“Hidden Gem”
Review of Osso Steakhouse

Osso Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Osso Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #306 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Description: We're a splashy new sanctuary of beef-related excellence and all the caviar, vodka and potentially surreptitious courtship that goes along with it.
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

How could I walk by this place and not know what
was quietly lurking beyond the pretty motorcourt entry?
I don't think any part of this meal/dining experience could be any better. The Rockstar Host and his Crew nailed it from the moment we walked in despite the fact we had no Reso. Our evening began with amazing pre-dinner cocktails excellently crafted by the sweet and talented Magician behind the bar. I looooved the Basil tini and Mr. had the Ginger tini which was totally delicious too.
I also sampled their house Manhattan with Italian cherries and the perfect curl of orange which sanded the edges off a typically ahemm..assertive drink. Food.. oh if you like the most amazing stretchy sour buttermilk pancakes with salted butter add smoked salmon and you have the MOST HEAVENLY taste profile EVER! Yellowtail was a scandalously thin wisp of clean tasting fish lovingly dressed with finely minced sweet red pepper EVOO? and ponzu smash up.
The house bread was soooo yummy we never got around to the Chorizo style-next time. Salads were good-Beet was probably the most enjoyable. Steaks crispy crunchy toasty outside and red mooey middle perfection. Dessert-barely made space for one but the lemon tart was light and fresh with an extremely delicate crust dusted with confectioners sugar and resting on a lattice of lemon curd plus and little tiny bowl of barely sweetened whipped cream. Perfect ending.
Service is exceptional and it all starts with the mustachio Host. He should be a Corporate trainer and he reminded me that it isn't wrong to have your expectations met or exceeded.
Fabulous addition to the neighborhood!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We went to Osso for dinner toward the end of July. Fantastic all round. Our waiter, Derek, was extremely helpful and knowledgable about both the food and wine. As we were unfamiliar with Californian wines, we went with his recommendation which did not disappoint. For starter we had the crab, which was delicious. We had the bone-in steak for main, which was superbly cooked.

Could not recommend Osso highly enough, if we make it back to San Francisco, we will definitely be returning.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Went here with a group of friends for dinner. We had one in our party who is a picky eater and he loved his dish. Two people in our party ordered the petite fillet and it was cooked to perfection. The filet was accompanied by a simple but delicious twice baked potato. Another one in our party ordered the bone in filet and it was a nice large cut. He stated that it was one of the best steaks he had ever had. I had the scallops which were huge and cooked perfectly in a delicious sauce that was to die for. The sauce was so good that I used the bread to finish up the sauce. Can't wait to visit this place with my wife.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had a great meal at Osso. I had the bone-in filet, she had scallops. Both were fantastic. My filet was huge, prepared perfectly, and probably the best steak I've ever had. Her scallops were large, tender, and very nicely prepared and served in delicious sauce. The food is some of the best I've ever had. The server was not up to the same standards. We were not dressed up (many were dressed in suit/tie etc) and that may have been part of the trouble but it did detract from our overall experience. We will certainly be back if we get the opportunity.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just opened - Great ambiance - a blend of old-school steakhouse with art-deco touches - comfortable and stylish. We started with shrimp and local grilled dungeness crab in a light garlic butter sauce accompanied by an amazing chorizo/cheese bread. And basil vodka martinis. Our steaks: a bone-in NY (excellent flavor) and a thick filet. Sides of twice-baked potato and asparagus. All very tasty, my NY especially. Service was prompt and friendly. Glad to find a place walking distance from the Fairmont. We will definitely be back!