Book In Advance
More Information

Ways to Experience All About Chinatown Tours
from $75.00
More Info
All reviews dim sum lunch own experiences excellent tour informative tour private tour small group history interests sf
Selected filters
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Linda Lee was our superb guide for this tour. She's funny, feisty, charming, and very knowledgeable. We learned some of the history of SF's Chinatown, heard about what it's like to grow up and live there, and also learned some the history of Chinese immigrants to the U.S. I had been on a small SF/Chinatown tour before, (Mr. Toad; now out of business,) which couldn't compare with what we saw and learned this time around. Linda exceeded our expectations. Wheelchair visitors wouldn't be able to navigate, but the pace is suitable for anyone who can stroll.

Date of experience: May 2014
1  Thank Bob E
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Linda's Chinatown tour was great. There were just six of us on a Saturday morning (tip: apparently weekends are quieter, so you get more opportunity to ask questions), and everyone had a really enjoyable time. Linda has been doing this for over 30 years, and she is simply very good at it, extremely funny, knowledgeable and professional. Wandering around by yourself means that you'll likely to miss some gems or the significance of what you're seeing. I particularly enjoyed the shop with paper replicas of everything, from a sushi dinner through chauffered limousines to houses, to be bought and then burned so that your ancestors can enjoy such luxuries in the spirit world. There's no way I'd have got this by myself. I also enjoyed learning about the guilds and private clubs, visiting the pharmacy, and watching Linda flourishing a dried gekko on a stick. Lots more as well. It is an absolute bargain.
My lunch was fine, but mostly I enjoyed Linda's company and that of my fellow tourists. I suspect you could get better food elsewhere (although the tofu and beans were good), but it was a pleasant environment and nice to review highlights of the tour.

Date of experience: May 2014
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Hands down, Linda's Chinatown tour exceeded our expectations--- even considering the high bar reviews from others. Considering her vast experience with China town tours she made our small group feel the passion of the sights and culture of Chinatown. We learned so much beyond the typical highlight tour and Q &A exchanges. We highly recommend this tour for any group small or large. visitinh China town..

1  Thank Al P
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I cannot recommend this experience highly enough for classroom teachers! Linda is an exceptionally knowledgable, energetic and engaging guide. She held our boisterous crowd of 18 second graders in her thrall all morning and opened the wonders of Chinatown around them. When I let LInda know about the Laurence Yep book that our class was reading to help "set the stage" for our tour of Chinatown, she took it upon herself to read the book on her own before our date; she wove historical details and events from the book into our tour, only deepening our learners' immersion in our shared experience. My kids absorbed every moment of our experience in Linda's expert care, and we practically flew home on the excitement she generated.
I look forward to building even more preparation into next year's preview to our tour, and I am already looking forward to it. It was, without question, one of the more valuable field trips I have shared with a class, and I encourage teachers of any age to rely upon this invaluable resource to deepen and contextualize study of immigration and Chinese culture.

2  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Linda, just to let you know that the three of us had a wonderful time on your walking tour. The lunch was delicious. It is very obvious that you love what you do and we appreciated the information, stories and chance to explore Chinatown in a different way. I will be happy to let my friends in the Petaluma/Santa Rosa area know about your tour. Thank you, VMerwin