“Best layover ever”

4 Hour Self-Guided Tour of San Francisco in a Classic VW Bug
Seoul, South Korea
“Best layover ever”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My 10 y/o daughter and I had an almost 8 hour layover at SFO international so I thought this would be a great way to make the most of our time. Stan greeted us by name as soon as we turned to walk into the parking garage and got us set up with the beautifully restored Bugster 1 complete with GPS and video camera. We were turning heads everywhere we went and received lots of envy-born comments about the car. Stan even took us back to the airport on his way home which saved us alot of trouble. As we were driving back to the garage my daughter said "daddy, thanks for getting us this car". That made it worth every penny and more.
If I am ever back in San Fransisco I will definitely be doing the Bugster experience again!

Kenny

Visited August 2013

Buckley, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highlight of our trip!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My daughter and I rented a bug and toured through the city for 2 hours. I think I would recommend more hours, but our time was limited. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing the city from a vintage bug! The GPS takes you right where you want to go! I was not familiar with the city at all and had no problem! Going up some of those hills were nerve wracking, but we made! Stan was great and contacted us by phone even before I received my online confirmation! We went the next day and everything worked out as we hoped. I think we went to see places that we otherwise would have not seen! Wonderful tour and highly recommended!!

Visited August 2013
Brisbane, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Best way to see San Fran in a day!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

When we were given this half day trip as a wedding gift, I thought OH MY GOD, how are we going to go with this around a city like San Fran! We arrived to be greeted by our lovely host who unveiled the most beautiful vintage VW beetle convertible I've ever seen (1961, mint green) and then showed us how to use the onboard camera (you get given the SD card!) and the GPS with pre-loaded trips/attractions. We travelled over the big red bridge :) up on the hills and down to Sausalito for a coffee, and then back along the bridge and up to the other end of town where we got honked at, cheered at and general applause for being in such a cool vehicle, it was like being a rockstar! In a beetle of all things! Great experience, would do it all over again. Now I need to find a beetle to buy!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank SallySpider
Athlone, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic way to see the city.”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I did this with my wife while working in the bay area. Stan is a very friendly guy and helped us out finding the place to get started. He gave us plenty instruction on how to use the gps and video camera and gave us tips on where to start and where to go from there. Once you get out on the road its fantastic, we had the green "low rider" which drove lovely. And the attention you get is unbelieveable, everybody shouting I love your car or asking you do they mind if they take a photo of your car. I honestly think we would not have got this much attention in a Ferrari Enzo. Lombard street was so much fun we went down it twice!
I could not recomend this experience enough if you want a cool different way of seeing a city.
Thanks for a great day Stan!!!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Martin84_11
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AC VW rentals are a thing! First time cruising SFO”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

A few months prior to a trip planned to San Francisco with friends for Pride, I did a quick hunt for outfits that might offer an air-cooled Volkswagen rental service. I've been a fan of the vehicles since I was 3 years old and with San Francisco being the place of the hippie movement and Herbie the Love Bug, I was half-expecting there to be something (I mean, who wouldn't want their first trip to the Bay Area to include a drive over the Golden Gate bridge in a Volkswagen Beetle??)

Thankfully, my targeted search was fruitful, as the first result that came up was the Bugster experience. We were only in town for a total of 5 days and had nothing specifically planned, but we didn't book ahead, although he graciously managed to squeeze in a time, the day of. The location for pickup is about a block away from Fisherman's Wharf, which is very convenient and the man who set us up was very courteous and helpful.

We took the red and white '72; the newest model of his fleet. It's no Honda Odyssey; the vehicle I'm used to, but my first vehicle was a 74 Bus, so it wasn't hard to get back into the swing of it. It was well-maintained and just a thrill to drive around the city, even starting out on the hills! I didn't know about the dash camera before getting there, which is activated remotely and records clips of the trip to take home, which is a great way to remember the experience!

We ended up using about 30 minutes of the trip searching for the Painted ladies at the wrong side of town due to an error in the GPS, but did find them eventually.

Even if you're not as much of a VW fan as I am, I highly recommend The Bugster Experience as just a different way to see the city. Even my friend who went with me, who grew up with one and isn't really into cars enjoyed the trip!

Visited June 2013