Book In Advance
More Information

Ways to Experience All About Chinatown Tours
from $75.00
More Info
All reviews dim sum lunch own experiences excellent tour informative tour private tour small group history interests sf
Selected filters
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We just happened to be staying in the Chinatown area during the Chinese New Year celebrations. At the last minute I booked the all about Chinatown tour. The owner and tour guide Linda Lee promptly called us back and told us where to meet. Our group was a good size about 12 people from near and far. We introduced ourselves and off we went. We really got an insiders view of the people and culture of Chinatown from someone who grew up there and had intimate knowledge of the area. I had been to Chinatown before on a previous trip to San Francisco. We walked around but had no idea of what we were seeing. I highly recommend this tour and the lunch afterwards. If you are lucky it will give you a chance to get to know more about the people you've spent the morning with over some delicious food and great conversation.

1  Thank MalindaNY
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We took the Chinatown tour with Linda. She knows a lot about the area, and shared some very interesting information, but we didn't feel like we really saw much off the beaten track. Interesting but not a "must do".

Date of experience: January 2014
2  Thank Rhys P
Linda L, Owner at All About Chinatown Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you for your review of the tour. The tour is designed to be a comprehensive visit highlighting the culture and the history of the area. We start off with history, then visit an herbal pharmacy, the food markets, view historic landmarks, stop in at a fortune cookie factory, and end at a temple. I have permission to bring guests not ordinarily open to tour groups, such as the herbal pharmacy and select temples. Many guests have told me that if they had not taken the tour, they would not know where and how accessible some of these places were.
That said, I welcome your suggestions as to what you would have liked to see for an "off the beaten path" tour. It's a delicate balance to be invited but not be intrusive when we tour a community of residents. I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Glad we did the tour but would not do again. Our tour guide was not Linda the owner, so I would agree with other reviewers and stay away if you do not have her. Tour was informative, but was more about SF then Chinatown. Tea tasting was the highlight of the tour. The markets were neat, but we were rushed through the areas so you didn't see much. Do not do the lunch with the tour, for $20 you can do much better by yourself. The lunch was poor and a rip off.

Date of experience: December 2013
2  Thank scholl18
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I took the All About Chinatown Tour. I did the tour about 4 years ago with my sister, but this was my boyfriend's first time to San Francisco and I did not want him to miss out on the great tour. It was the first thing we signed up for when we planned our vacation and it was fabulous.

Linda is one of the best tour guides and knows everything there is to know about Chinatown. I would take this walking tour over and over. Always something new to learn about.

Date of experience: November 2013
1  Thank starin
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed our trip through Chinatown with Linda Lee. Her knowledge and humor made the tour a highlight of our trip to San Francisco. We also signed up for the meal after the tour and had a chance to get to know our guide better.

Date of experience: November 2013