“So absurd it is fantastic - like crashing a 1980s wedding !!”

Tonga Room & Hurricane Bar
Ranked #11 of 329 Nightlife in San Francisco
Reviewed July 27, 2014

What do you get when you cross a Hawaiian theme, with a 80’s cover band floating in the middle of a pool with lots of cocktails ??? Answer: The Tonga Room.

Quite possibly the most bizarre hotel bar I have ever been in. And I have to say that it is so absurd and ridiculous it is hard not to love. With a dance floor in front of the floating band being host to young and old all dancing to Barry White, Van Morrison & The Bee Gees & , it feels like you are crashing a wedding party.

Now the cocktails are expensive, at $14 +/- but there is selection of beer hidden away on the menu if you want to keep the cost down. I didn't eat so cant comment on the food.

There are newer reviews for Tonga Room & Hurricane Bar

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Stayed at the fairmont hotel with family (which was awesome). The concierge mentioned going to tonga room inside the hotel with sons to have appetizers and the kids could see the rain show. The first afternoon we tried to go, the hostess said it would be an hour wait and when we looked inside the place was totally empty. Second afternoon I went ahead of family and the same snotty hostess sat me right away and then family joined me. I can do a kitschy, especially with the kids but this was just plain crappy. The appetizers were average, drinks were super expensive and the big rain show.......(spoiler alert) amounted to a little thunder noise, a strobe light to simulate lightening, and a little sprinkler head tom simulate some rain. I think an amazing hotel like the Fairmont deserves a much better restaurant/bar.

3  Thank John J
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stopped in for Happy Hour. They had a pretty decent special for the happy hour. Appetizer buffett for $10 per person. It included fried rice, chicken wings (2 flavors), egg rolls and some other options. The drinks were a little pricy, but the bar was very fun to visit. It had an indoor rainstorm (the bar is the former pool of the hotel). That was a little contrived, but fun anyway.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Really one of my favorite tiki bars in the world! The drinks are great (a little pricey), but it's all about decor and tropical mood here: indoor thunderstorm, dark lighting, island props, smooth band in the lagoon. I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

This place was a great place for dinner for our family. We went on a Saturday night, so they had live music and entertainment, which was the best. Everyone was up dancing and having a great time. It's a festive, fun, and entertaining place, which I highly recommend. I can't imagine a trip to San Francisco without a trip to the Fairmont Tonga Room. So much fun. Go, enjoy, and pay the money. It will certainly be a memorable experience, even if the food is not. We loved it.

1  Thank NYC425