“try the beer, skip the food”

Beach Chalet Brewery and Restaurant
Ranked #437 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Golden Gate Park
Cross street: Lincoln & Fulton Sts.
Transit: The 5 Fulton stops at La Playa/Ocean Beach, just a few feet down the road, at the end of its line. The N Judah comes close at the end of its line and one can either walk or catch the 18 Bus that stops right in front of the restaurant.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Great location, worth paying for some happy hour homebrew beer, or some tea and dessert by a window overlooking the Pacific Ocean at the edge of Golden Gate Park. Check out the WPA murals and interesting architectural features.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

This place is sad and its humble beginnings involving me were about the VFW and their annual "santa presence" with presents for kids back in the 1960s. I have fond memories from that period nearly sixty years ago.

Fast forward to about 20 years ago - we had a tour while work was still progressing to remodel the place just enough so that a restaurant could move in, preserve the WPA era art that adorns the downstair entrance-way, and maybe make some money for the city. The plans looked great.

When they finally opened, they had a nice Brew Pub and Restaurant. They were doing everything right. We enjoyed the people; atmosphere; food; and would look forward to finding any excuse to eat here for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as for live music. Then it seemed that management started firing the very waiters we enjoyed seeing. New, inexperienced (and younger) workers appeared and soon disappeared. When the Cliff House reopened, we basically never came back here unless we were forced by others who insisted on eating here. Last week was one of those times.

Our waiter was very friendly, and since the room was largely empty, we had a great window view. I had the chicken and my wife had the "lifeless burger". My chicken with chorizo was tasty, but the chicken skin was not crisp, and the chorizo hash was tasty but unappealing to look at. I drank coffee and the wife had iced-tea (we've had their great beers other times). The view never fails to give one hundred percent - as did the great waiter. But the food - it still takes way to long for the kitchen to turn out food - even when the restaurant is empty. And the quality is so-so. Gone are the brilliant days when they experimented with things like nachos with steak and other items that had us coming back for more.

The Willis Polk designed building is not haunted or cursed as far as I know, and the only thing that's wrong with this place is management. Somehow these people shame the history of the place. I'm glad its still opened, but will not be going back unless forced, or if we see better reviews about the place that seem to only back up our experiences of the last decade. The downstairs eating place is a bit better, but I'd rather spend my money at Louis' or Cliff House, where we get both great food and great service (with a fantastic view).

Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Probably the worst food during our entire San Fran trip. There isn't a great number of options in the area, but I would highly recommend finding somewhere else. The view is the only positive thing about it!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

The family had to dine out this Thanksgiving and we chose the Beach Chalet. Although it was a busy night and we couldn't get a reservation before 7:30, we easily found seats at the bar to wait for our table. A pager was provided so we didn't have to worry about missing a call. Reservations were for a party of 7 but 2 dropped out and an instant adjustment was made as we were seated. Service was friendly, attentive and prompt. While the majority of our party ordered the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, five other main dish choices were available. Both the soup and salad options were delicious and set the stage for the remainder of the meal. My wife had the salmon which she said was the best she had ever eaten in a restaurant. All elements of the Thanksgiving menu of turkey, stuffing, potatoes, etc., were moist and flavorful. My concern that the kitchen might run out of certain menu items due to our arriving at the end of the serving period was unfounded. For dessert the pumpkin pie tarts were mildly disappointing compared to everything else we had. Nonetheless, the location is superb, the waitstaff professional and accommodating, and the food memorable. The evening was thoroughly enjoyed by all.

Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

The view was great but that's where it endscocktails were over priced order a Ramos Fizz it was BLAHHH  Food was Average not what you would expect from a place like this  We had Fish & Chips it was burnt also had Crab Louie and it

was the worst crab Louie I have ever had also had Sea food pasta also BLAHHH The server was also BLAHHH no personality had to ask for everything Manager ask how everything was we told her it was not so good she just LAUGHED So in my opinion PASS ON THE BEACH CHALETEat at the Cliff House