Book In Advance
More Information

Ways to Experience All About Chinatown Tours
from $75.00
More Info
All reviews dim sum lunch own experiences excellent tour informative tour private tour small group history interests sf
Selected filters
Reviewed June 5, 2016

This is a wonderful trip and excellent value! Linda Lee grew up in Chinatown San Francisco and has a perspective that is valuable and educational. Wonderful sense of humor, excellent presentation and the dim sum lunch YUMMY! I took a group of 7th grade Girl Scouts with three adults and every one of them was happy we took the time for this event. Don't think twice - add it onto your itinerary! It is a walking tour so those who cannot stand for long period might have an issue. I had a broken foot in a cast so I did leave the tour part about 30 minutes early and waited at the restaurant, but I had been walking all around San Francisco for some days beforehand, so that was probably more to blame. I saw a review that said this tour had little historical info, etc. and I can only believe they mixed up this tour with a different one, because this tour was filled with historical perspectives and information, including visual drawings and photographs of what Chinatown was in the beginning compared with present day.

Date of experience: June 2016
Reviewed May 24, 2016

This was an awesome field trip! I took about 20 middle school (7th and 8th grade) students on a tour of Chinatown. The tour was the perfect length to hold their interest (1.5 hours). We made a great number of stops and saw a wide array of sites including murals, a temple, the fortune cookie factory, and many shops. Our tour guide, Alan Fong, was fantastic. He told us many interesting facts and personal details about his own life. I learned SO much on this tour and I am sure my students did as well. He was a perfect tour guide!

Date of experience: May 2016
Linda L, Owner at All About Chinatown Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your visit.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your tour with Alan Fong. He is a perfect host to showcase Chinatown's culture and history with his extensive knowledge along with his personal experiences as a native of Chinatown. It's a challenge to teach and entertain middle school students but Alan does it because he is an exceptional tour guide.

Reviewed May 11, 2016

I always try to purchase a guided tour when traveling because you get so much more information and context than just looking and walking around on your own. Ms. Linda's tour was an amazing experience. My 11 and 6 year just loved the tour and Ms. Linda. She is very kid friendly. She took our small group to places that we would have never ventured or known about on our own:

~Fortune Cookie Shop-small shop in a back alley. We briefly stayed and watched them being made and purchased a few bags for snacks.
~Pharmacy-got to walk through and look at the way eastern medicine does it...pharmacist filling prescriptions from drawers filled with dried plants and animal parts. Very interesting.
~small Buddhist Temple
~China Town grocery-now this is still the talk in our family. Definitely old world. Actually felt lucky to experience this.... even though it is not for squeamish people.
~Lunch at restaurant in China Town-Ms. Linda set the group up and we had a wonderful lunch.

Not your typical bus tour. Your are walking the busy streets amongst the people in China Town. Highly recommend!

Date of experience: July 2015
Reviewed May 7, 2016

Not worth the time or money. Boring stops. Guide gave very little historical info. Walked through a couple of alleys. Walked through a grocery store. Given little info. Very disappointing.

Date of experience: May 2016
Linda L, Owner at All About Chinatown Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write us with your honest feedback.

On every tour, we start with information about how and why the Chinese came to America, and what Chinatown is like today as a community.
Next are visits to an herbal pharmacy, a historic landmark known for its unique business and architecture, and then wind through several alleys to view private clubs off the beaten track and highlight their significance for the early Chinese pioneers. We include a visit to a historic landmark which houses a civil rights organization that started in the late 1800’s and a Chinese language school. Included on every tour is a stroll through the Stockton St. food markets, a visit to a secluded temple, and a stop to witness the making and tasting of fortune cookies.

We hope that these stops introduce visitors to the history and culture of San Francisco’s Chinatown. We are sorry that our tour did not meet your expectations. At the end of the tour, we give a handout of places to shop and eat, which includes a recommendation to visit the Chinese Historical Society of America Museum. Their exhibits engage visitors to learn more about the history with photographs, artifacts, and panels of detailed information.

We hope you’ll come back to explore Chinatown again, a neighborhood of 40 alleys with a history of 160 years in the making.

Reviewed May 3, 2016

I had taken Linda's tour with both my kids classes from Edna Maguire Elementary School in Mill Valley. She made the tour fun and very informative for the kids.

This year in April, my 64 yr old sister came out from Texas and insisted on seeing Chinatown. My first and only thought was to call Linda Lee with All About Chinatown. My son even begged to go again and remembered from his first trip, to wear yellow as it is good luck!

Linda Lee made this a once in a life time, memorable trip for my sister. We laughed, joked while she shared her many secrets that "most" do not know!

I highly recomend this tour for all ages!

Lynnann Lazzareschi