Book In Advance
More Information

Ways to Experience All About Chinatown Tours
from $75.00
More Info
All reviews dim sum lunch own experiences excellent tour informative tour private tour small group history interests sf
Selected filters
Reviewed December 29, 2014

Our family met Linda for the tour on a beautiful morning, just a couple of days before Christmas. For over 2 hours, she led us through Chinatown while frequently stopping to share stories. Walking the busy streets exposed us to so much of the Chinese culture, architecture and mystique. Highlights included shopping at a Chinese pharmacy full of ancient remedies, munching on fortune cookies hot off the press, and walking through a food market where our kids marveled at people picking out live toads and turtles for dinner. Do you know which toad tastes better? Linda's accounts of her family, how it was to grow up in Chinatown and how she became educated were very interesting. What endeared us most to Linda was how well she related to our two boys (ages 14 and 15). We loved Linda's sense of humor and how much fun she was to be around. The tour ended with an optional lunch (strongly recommend) at a very clean restaurant in Chinatown. We sat at a big round table with the others in our group and enjoyed perfectly prepared Dim Sum. Everybody had a chance to connect and share details on where they were from. Linda combines her local knowledge and cool personality to provide an extremely enjoyable tour. We are thankful to have met her.

Date of experience: December 2014
1  Thank Scott P
Reviewed December 16, 2014

My wife and I booked this tour based on all the positive TripAdvisor reviews, and we were not disappointed. The tour is laced with great history about the area and the people, much better than simply wandering around with a tour book. Linda did a wonderful job keeping things interesting and was a great guide.

Date of experience: October 2014
1  Thank Steven M
Reviewed November 25, 2014

What a remarkable experience. We meet our guide, Linda - who was fascinating and friendly throughout the tour - and then set off for our adventures. The first one happened when we came across a Chinatown community/SFPD event at Portsmouth Square Plaza (see photo). It rained for most of the morning, but we didn't notice that very much as we happily discovered one thing after another: an herbal pharmacy, the fortune cookie factory, Stockton Street market - I mean, how often does one see a bucket full of frogs? - the Buddhist temple, and finally a Dim Sum lunch that was delicious.

People make the experience worthwhile, and Linda certainly made this a valuable experience for us. It is impossible to fully appreciate a place as rich and diverse as Chinatown but we feel as though we made a good start - and we'll be back.

Date of experience: November 2014
2  Thank Mark H
Reviewed November 18, 2014

I work in the travel industry and find myself in SFO on a somewhat regular basis. Last minute and due to an extra opening in the tour, Linda was able to add one of my work collages to the tour. I was so impressed how quickly Linda got back in touch with me to confirm. I have been to Chinatown many times, however, always wanted to know more. Having someone who grew up in Chinatown tell her own story gave the tour group a much richer idea of the history, and residents of Chinatown. This tour in my opinion is very special. Tour guests are not visiting a local attraction such as the Golden Gate Bridge, or Alcatraz in which your ticket funds go to improve the attraction. With this tour, you are gaining a deeper understanding of the history, and gaining a deeper view of the present daily activities of Chinatown. I would encourage all tour guests to attend lunch with Linda as she explains the local cuisine. After lunch, on Linda’s recommendation, we spent two hours at Vital Tealeaf tasting Chinese teas. Thank you so much Linda, It was very nice spending the day with you and learning about Chinatown.

Date of experience: November 2014
Reviewed October 28, 2014

Our chinatown tour was amazing. Linda, our tour guide, was extremely knowledgeable about the area as she had been born and raised there. I don’t think we could have had a better guide! She had a great sense of humor and kept the tour
lighthearted and fun. Thanks Linda !!

Date of experience: October 2014