination of leftover food, al fresco, an abundance of homeless people, and a paucity of bus-persons could not be good for business, in the long term.... and that prompted a reflection. It seemed to me, as this latest visit progressed, that many young waiter/bus-person types in SFO would rather be doing something else than actually busing tables. Maybe working on a thesis, or thinking about the music they will play later on, or cooking up plot twists for their novel in progress. Maybe it's just San Francisco time, Daddy-o. Perhaps it's just West Coast Mell-oh. I'm from the East, where everybody is always in a hurry. Faster than a New York Minute. Whatever... it's vacation time.

Still, cleanup is often s-l-o-w in SFO... tables are left un-bused for long periods, even as new customers are walking in looking for places to sit.

So... A fairly large collection of dishes at the Grind Cafe was accumulating on nearby tables as diners finished and then left. I saw: uneaten scrambled eggs, bits of bacon, scads of like-new toast, juice leftovers, etc.... very tempting leftovers for a hungry passerby. I wondered if occasionally one of the street people would stop and grift something from a platter. Why not? It was trash anyway by this stage... Nobody did, though.

Perhaps there is, shall we say, an understanding between street people and restaurant management. Maybe something on the order of..."if you come to the back door after 11:00, I will give you a bag of tasty leftovers: but try and snatch something in front of the paying customers and that's all for you."

I don't know. I just thought that if there was an area where improvement was needed, this was it.

Apart from that, breakfast was perfectly peachy.