“Food great but feels a bit tired”
Review of Osso Steakhouse

Ranked #287 of 6,500 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Lower Nob Hill
Description: We're a splashy new sanctuary of beef-related excellence and all the caviar, vodka and potentially surreptitious courtship that goes along with it.
Reviewed August 4, 2019 via mobile

The steak was fantastic, the lamb chops were very good and the crab stater was pretty good. However, the place felt a bit tired. The service definitely had something to do with that. Our server was not knowledgable on a number of questions we asked, which was disappointing considering the might high price tag. Ambience was slightly lacking as well and it seems like the crowd are not as refined as on previous visits. It's a shame because the food is really good but something needs a life here to bring it up to date.

Date of visit: August 2019
1177osso, General Manager at Osso Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, dicky25

It's great you had a pleasant experience with us. We're happy you enjoyed our dishes
so much. It's pleasing to hear that you loved our steak, lamb chops, and crab starter. However, we're disappointed your time with us was less than ideal and that you had such challenges with our service and ambiance. We care about the satisfaction of our guests so we'll be sure to address your concerns with our team moving forward.

We look forward to hosting you again soon for a more positive experience.

Write a reviewReviews (342)

Reviewed July 16, 2019

Hands down the most flavorful steaks you can eat. The service was exquisite and knowledgeable about steaks, the cuts and how to best prepare the meat. Quiet location in Nob Hill which makes it perfect for a romantic getaway or business meeting.

Date of visit: July 2019
1177osso, General Manager at Osso Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2019

Thanks for the wonderful review!

We're thrilled your time with us was so fantastic! We strive to offer top-notch service alongside our mouthwatering dishes and your praise lets us know we're doing our job. That's what we like to see! We look forward to hosting you again soon for another amazing experience!

Have a beautiful day!

Reviewed June 10, 2019

Just a really nice steak cooked to order. The fish was cooked just right, not overcooked.
Service really good, valet parking. It's not a noisy place.

Date of visit: March 2019
Pamela D, General Manager at Osso Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2019

Thanks for the wonderful review, Rodney!

Have a beautiful day!

Reviewed May 25, 2019 via mobile

A great evening starting with drinks at the bar. The bartenders were friendly and made great drinks. The food menu was very diverse. I’ve eaten at many high-end steakhouses over the years and for me the steak here was the best. I did not find the price is unacceptable for what you got. A special evening type of environment so enjoy it.

Date of visit: May 2019
Pamela D, General Manager at Osso Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2019

Thanks for the amazing review, Wayne!

We're delighted you had such a wonderful experience with us! It's excellent you enjoyed our outstanding menu offerings. We love sharing our passion for delicious food with our guests so we're thrilled to hear that you got to sample so many of our dishes. We aim to please!

We look forward to seeing you again soon for another fantastic meal! Have a fantastic day!

Reviewed April 21, 2019 via mobile

I have been to Osso about 6 times. Everything about them is first class. My choices for great steak are abundant in San Francisco yet I can’t pass on Osso. The best part, my wife is a vegetarian and finds plenty of appetizers and sides that have her suggesting we go to Osso. Outside of the food the staff is superb.

On 4/20/19, about 7pm or so, I had an opportunity to watch, and listen, to the manager deal with an upset customer. The manager, I don’t know her name, did an excellent job with a rude whining customer. I believe the loudmouth, who wanted to be heard by others enjoying themselves, complained about his credit card not being returned for 20 minutes. He was attending a show next door. He was flustered at this and added that his steak was tough. He continued complaining while the manager addressed his concerns. She was very professional and an excellent representative of the restaurant. My two thoughts were; I know Osso checks with guests to see if they are attending a show next door so they can expedite service if needed, I have always been asked when visiting, including the manager checking on my table making sure all is well, and, if I’m paying good money for a steak, and it’s ‘tough’, I’ll know in a couple bites and then rectify the problem. I won’t wait till the check is paid to tell anyone hoping to get a discount. This guy seemed like a cheapskate with a loud mouth. Kudos to the entire staff at Osso for making it my favorite restaurant.

Date of visit: April 2019
Pamela D, General Manager at Osso Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2019

Thank you for the excellent rating, Sheldon!

We're so glad that you've enjoyed your time with us so much. It's wonderful to know that your interactions with our staff have been so positive. We strive to provide each guest with exceptional service and we're so glad that several members of our team went above and beyond to ensure your satisfaction. We'll be sure to pass your compliments along to our team.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Have a beautiful day!