“Try the Shabu shabu”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Buffet
Neighborhood: Japantown
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had prawns w/curry and rice. The prawns were delish..the curry and rice not so. Everyone else in the restaurant was eating Shabu Shabu and were really having a good time. Unlike previous reviews, I was warmly greeted and seated immediately. My waitress was personable and answered all of my food guestions knowledgeably. I did not have breakfast here, but the next night I stopped by and asked them for some 1/2&1/2 for my morning breakfast and was swiftly presented w/a cup of cream and a smile.

There are newer reviews for Mums Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My one meal at Mums was nothing to write home about. Just OK. I did better walking over to Fillmore and up 2-3 blocks. There are a bunch of good cafes there.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

As I was staying at Hotel Tomo I decided to have lunch at Mums cafe on the ground floor. This was hugely disappointing. Apart from the waiter not knowing anything about the menu, the food was mediocre at best. I won't be going back.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Since we were staying at Hotel Tomo, we looked forward to eating at Mum's. Sadly, we didn't have the chance to. When we went in, they were packed. That's all fine and well, since clearly someone was enjoying their services. So we politely let them know that we were hotel patrons, and that we would like to come back a bit later. It must have been about 8 pm. The server rolled his eyes at us and walked away. I'm serious. A moment later, another server passed by, and thinking that perhaps server #1 hadn't heard us and maybe it was just an eyelash, I asked server #2 when a less busy time would be. In a very rude tone, he said they were a very popular restaurant, and that they wouldn't be able to serve us that night at any time. I then asked whether take-out was possible, and he said it wasn't.

So I don't know if it's a great restaurant. But it's a very rude one where they didn't care about our business at all. I wouldn't eat there if you paid for my meal after being treated like that. And for what it's worth, and not that it should matter, we were dressed nicely and everything.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Had a drink at Mum's restaurant so we can't comment on the food. Some of the staff were amazing, some were less than helpful.