Tripadvisor
San Francisco

“Korean restaurant. Great bipimbap in hot stone bowls!”
Review of 707 Sutter

707 Sutter
Ranked #725 of 6,189 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Korean
Neighborhood: Lower Nob Hill
Neighborhood: Lower Nob Hill
Reviewed July 21, 2016 via mobile

Clean, quiet, attractive restaurant with excellent service. Everyone raved about bipimbap in hot stone bowls. Samplings of small dishes were ok ... such as a cabbage slaw and tofu. Shrimp on stick was way overcooked. Although one of our group is Asian and prefers very hot spicy dishes, the soup he ordered was too heavily spiced. He had to leave the table to recover. Highly recommend for people who enjoy Korean food.

Date of visit: July 2016
Write a reviewReviews (61)

Reviewed January 9, 2016 via mobile

This place was my first time for Korean food, so I cannot say how close is to the original. However, in absolute terms, I liked it a lot. I went two days in a row. The dish "Bi bim bap" served in a hot stone pot is very tasty. There is only one working waitress but she is very efficient and kind. Punchline: a very good place to try out here in San Francisco. Location is also good, 15-20 min walking from Powell Station.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed December 1, 2015

707 Sutter never fails to amaze us. The food is sooooo tasty that I could eat every single day for the rest of my life. Make sure you try their bibimbap! Would definitely recommend it!

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed August 31, 2015

My son brought us to this place and though the other customers were half our age, my husband and myself enjoyed the authentic Korean food. It serves one of the best bibimbap and tteokbokki I have ever tasted. We also enjoyed the fried chicken wings. We tried all three flavours and liked the soy garlic version best. This place stays open till 2 am and we had fried chicken takeout for supper another day. The wings were still hot and crispy when we had it in our hotel room. Yummy, yummy! I only gave it a four-star because service is a bit slow.

Date of visit: August 2015
1  Thank 119Shan
Reviewed August 3, 2015

Just kidding, but this is a very youthful concept. The atmosphere is fun, hip and high energy. If you or any of your group is not or if your looking for a more traditional Korean restaurant experience you may be disappointed. But if your open minded and willing to try a newer kind of experience we recommend you jump right in.

We got there about 9pm a bit later but we wanted to miss any dinner rush and didn't want to a long wait. Our greeting was immediate and we were told they were on a short wait and to please sign into their waiting list. The place was buzzing and there's a gigantic projection screen television featuring Korean Pop video's which are all modern, high energy sometime a bit risqué but definitely fun. This isn't really a dining concept either. It's a people watching, eating, having fun and being amused concept. The patron's are youthful and predominately of Asian decent which we always look for in an Asian concept, duh. We were sat in just a few minutes.

The menu is Korean but it's a bit more easy to read and understand than many. There's plenty of pictures to help sort it out if you don't have any background. Our server came right up bringing a liter of water and ice. The service was fast, efficient and done with a smile. (Maybe the smile's were because we could have been Mom/Dad, Grandpa/Ma to almost everyone;-) But we immediately felt welcome. We ordered Gal-bi, Chix-wings Soy Garlic, Skewers of chicken, gizzard, hearts, scallops & rice. 8 banchan (Korean complimentary side dishes) were delivered immediately. The servings were a bit light about half of a normal banchan BUT the flavors were BIG and that was cool. Just don't eat them all ahead of the meal as they really add to the dining experience.

The food came quickly. The Gal-bi a bit $$$ @ 24 but was exceptional. The Chix Wings were simply the best I have ever had and I'm a restauranteur by profession and wings our one of our specialties and these blow ours away. They portion was generous. The skewers were tasty. The only MINOR hiccup I thought was the gizzards. To prepare them grilled they have to be pre-softened, trimmed or otherwise prepared. These weren't and they were the only disappointment as we couldn't eat them. I only warn about this because as a gizzard lover I would appreciate the warning.

The rest of the food and flavors and service were wonderful. The staff never stops moving. Everyone is taking orders, delivering food, cleaning up, refilling drinks, cashing tables out etc. We never saw anyone standing around, no one was checking their cell phone or even had their back to the customers. Very impressive from my point of view. They're also open very late and I'm sure it gets crazy, crazy after hours.

Family consideration:
I think a family with teenagers would have a fun experience but seriously most younger kids may be overwhelmed by all that is going on, the noise level and frenetic pace. Babies or toddlers I can't imagine any circumstance where they would be happy which we knows equals no one else is happy either. Just saying....

Date of visit: August 2015