“They seem too desperate for money”
Review of Shai Lai Seafood Restaurant - CLOSED

Shai Lai Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
San Francisco, California
“They seem too desperate for money”
Reviewed March 2, 2010

After a long absence I returned for dim sum.

The GOOD...the soup, pea shoots with tofu skins & ginkgo biloba was really good & seemed healthy...the sticky rice in lotus leaf with minced chicken was delicious without being greasy since they did not add any of those awful sausages.

The BAD...the salt & pepper rock cod fillet was fresh but the batter was far too thick and relatively tasteless and frying oil leaked in between the batter and the fillet, gross...they charged us $1 each for tea even though we just had hot water, that comes off like they are really desperate for money. To remedy this bogus fee just include it as part of the tip to let them know you need money too!

As the salt & pepper fish fillet was easily the worst I have had in years and the bogus fee really turned me off I will not return here in the near future. Nor would I recommend this place to friends.

“selective service”
Reviewed February 13, 2010

This restaurant is always packed which must speak volumes for the food. Unfortunately I never got to try it. When I arrived, on my own, I asked for a table for one. "Take-away" exclaimed the hostess. "No, I`d like a table for one please". "Long time maybe 1 hr" she remarked. Meanwhile a chinese couple arrived looking for a table of 2. They were sat waiting in the reception area. there was a large table, probably about a 12 top, completley empty, which they clearly didn`t wish to offer any small group, and certainly not one. I opted to drink a beer at the small dispense bar and thourughfare, waiting to be accomodated for my request for a table. The barmaid said "take away". This was beginning to become a familiar phrase in the restaurants lack of will to sit me at a table. I glanced over 5 minutes later, horrified that the hostess was seating the chinese couple that arrived after me at the 12 top. I paid for my beer and left extremely disatisfied at the code of ethics employed by this restaurant and hungry.

1 Thank upstairsforthinking
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I actually had my bday party here. LOL Mayflower makes the best Wuxi sparerib. I had it in Wuxi and it wasn't half as...”
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I actually had my bday party here. LOL Mayflower makes the best Wuxi sparerib. I had it in Wuxi and it wasn't half as good.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
San Francisco, California
“Pretty good dimsum in the city. MUCH better than Chinatown”
Reviewed January 10, 2009

Pretty good dimsum in the city. MUCH better than Chinatown

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“One of the best restaurants to eat at in the Richmond District.”
Reviewed July 10, 2008

One of the best restaurants to eat at in the Richmond District.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook