“Nice spa in the City”
Review of Nob Hill Spa

Nob Hill Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Scarlet Huntington and Nob Hill Spa offers a welcoming atmosphere in the midst of San Francisco's upscale Nob Hill neighborhood. Originally constructed in 1924 as a high-end apartment building, the family owned and operated property houses 136 contemporary-style guestrooms and suites. The 11,000-square-foot (1,021 square meters) Nob Hill Spa features an indoor infinity-edge pool with floor-to-ceiling windows offering far-reaching views of downtown San Francisco, a fireside lounge, and steam and sauna rooms. The spa's extensive services reflect the four founding cultures of San Francisco - Chinese, Italian, Japanese, and Victorian - and include a variety of holistic and Ayurvedic treatments, as well as beauty and relaxation treatments influenced by diverse healing traditions. Signature offerings include the Nob Hill Spa Ultimate Massage and the Nob Hill Spa Ultimate Facial. Contemporary American spa cuisine is available poolside form the award-winning Big 4 restaurant. The city's famous cable cars stop just outside the hotel entrance to transport guests throughout the area. In addition, complimentary chauffeur service is also available for guests whose itinerary includes the financial district or the well-known Union Square shopping district. The hotel is also in close proximity to some of the city's well-known landmarks such as the Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, and the Embarcadero.
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I booked couples massage here on the day we were flying back to the east coast. We had a redeye flight, so it was a nice place to come and be able to spend the entire day after checking out of our hotel. The spa area as a whole was really nice. The women’s area was nice, a little small, but had everything you’d need as far as typical spa dressing room stuff – lockers, robes, flip flops, towels, hairdryers, soaps, shampoo, etc. There was also a steam room and sauna. The massage we got together was good, and the room we had it in was fine. There is also a nice pool, hot tub, and sitting area that is part of the spa. You can order food and drinks even if you aren’t staying at the connected hotel. There is also a small balcony outside with a few sun chairs which overlooks some of the city. As far as price for the massage, I thought it was typical of most places you’d go (at least out East). The food and drinks we ordered were a little expensive, but it was worth it to be able to relax on the outside balcony sipping on a glass of wine! Last thing, parking. There is a garage next door which you can get a discount on parking at if you are at the spa for less than 3 hours. I think it was $15 with the voucher, and $30 without.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Had a wonderful experience at this spa! A friend and I were in town for 5 days and chose our "spa" day right in the middle of the week. We had noon massage appointments. We were advised to arrive early and were led to the changing area where we slipped into the greatest robes! We then went and waited by the pool until we were summoned by our masseurs. Stacey was absolutley amazing and left me feeling like a wet noodle! She worked out every knot on my body! After our services we enjoyed the steam room which was amazing! We were staying at the Mark Hopkins which does not have a spa and this was about as close to having one on site as you can get! VERY short walk! Would highly recommend this spa...and Stacey!! Magic hands!!

1  Thank Redrock757
Reviewed October 13, 2007

My wife and I really enjoyed this spa. We thought it had the best facilities in San Francisco compared to International Orange, Elizabeth Arden, & the Kabuki. I got a great massage from Danette. We went on a Sunday and there wasn't enough room to sit on the balcony, but there was more than enough room in the pool & hot tub. Definitely the best spa in the city since most city spas don't have enough facilities.

Reviewed October 8, 2007

I have to start by saying that I had the best massage I have ever had at the Nob Hill Spa.

My complaint about this place was the lack of space. We visited on a Saturday and it was just too crowded. They should keep the serenity of the spa by limiting the number of visitors. The outside deck overlooking San Francisco was crowded, the pool chairs were all full, the sauna and steam rooms were busy and the changing area was so crowded that I had to change in the bathroom stall. There are only two mirrors for drying hair and makeup so it gets really cramped.

I felt like I lost the relaxation of my treatment immediately when fighting for space in the locker room.

The locker room and shower area definitely could be updated and redone. The pool area and deck are beautiful, again they are just too small for the number of spa guests.

I would recommend a weekday visit or find another location for a weekend spa day.

1  Thank sdbtrflygrl
Reviewed March 13, 2007

I visited on a weekday and had near private access to the spa. The amenities include an indoor pool and hot tub, sauna, steam room, fitness room, and sun deck.

The locker room amenities (changing area, showers, sauna and steam room) could use some updating; they aren't as luxurious as the rest, but overall the spa--on a weekday--was peaceful and a joy to visit.

For more information and photos, visit my (non-commercial) site Bay Area Love Letters and look under the "Recreation" category.

You can read more about this spa at http://bayarealoveletters.blogspot.com/2007/03/recreation-local-spas-offer-varying.html

4  Thank BayAreaLoveLetters